Got a $130 line EMI meter from Ebay today and was keen to try it out. (image 1)

Plugged it into the closest wall socket and got a reading of around 1650 mv (image 2)

Next I tried the filtered socket on a Thor Smart Filter and the reading was 809 mv (image 3)

Next, expecting even better results from the Isotek Sigmas Evo3 (image 4)

Tried all the connections and the reading came in around 1690 mv on the Sigmas
(image 5).

Hmm, either the meter is faulty else the Sigmas makes exactly zero difference (and it's on a dedicated power circuit to boot!).

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9648.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

IMG_9643.jpeg

IMG_9641.jpeg

• Like 1

The bluehorizon looks a little more expensive than the one I got but still.

The meter must be doing something because the readings dropped by half with the Thor filtered board I bought when they were on special for $30!

It seems like the Isotek Sigmas isn’t doing a great deal right now. 😞

Edited by Tim D
Spelling

Yeah it is too expensive.

Very interesting mate. Would be worth contacting Isotek. Notice much difference with your stereo connected to it vs the wall?

29 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Yeah it is too expensive.

Very interesting mate. Would be worth contacting Isotek. Notice much difference with your stereo connected to it vs the wall?

Done that.  They have the same EMI meter and said maybe it's not the last word in reliable readings.

Now the sun has gone down and all those pesky solar panels have stopped working for the day I thought I'd go and try again.

This time, straight to the wall gives me 1047 mV.

Plugged into the Sigmas I get 233 mV.

Interesting how it has made a difference this time and not a couple hours ago.  Maybe listening at night time really does make an improvement!

I will plug the Thor power board in tomorrow and see how it goes with the stereo connected (as suggested by Isotek as well).

IMG_9654.jpeg

IMG_9656.jpeg

Edited by Tim D
bolding
9 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

Interesting Results Tim.    Not what I would expect.  I have an evo 3 myself.  😬

Ever tried one of these noise meters?  

Trouble with this stuff is that I am sure some of the improvements may** be imagined but when there is doubt about the results you do start to wonder.  😞

2 minutes ago, Tim D said:

Ever tried one of these noise meters?  

Trouble with this stuff is that I am sure some of the improvements may** be imagined but when there is doubt about the results you do start to wonder.  😞

No. I’ve never tried one.  The results your getting at different times of day are of real interest though Tim

Oh, and plugged into the Thor power board again..  346 mV.  (down from over 800 mV earlier today)

IMG_9658.thumb.jpeg.aede24c23f4e6a1a8825daf6ad6943fc.jpeg

• Like 1