Starting the upgrade journey...

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2021 at 12:53 AM, Adey74 said:

Been doing some reading on tube amps, but integrateds only. Why a tube pre and SS power and not the other way around?

I'm going to throw in a suggestion. I was round a friends place end of Jan, and he had his 'second system' in the main area... I cam honestly say I was VERY surprised at what I listened to. Music server, Tube pre amp, (was re tubed, recapped and attenuators installed), and matched (very well imo) to a pair of  these. They are active speakers (I believe it's internally bi-amped) and the sound was WAY above their size for bass and image.

Tube pre is usually used to 'smooth/holographic image?/reduce digital 'sharpness' in many recordings.. Pre amp tubes make the biggest difference to the sound presentation compared to output tubes.

JBL Professional 308P MkII 8" Powered Studio Monitors (Pair)

• Like 1

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest not buying based on "no listening" ASR reviews.... 

?

JBL 308P MKII Listening Tests
Ah, what a joy this speaker is to listen to. It has plenty of warm and impactful bass, yet is almost perfectly neutral. I say if I had to listen to it for a long time, I might take down the highs just a bit but that is it.

Gradually turn up the volume with deep bass though and at first, everything sounds wonderful. When you get to pretty loud levels, the sound gets muddy at first before reaching quite distorted levels. It is not distortion you are used to due to limiter. But it is there. Suspecting it was very low frequencies that was giving it trouble, I dialed in this quick filter:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest not buying based on "no listening" ASR reviews.... 

Absolutely agree, but a bit limited in Tassie. I've noticed that it seems most members, and most kit up for sale, are in Victoria. So more hifi heads than NSW, or just more with upgraditis? ?

1 hour ago, Adey74 said:

Absolutely agree, but a bit limited in Tassie. I've noticed that it seems most members, and most kit up for sale, are in Victoria. So more hifi heads than NSW, or just more with upgraditis? ?

I think Melbourne is the Hifi capital of Australia!  ? But I suspect others will soon be complaining about the bloody Mexicans, south of the border,  talking nonsense ... ? 

It is not too bad on the hip pockets if you test gear from the Classifieds and resell if not up to your standard.  That, to some extent, makes up for being in Tassie...

On 29/01/2021 at 4:47 PM, Adey74 said:

Okay, so firstly, hello everyone - it's been great reading all the advice and opinions offered in these forums - certainly helped clarify where I want to head on my hifi journey...

I am finally in a position (I think) where I can think about upgrading my gear. We have recently bought our forever house and I have a dedicated listening and reading room - not huge, but a kid-free zone...

Gear:

Yamaha R-N602 network receiver.

Thorens TD-295 mkIV (present from my wife...)

Ortofon 2M Red

Pro-ject Phono Box S2

Denon DV1940 as CD transport

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Mission m74i speakers.

I listen to an even mix of vinyl, CDs and have started streaming Tidal HiFi. The Yamaha is great for streaming but I feel it is time to step up. I would like to upgrade the TT also, but it has sentimental value so restricted to upgrades only.

I would like to future proof my system, so looking at a good secondhand integrated, combined with a Node 2i on DAC/streaming duty, and eventually new speakers.

So, am I on the right track? Basically looking to improve the soundstage and timing.

Any advice appreciated.

Lots of good advice in my humble opinion.  Anyway here is my two cents worth.  Sorry to be prosaic but MONEY.  One of the best ways to save dosh is to go to ONE source.  Streaming (personally yuck) or Disc spinner or vinyl.  The reality is that digital sources (streaming or disc spinner) are overwhelmingly cheaper than vinyl.  The digital sources (CD player, Universal player, Computer and DAC, streamer) are all good and (allow me an oxymoron) all above average.  So spend your dosh on amplification and speakers. The default is to go for speakers.  I concur with the majority that speakers make the most difference.  My take however is that the  power amplification and shoudl be seen as one.  So if you want to upgrade the speakers please do not do that without consideration of the (power) amplification.

Please see this as a journey, not a a once-in-a-lifetime decision that you must get right.

• Thanks 1

Tend to agree on the multiple sources rationalisation. Had the intention of taking up a vinyl habit but so expensive! So I am restricting vinyl as a 'special occassion' purchase. I had been feeling a bit down as I had lost my hard drive with all my music files in the move to Tassie, but on second thought all these files were compressed anyway - no real loss. So the focus is streaming - CD quality initially, and then perhaps hi-res when my equipment can handle it.

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
On 29/01/2021 at 4:51 PM, Adey74 said:

Also, are floorstanding speakers overkill in a room this size? I'm not a basshead so don't need oodles of bass, so perhaps a standmount would be best?

So the thing is that standmounts require stands,  Smaller floorstanders can be a better bet, if you think of them as a standmount with the stand built in, and you don't have to worry about getting the "right" stand either...

Also, you don't have to be a basshead to appreciate a system with deeper bass (lower frequencies) done well. If a floorstander goes down a few Hz lower, it's probably a bonus - as long as it doesn't boom.

If you're placing your standmounts on furniture (don't forget some sort of isolation if you do!) and don't need the stands, of course, that is a different matter.

On 29/01/2021 at 1:33 PM, Adey74 said:

Thanks guys - I'm looking to spend around ~3k on amp, similar on speakers, which will presumably be the bigger ticket items. Room is about 4.5m by 4m, and listen to a range of music but mainly alt-folk, vocal-driven pop, electronica and getting into prog as I get older! 

Something that might be harder to do, but it will make a larger difference than some of the equipment: room dimensions...

A square room has some serious bass and frequency response issues that will wreck havoc on your listening experience. And even if you spend a ton on good quality speakers, they may not perform to their best if the room nodes kill the listening experience.

May I suggest you consider expanding the room or cutting the size down a wee bit so it's more rectangular in shape?

I have a room which is almost similar in dimensions and I had to go through a lot to fix it. 

Also, I would say, a good set of bookshelf speakers will be pretty nice unless you're a bass fiend :) Much easier bass management, and my mains go down to the 30s... so I don't really feel that bass is an issue. On days I'm using the HT side of things, I just fire up the two JL Audios... 

You can see what I use in my signature...