Which eBay TDA1541/TDA1543 Dac - Looking for thoughts and opinions.

Getting a little itchy with my current DACs and am looking at picking up one of these unknown TDA1541 DACs from eBay. For reference my current DACs are a Chord Mojo and Airist R2R. Not a huge fan of the Mojo though. 

I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts, opinions or experience on the below. I'm shooting blind here so anything will help. 

TDA 1541 dachttps://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA1541A-Non-OverSampling-NOS-DAC-with-Philips-Forum-10th-anniversary-board/174582433275?hash=item28a5ec85fb:g:kiIAAOSw74pfh44t

This one looks the most appealing - but to my untrained eyes looks very basic on the inside with that tiny power supply. 

Lite Dac-AHhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LITE-Audio-DAC-AH-D-A-converter-Processor-TDA1543-x8/322543092648?hash=item4b191103a8:g:7IcAAOSw4CFYzBIK

Definitely a more popular one, since I've heard of it before this little investigation - but still, reviews are tough to come by. 

Teradak V2.7Dhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-NEW-TeraDak-V2-7D-DAC-TDA1543-NOS-DAC-26D-96k-24bit-COAXIAL-OPTICAL-input/132760542360?hash=item1ee9251c98:g:atoAAOSw6rFeVeXt

Teradak ARE somewhat reliable I think. The Chameleon had bass issues IIRC but otherwise was great. This one is an option but can't find any performance notes on it. 

TDA DAC enhancedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA1540-DAC-enhanced-version-of-the-whole-machine/274387268158?hash=item3fe2c1723e:g:~bwAAOSwe~Ze2NVX

This one is interesting. I seem to recall people having a good experience with it on these forums. Its a little expensive for something unknown and I could pick up a Border Patrol DAC for around the same money. 

HiFi TDA1543https://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-TDA1543-Audio-DAC-COAX-OPT-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-CM6631-USB-Card-DSD/283796099835?hash=item421390d2fb:g:2ZsAAOSwa-hdz3Sm

There are quite a few variants of this one available on eBay - I can't find anything about them anywhere, but I'm guessing somebody must have tried them. 

Waiting Audio D/A Converterhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/WAITING-AUDIO-D-A-converter-DAC-TDA1541-Western-Electric-output-transformer/124090533102?hash=item1ce45f44ee:g:q3AAAOSwk1haBDTF

By far the most interesting one - but no info available. Also quite expensive - but the Western Electric output transformer is very intriguing. 

Abbass Audio Dac Z - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC-Z-abbasaudio-TDA1543-CS8414-NOS-2-8v-RMS-6CC42-5670-assembled-device/174613355465?hash=item28a7c45bc9:g:MgQAAOSw5dJbcLDV

Really intrigued by this guys products - they look excellent and he has a very small following online, albeit no real reviews. The Dac Z is the cheapest one, but there are others that look great too. I'm not a huge fan of the tubes in Dacs and most of his DACs seem to use the TDA1543 chip not the 1541. 

Any ideas? 

Well, of those you've listed my vote would go to the follow two DAC's in the following order:

Abbas Audio Dac Z - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC-Z-abbasaudio-TDA1543-CS8414-NOS-2-8v-RMS-6CC42-5670-assembled-device/174613355465?hash=item28a7c45bc9:g:MgQAAOSw5dJbcLDV

Fantastic little DAC with far better bass and solidity to the sound than is the norm for TDA1543 DAC's, which are ordinarily a bit soft in the bass and rolled off in treble. The way these are implemented gives better extension at both ends and its a lovely musical sounding DAC. TDA1543 will never match a well implemented TDA1540 or 1541 in terms of fine, natural detail though. The key phrase here is well implemented as there are many DAC's out there using the TDA1543, 1540 and 1541, though this is the only one to get it right that I've heard. Try steer clear of DAC's using OPAMPS for amplification. Keep to discrete output stages.

A mate of mine found it a bit dry sounding for his liking so bypassed the electrolytic output caps with 0.1uf U-Cap Copper Foil Teflon caps for a minimal cost difference. Apparently a massive improvement in sound stage, and a rich detailed sound. The thing to remember is that the DAC Z is their bottom of the range DAC so compromises have been made. The rolling the tube will have no impact on sound quality as it's actually a tube DEM clock. Part of the reason for its excellent treble and bass. It's solid sound to a certain extent comes from the US of germanium transistors, and it's overall voicing from the use of the special vintage wire they use. Basically it's better than other DAC's in it's price range but a simple pair of bypass caps can make a big improvement. Abbas equipment is very special  :)

TDA DAC enhancedhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA1540-DAC-enhanced-version-of-the-whole-machine/274387268158?hash=item3fe2c1723e:g:~bwAAOSwe~Ze2NVX

Request this one configured for NOS mode operation. The DAC really does nothing wrong and being based on the TDA1540D is a musical sounding DAC while having no compromises in terms of fine detail, naturalness etc. The higher end Abbas products still stomp it though.

Another thought though is that you could try one of Abbas rather expensive RCA leads. Not much less than the DAC Z however they do seem to really bring performances to life in a way that no other interconnect I've used has ever done. It's almost like a tube effect, or high quality transformers. Just incredible. 

To definitely stay away from

HiFi TDA1543 https://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFi-TDA1543-Audio-DAC-COAX-OPT-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-CM6631-USB-Card-DSD/283796099835?hash=item421390d2fb:g:2ZsAAOSwa-hdz3Sm

I bought 2 of these for myself and 1 for a mate.... All 3 were defective with a static sound playing though. I'd steer clear of this one.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, heman_ said:

Getting a little itchy with my current DACs and am looking at picking up one of these unknown TDA1541 DACs from eBay. For reference my current DACs are a Chord Mojo and Airist R2R. Not a huge fan of the Mojo though. 

I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts, opinions or experience on the below. I'm shooting blind here so anything will help. 

TDA 1541 dachttps://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA1541A-Non-OverSampling-NOS-DAC-with-Philips-Forum-10th-anniversary-board/174582433275?hash=item28a5ec85fb:g:kiIAAOSw74pfh44t

This one looks the most appealing - but to my untrained eyes looks very basic on the inside with that tiny power supply. 

Lite Dac-AHhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LITE-Audio-DAC-AH-D-A-converter-Processor-TDA1543-x8/322543092648?hash=item4b191103a8:g:7IcAAOSw4CFYzBIK

Definitely a more popular one, since I've heard of it before this little investigation - but still, reviews are tough to come by. 

Teradak V2.7Dhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-NEW-TeraDak-V2-7D-DAC-TDA1543-NOS-DAC-26D-96k-24bit-COAXIAL-OPTICAL-input/132760542360?hash=item1ee9251c98:g:atoAAOSw6rFeVeXt

Teradak ARE somewhat reliable I think. The Chameleon had bass issues IIRC but otherwise was great. This one is an option but can't find any performance notes on it. 

Any ideas? 

I started my dac journey 12 years ago with these ebay TDA1541 and 43 variants.  As @MattyW said re: tda1543's in nos mode, i found it to be quite velvety, mellow, rich, spacious sounding.  The design used 4 or 8 of these chips in parallel from memory. Bass wasn't as tight as the 1451a.  The Lite AH i had was a COEM audio modded version, which was a bit of a step up that it came with large Clarity caps (cant remember the values used) and it improved on the 'boogie' factor and made it more versatile.  The Teradak was quite an improvement over these, but again, at that point in time off my dac journey, there were much better offerings on the market, so this went as well.

At that point in time (circa 2011-2012) the 'Killer' dac was the best i heard, but that was a DIY job and each owner had thier own mods done to it.  I'm willing to take a punt and say that the Abbas Audio variants are some of the better versions available commercially (although DIY via ebay) that you could buy.  As there are may reclocking devices avail today, NOS on these dacs are the way to go..

Edited by MrBurns84
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

At that point in time (circa 2011-2012) the 'Killer' dac was the best i heard, but that was a DIY job and each owner had thier own mods done to it.  I'm willing to take a punt and say that the Abbas Audio variants are some of the better versions available commercially (although DIY via ebay) that you could buy.  As there are may reclocking devices avail today, NOS on these dacs are the way to go..

KillerDAC is still alive and well and now produced by order in a consistent and very refined manner. I suggest it'd best the Abbas etc, however it's in another price bracket altogether. 

All NOS, some getting updated with smarter newer reclocking etc bits. 384kHz when you want.

43 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

KillerDAC is still alive and well and now produced by order in a consistent and very refined manner. I suggest it'd best the Abbas etc, however it's in another price bracket altogether. 

All NOS, some getting updated with smarter newer reclocking etc bits. 384kHz when you want.

Thing to remember is there are also much higher end Abbas DAC's as well such as the one in my signature.... It's actually about midrange however $3,400 is as far as I was able to stretch my budget. As with anything, you get what you pay for. I agree though that the Killer is the only DAC I'm aware of could go a serious head to head with them though they're all different so it's a bit hard to say really. 

The Abbas Audio and Killer DAC approach to audio with respect to materials used is actually very very similar.  :)

Edited by MattyW

Out of the ones in the OP, the TDA1540 DAC enhanced version is the pick for sure! But I have no idea on those Abbas Z things, I tend to look at the TDA1540 and TDA1541 mostly.

Outside those the Killer and the higher end Abbas DAC's of course.

There have been a couple of interesting designs on diyaudio also.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

The TDA1540D is the top choice there out of those listed. At the price they currently go for though you could get a standard Abas Audio DAC2.2 TDA1541 DAC. Note though that would be the non SE version. It would still better the Chinese TDA1540D for a similar cost though build and delivery of the Chinese DAC is far faster.  I believe Chinese New Year is coming up though which would slow things considerably. You'd still have it before an Abbas though.  Shipping from the Ukraine is slow.

Edited by MattyW

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

The Abbas Audio and Killer DAC approach to audio with respect to materials used is actually very very similar.  :)

Indeed they are. Slightly different execution. You'd get an Abbas a lot faster though, and I don't think anyone would be honestly unhappy with either.

Thank you for the responses. 

Yes, Killerdac is a little out of reach.

I wish that the Waiting Audio DAC had some internal pictures, because that would also seem to be built along the same lines as the KillderDac/Abbass dacs. Also I secretly love the aesthetic. 

Abbas also has this new-er one, the DAC U which comes it at an even higher price than the 2.2 SE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC-U-SE-abbasaudio-5687-EZ35-PCM63K-black-gate-klangfilm-parts/363273416380?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

DAC Z might be it - though the Abbas 0.1SE would seem to have a lot more jammed into it for <$900. 

But good to know that the Abbas stuff is the real deal

Edited by heman_
  • Like 1

@MattyWI'm very close to pushing go on the Dac Z... but do you have any other review notes you can share?

I'm wondering if you can attest to the DAC's quietness/background, and if it is dead silent in operation. 

I also don't think I would be changing any caps or anything - do you think it is still worth it? 

Appreciate the help! 

On 29/01/2021 at 8:42 AM, heman_ said:

@MattyWI'm very close to pushing go on the Dac Z... but do you have any other review notes you can share?

I'm wondering if you can attest to the DAC's quietness/background, and if it is dead silent in operation. 

I also don't think I would be changing any caps or anything - do you think it is still worth it? 

Appreciate the help! 

All of the Abbas products have an inky black background. Best sources I've ever run in this respect even compared to full solid state only sources. They're very unusual in this respect. The only tube components I've ever run with absolutely zero hum. The DAC Z only uses a tube for the DEM clock so thats not even a consideration.

Whether it's worth it to you would purely come down to how you enjoy the sound signature. My mate found it a bit dry sounding due to the use of electrolytics caps on the outputs but he's very sensitive to such things and tends to prefer a fairly coloured presentation. In his case he added 0.1uf U-Cap CuTf bypass caps across the electrolytics. He didn't replace any caps. If you already enjoy how it sounds then there's absolutely no need to do anything similar.

That said, such a change if necessary is about the easiest change you can possibly make.  :)

The bypasses are the caps circled red and those bypassed circled green, soldering the lead on the other side of the board. You just unddo the 4x little nuts and bolts to do this. For some reason unknown to me he also drilled holes and moved the board more to the right. Used hot glue to fix the bypass caps in place.

bypasses.thumb.jpg.0121b3e68816394ab61cdf22dd27a6f0.jpg

Edited by MattyW

Great to hear more descriptions of some of these oldskool DAC chip choices - and the small businesses making them - especially Abbas Audio stuff ? .... I am about to suggest to a mate to go for the DAC Z or Abbas 0.1SE... (not the more pricey ones, as $ is a factor). Also nice to hear more precisely of this DAC Z iteration of TDA1543 implementation. 

Not having heard these, but I have corroborated with @MattyW a while ago regarding this subject, and having myself an NOS TDA1543 DAC / CD 'custom' player from UK, I can attest that it is possible (with this chip implemented well) to have a Black background. With Profound Bass .... and Naturally rich mids and highs. I have noticed the highs are slightly rolled off when compared to DACs 5-10X more pricey, but not more than a Rolloff factor of 10-15 % as a ballpark figure. 

Also FYI @heman_ I have been cruising for fun on the USaudio mart from the compfort of my 'puter (I am not in buying mode at this time- and I am in Australia) and perhaps there are some items of interest for you. Resolution Opus 21 CD/Dac .... just one example. I have been mainly searching for CD players that also have a DAC input function, but also can be great examples of 1541 era players  with mods etc.. .  

Do let us know how you go mate. 

lcas06 is the Ebay seller's name. UK style so 240V not 120V American style so may not work for the OP. But.... works for us Down Under. He has (had) various electronic equipment, including stand alone Dacs, but mainly cd players (with mostly 1541, 43, 45, 47, and 49) with NOS mods, new capacitors, etc, and sometimes digital input via USB, as mine is, but also he has produced units with optical/Coax inputs with the TDA1541 chip. Also a few years ago he did have some players with aptx bluetooth fitted in. (In old Sony and Marantz units - very Retro/Restomod style!)

Exchange rate was better 3-4 years ago, lately not so good now here AUD/ GB. 

Happy listening.

Thanks for the information @akjono

USaudiomart...you have to input your address just to make an account which is off-putting. But has more items than audiogon at least. 

There are definitely some gems on there though. For example, I would take a change on this if I could: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649541432-mhdt-laboratory-nos-dac/

Another DAC to consider is a used Border Patrol  SE. Uses TDA1543 rather than 1541

They come up used for $900 US regularly. Just the voltage to consider and I don't know if the TX allows a primary V change

I'm after one but other things keep getting in the way!

That mhdt labs NOS 1543 Dac looks great @heman_. "Cheap and Cheerful" as we say Down Under. Great price so can't go wrong... might as well contact him/her and see if they will post to you. Unless you have some 3rd Cousins twice removed there in Ontario! 

Above the Border Patrol was received quite well in the day....(just some years back). Must be a good reason for it! 

Good luck on the search.

9 hours ago, heman_ said:

Thanks for the information @akjono

USaudiomart...you have to input your address just to make an account which is off-putting. But has more items than audiogon at least. 

There are definitely some gems on there though. For example, I would take a change on this if I could: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649541432-mhdt-laboratory-nos-dac/

HiFiDIY TDA1541A - rare but friggn' excellent. Have one here at the moment, a well-built kit by a member here who I am happy to put you in touch with. He sold them as new for uner AUD$1k - very impressive for that money.

On 02/02/2021 at 9:34 AM, heman_ said:

Not sure about it looking special, and It's been on sale since November with no takers.

Looks like he will only ship within the USA. An if he does ship here the cost will be noticeable from the US, and that is USD the price so once you add these up it doesn't look that good, but that's just my view.

I don't see an output stage apart from the V-Caps, it's a voltage out DAC chip so it may be just them, but then there might be op amps on the underside of the board *shrug.

He also has it advertised on UK Audiomart and Head Fi forums, funny enough on UK Audiomart it states ships to United States.

https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649672531-core-audio-kuma-se-dac/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/core-audio-kuma-se-dac-with-singxer-su-1-combo.948075/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So - quite a busy week on my end. 

First thing, I missed out on a BorderPatrol SE Dac that was $750 USD

But then I ended up buying something completely different that hasn't been mentioned in the thread...

Metrum Acoustic Flint DAC TWO. Found a good deal on this at $350 USD

Very excited to get it - from what I have read, its essentially a standalone DAC portion of the Metrum Amethyst. 

I'll post some notes once I get it! 

Edited by heman_

Not in the subject line but want to add the TDA1387. I recently got a Teradak TDA1387 dac HAT for my Raspberry Pi and I was quite amazed of the quality I got by simply putting it on top of a Pi 4 and powering the Pi with a half decent power supply. 

@MattiW, you recommended at least a couple of TDA1387 DACs here as well as elsewhere. Can you provide the references as well as your updated feedback?  I am interested in getting one of those with potentially doing some improvements, until I save the funds for my target TDA1541 DAC. 

EDIT: Apologies. I already asked the question and got the answer. This was recommended at the time: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001202155569.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d607fbdV8tMLm&algo_pvid=e74c5fc4-f96f-44a2-aff9-3e421dab24ec&algo_expid=e74c5fc4-f96f-44a2-aff9-3e421dab24ec-0&btsid=0b0a556616130426643188375e2e8e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I have now an HDPlex 300 with with a spare rail I can use to power this DAC, so might have a go at this price. 

Edited by al2813

On 11/02/2021 at 5:55 PM, al2813 said:

Not in the subject line but want to add the TDA1387. I recently got a Teradak TDA1387 dac HAT for my Raspberry Pi and I was quite amazed of the quality I got by simply putting it on top of a Pi 4 and powering the Pi with a half decent power supply. 

@MattiW, you recommended at least a couple of TDA1387 DACs here as well as elsewhere. Can you provide the references as well as your updated feedback?  I am interested in getting one of those with potentially doing some improvements, until I save the funds for my target TDA1541 DAC. 

EDIT: Apologies. I already asked the question and got the answer. This was recommended at the time: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001202155569.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5d607fbdV8tMLm&algo_pvid=e74c5fc4-f96f-44a2-aff9-3e421dab24ec&algo_expid=e74c5fc4-f96f-44a2-aff9-3e421dab24ec-0&btsid=0b0a556616130426643188375e2e8e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I have now an HDPlex 300 with with a spare rail I can use to power this DAC, so might have a go at this price. 

Yes, these are the best I've heard under the $700 mark. Nothing else really comes close and it's really very cheap too. From $700 and up I suggest Abbas Esoteric Audio all the way.

Whenever I setup a system for friends or family it has one of these 8x TDA1387 DAC's. I also use the USB powered, USB only variant for my home and work computers. 

Edited by MattyW