Help problem solve my Sonnet Morpheus!

In my right channel only, I notice the woofer move slowly in and out, before popping and cracking. This continues with the music paused, and also happens when I’m using the TV as my source.

-my system is a node2i connected to my Morpheus via coax

-tv connected to Morpheus via optical

-Morpheus connected to a pair of Bryston 7b3 via balanced cables

-Brystons driving a pair of pmc mb2se

ive ruled out the sources and it happens with both tv and node, I also swapped the channels on the back of the Morpheus and the problem moved to the left channel, with I think rules out the brystons and pmc’s. I can’t attach a video of the problem, but the woofer moves with large travel at about 0.5-1hz, and then pops violently. This isn’t all the time, just randomly.

How long have you had the equipment ? If it only recently then there is the  possibility  of a induced beat frequency caused by mains coupling or a cabling hum loop. How close are the Bryston amplifiers to each other  or  any of the digital  source   equipment ?   The  inter connecting cables could also be suspect.

Is it happeing with no source connected to the amps?

Is it happening with no source connected to the Morpheus?

Have you swapped those balanced cables between channels - Morpheus to Bryston?

It sounds like a DC offset is happening on one channel, but you need to narrow it down to an amp or the Morpheus.

Edited by pwstereo
Spelling

Through swapping channels and cables I’ve narrowed it down to the right channel on the Morpheus, as the problem changes to the other speaker when I swap the balanced cables on the back of the Morpheus. The dc offset is an interesting opinion as I initially assumed there was a dc problem with the woofers being pushed out so slowly, and then pulled back in so slowly as well. The Morpheus is is about 300mm from the power amps, and I don’t think mains coupling would be the issue as that would cause a 50hz hum rather than what seems to be a raising and falling of dc. The only common thing to always have the issue in it’s path no matter what source, channel and cable arrangement is the balanced right output on the Morpheus. All equipment is brand new except the cables which are chord clearway I think they’re called

21 minutes ago, Tinnrz said:

... I’ve narrowed it down to the right channel on the Morpheus...

All equipment is brand new except the cables which are chord clearway I think they’re called

Could there be something up with that cable?

Clutching at straws, but:

incorrect phase of the signal pair

incorrect connection of shield

I'm just trying to picture some connection anomaly that could cause a voltage offset.

Or perhaps within the Morpheus, shield not connected on one side and allowing some sort of stray current onto the cable on the right channel connector.

Maybe some judicious measuring with a multimeter:

- connection pinouts on the cables (continuity and resistance between pins)

- voltage measurement on Morpheus outputs (dc from each signal pin to shield)

- voltage measurement on Morpheus outputs (dc between each signal pin)

- voltage measurement on Morpheus outputs (dc between chassis ground and shield)

Edited by pwstereo

It happens with either cable sadly, I’ll open the Morpheus and see if I can get a visual on the right channel screen connection.

1 minute ago, pwstereo said:

Maybe some judicious measuring with a multimeter:

- connection pinouts on the cables (continuity and resistance between pins)

- voltage measurement on Morpheus outputs (dc from each signal pin to shield)

- voltage measurement on Morpheus outputs (dc between each signal pin)

- voltage between chassis ground and shield (dc)

Great idea, though with the problem only showing it’s face every 10minutes or so, and without speakers plugged in to know it’s happening, I could be there a while.

27 minutes ago, Tinnrz said:

..the problem only showing it’s face every 10minutes or so, and without speakers plugged in to know it’s happening, I could be there a while.

Oh, I think I missed that it was intermittent. I thought it was a cycle of in and out then the pop.

It's puzzling. Perhaps it's an output capacitor leaking and then shorting or going open circuit, then doing it all over again.

@Tinnrz Don't hesitate to contact Sonnet for help. The designer is very friendly and will assist.

Also if you bought it from Sonic Purity they are very helpful and Warwick will definitely assist with resolving the issue.

I have a Sonnet Morpheus and it is a great DAC, hope you can sort it out.

Edited by Whites
Minor.

For anyone curious, I had my multi meter recording dc voltage across the various pin combinations over the last hour. And across the 2 signal pins I was getting 0.001VDC until all of a sudden it spiked to 0.5VDC. And moved to 4VDC as I increased volume to listening level. I’ve attached the graph of where the issue showed it’s face, the unwanted DC voltage was relatively stable however I was moving the volume a lot which is what you can see. The Morpheus was completely isolated from the system for this test with no source or amp attached

thanks for the help everyone but this is well above my ability to fix.

CA43D7C0-70FD-4D51-B237-D3D4E6BC7E76.png

• Like 1