SONY announce new flagship ALPHA 1 / a1 mirrorless camera

yeah, just finished watching videos and press, mind blowing specs...now can anyone lend me 4 kidneys so I can buy one of these?¬†ūüėā

2 hours ago, ArthurDent said:

And only $10k in Australia

bargain right?¬†ūüėā

3 minutes ago, kukynas said:

bargain right?¬†ūüėā

If it fits your use case and allows you to do something you previously couldn't it might well be a bargain.

It doesn't seem well aligned to casual users or general photography though.

2 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

If it fits your use case and allows you to do something you previously couldn't it might well be a bargain.

It doesn't seem well aligned to casual users or general photography though.

for me and I can imagine for most of us a wish with such a price tag but as you said for some pro consumers it might be a perfect tool they were waiting for no matter cost 

I think it's the point where a sports/reportage camera coincides with a bird/wildlife camera.

Really fast response, fast frame rate, and enough resolution to satisfy bird and wildlife photogs and allow significant cropping.

For reporters/photographers who need video and stills for more than just newspaper or web reproduction it should be a godsend.

I think everyone could benefit from its potential but not everyone would fully utilize its capabilities, given the price I think it would be mainly for sports, wild life and wedding shooters 

Serious $$$    I am seeing a few photographers on the Canon forum I frequent moving to the Sony system and they have been waiting for this camera, been a case of do they move from the EF to RF system (R5) or do a complete change to the Sony system.   I agree the priority on Sony seems to be on shooting video plus some stills.  Interestingly I went down the path a few years ago of trying to travel with a single camera with video on a DSLR (canon 6D) and invested in a frame, audio controller, XLR mics etc .. I just found the setup time and manual zooming a pain in the proverbial, plus Canon had crippled the 6D in the video department.  I gave up and upgraded my pro video camera (Sony), which has tremendous control on zooming, with variable and an adjustable gain rate that I use for shooting distance sequences of steam trains, off a tripod. 

As an aside, I was given a small gig shooting onboard a steam train recently for some extra promo clips they wanted and as part of this did some video in the loco cab on the return journey which is a relatively small, busy, loud and rough riding space, I used my 5Div/16-35mm at wide angle setting hand held, with a stereo mic and monitoring headphones, and I was impressed with the result, especially as it was night time for half my shooting, and some of the clips also made the final promo which was pleasing.   Just arrived is a DGI stabiliser which I will now get used to with the 5Div to do better at hand held, though would have been hard to use in the loco cab as it was one handed and hold on for your life when at speed.  I put together a 15m rough edit of the train video for my railway Facebook friends, FB low quality but was a lot of fun if you are interested.   https://www.facebook.com/rosco.godwin/videos/10224728392382945 

Edited by Rosco8
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, Rosco8 said:

Serious $$$    I am seeing a few photographers on the Canon forum I frequent moving to the Sony system and they have been waiting for this camera, been a case of do they move from the EF to RF system (R5) or do a complete change to the Sony system.   I agree the priority on Sony seems to be on shooting video plus some stills.  Interestingly I went down the path a few years ago of trying to travel with a single camera with video on a DSLR (canon 6D) and invested in a frame, audio controller, XLR mics etc .. I just found the setup time and manual zooming a pain in the proverbial, plus Canon had crippled the 6D in the video department.  I gave up and upgraded my pro video camera (Sony), which has tremendous control on zooming, with variable and an adjustable gain rate that I use for shooting distance sequences of steam trains, off a tripod. 

As an aside, I was given a small gig shooting onboard a steam train recently for some extra promo clips they wanted and as part of this did some video in the loco cab on the return journey which is a relatively small, busy, loud and rough riding space, I used my 5Div/16-35mm at wide angle setting hand held, with a stereo mic and monitoring headphones, and I was impressed with the result, especially as it was night time for half my shooting, and some of the clips also made the final promo which was pleasing.   Just arrived is a DGI stabiliser which I will now get used to with the 5Div to do better at hand held, though would have been hard to use in the loco cab as it was one handed and hold on for your life when at speed.  I put together a 15m rough edit of the train video for my railway Facebook friends, FB low quality but was a lot of fun if you are interested.   https://www.facebook.com/rosco.godwin/videos/10224728392382945 

Nice video

It would be interesting to see the histogram of shots taken inside the engine cabin, I'm not sure what would be brighter, the engines furnace or the train drivers Hawaiian shirt ūüė≤

Reminds me of traveling on Sydney's old "Red Rattlers", they were a adrenaline junkies dream if the door were open, which they usually were in the heat of summer.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Haha 1