The Audiophile’s Guide, PS Audio

5 hours ago, metal beat said:

Where is the vinyl?  ?

Vinyl and Tape coming soooooonn......

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

8 minutes ago, mmv said:

Any good?

It depends on your experience and knowledge, I’ve had it for about 6 weeks. I had a quick 15 minute flick through it when I got it and I didn’t find anything new and illuminating, haven’t read it since, I probably should though.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, mmv said:

Any good?

I have been playing around with room treatment speaker placement for over 10 years and still learning something new with this guide. awayward could be correct not finding anything new reading through thew book. Playing the CD while referencing the book is where the magic is. I went through the CD a couple of times toeing in and moving forward speakers where you hear the changes as you go.Example listening to the voice track while the singer moves from the microphone you hear the depth of sound in your speakers.We all have reference music to play while testing speakers where this CD examples breaks it down   for beginners  to experts .

Stump

• Like 5

I’ve been a regular watcher of Paul McGowan’s YouTube channel for a number of months now. What I think he does so well is distilling potentially complex and technical subjects into something most people can understand and he does it in a friendly and engaging manner. He’s a good story teller. 

Thats is exactly what he’s done this book which gives it the impression of being a beginners guide. I’ve also read Jim Smith’s Get Better Sound. They both cover basically the same areas but Jim goes down to a lower level of technical detail with some subjects which Paul never does.

I agree with @Stump that the CD of targeted reference recordings is where the real value is for anyone setting up or fine tuning their system.

Its also the first time I’ve seen any book try to explain the process of critical listening and what to listen for. Very useful.

• Like 1

This come very handy and just in time as im dialling my system in. 

Currently ive utilised the 1/3 rule. Now want to see what paul has to offer. 

• Like 1

Thanks Stump,

Have also ordered the book and SACD and am keen to see if it can add anything to my system set-up and sound.  

I found Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High-End Audio (Fifth edition) an excellent read. First of all it recognises you can get great sound without spending extraordinary dollars. It recognisises the importance of listening and the room and then provides both simple explanations of system components and performance as well as further in depth reporting on certain aspects of hi-fi.

PS. One of life's little coincidences that makes you think you may be on the right track. I was updating my profile given a system reorganisation mainly bought about by acquiring a PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC via SNA Classifieds. I was trying to remeber the proper title of Robert Harley's book so I Googled it and up popped up both that and a reference to the PS Audio guide. I thought that might be interesting given I have a positive impression of  Paul McGowan. Then I save my profile change, flick over to SNA main page and see a reference to this thread and the same book! You gotta give it a go in those circumstances don't you?

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I agree with @Stump that the CD of targeted reference recordings is where the real value is for anyone setting up or fine tuning their system.

Its also the first time I’ve seen any book try to explain the process of critical listening and what to listen for. Very useful.

PS Audio's Reference System. He does go off track a bit in his old age.....

Whatever you do, don't order the book from Amazon! According to the reviews it looks like a cheap automatic read/print copy and is nearly illegible.

i had a quick read and play around with the CD.

for me nothing really new - singer's distance thing was good for me to determine the depth of sound stage. i can clearing hear the difference between 3 fee and 6 feet. only slightly between 6 feet and 9 feet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, genkifd said:

i had a quick read and play around with the CD.

for me nothing really new - singer's distance thing was good for me to determine the depth of sound stage. i can clearing hear the difference between 3 fee and 6 feet. only slightly between 6 feet and 9 feet.

Did you move your speakers during your play around?

On 04/04/2021 at 3:23 PM, KRSDarwin said:

I found Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High-End Audio

I do have McGowan's book  and CD.  For my purposes the best for me has been "Get better sound" by Jim Smith, plus his Quarter Notes and occasional articles in the PS Audio "Copper" .

John

42 minutes ago, Assisi said:

For my purposes the best for me has been "Get better sound" by Jim Smith

Thanks John,

I have seen that advertised.  Given I have just been moving speakers around experimenting I have decided to invest in the book, I can also let my son read it for his system.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Stump said:

Did you move your speakers during your play around?

i have done what he suggested before i received the book and cd. i have been playing around with speaker positioning for about 4 weeks now

• Like 1