SOLD: FS: Audio Gd USB DAC 19 (NFB 3) with faulty coaxial input

Item Condition: Used
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Mitcham
State: VIC
Payment Method: Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: NLR

Further information:

Bought the DAC in other second-hand market for a while, intended to try the USB connection from Mac Mini and MacBook Air as music servers. Nevertheless it ended up mostly in storage after hooking up for few times. Outlook is fair with some screws with little bit of rust, otherwise the body is without obvious dent nor scratch mark. I have checked he inputs validity and the coaxial input is hit and miss. Can have sound if the RCA is plugged at certain angle, but no sound when I am not holding it. So consider the coaxial input as FAULTY. The USB and optical inputs are both fine when I used the DAC for few weeks sometimes last year.

Selling the DAC only without any other accessories. Local pickup is preferred and shipping can be arranged at cost.

P_20210125_170636-01.jpeg

P_20210125_170616-02.jpeg

P_20210125_170538-01.jpeg

P_20210125_170520-01.jpeg

Edited by Music & HT lover
Sold

Does not feel like a loose plug. I thought it may be contact issue as it has been kept in storage a while. It did sing a while without issue if plugged in at right "position". I just do not want to spend much time in investigation as I don't use it anymore. So consider the COAX input as faulty.

So does this use the 2 pieces of Burr-Brown PCM1704UK DAC chips, or the Saber DAC chip?

Just that NFB3 usses a Saber DAC chip from what I am reading on the net, and the DAC 19 uses the former Burr Brown chips.

Confused :huh:

I am not familiar with the specs, so had to rely on net information. Then I just opened it again and found , what I think, the DAC chips: WM8741. There are two such chips. I Google the code and it refers a kind of DAC chips.

P_20210126_211844_1.jpg

Edited by Music & HT lover
Amend the information
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Music & HT lover said:

I am not familiar with the specs, so had to rely on net information. Then I just opened it again and found , what I think, the DAC chips: WM8741. There are two such chips. I Google the code and it refers a kind of DAC chips.

P_20210126_211844_1.jpg

Yes, yours is definitely the NFB-3 with the dual 8741 chips, and based upon the rear panel stickers, is installed with the 24/192 capable WM8805 SPDIF receiver board (vs the 24/96 DIR9001 board).

Audio-gd used the DAC-19 front panels on the NFB-2 and NFB-3, and the DAC-19 was a different DAC topology altogether. The use of this front panel is unfortunately confusing when you view them from the front, but the stickers on the back reveal all.

Good luck with the sale - they are a nice DAC, and if the coaxial connection is intermittent with some wiggling etc, it should be an easy fix for a tech or DIYer.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Yes, yours is definitely the NFB-3 with the dual 8741 chips, and based upon the rear panel stickers, is installed with the 24/192 capable WM8805 SPDIF receiver board (vs the 24/96 DIR9001 board).

Audio-gd used the DAC-19 front panels on the NFB-2 and NFB-3, and the DAC-19 was a different DAC topology altogether. The use of this front panel is unfortunately confusing when you view them from the front, but the stickers on the back reveal all.

Good luck with the sale - they are a nice DAC, and if the coaxial connection is intermittent with some wiggling etc, it should be an easy fix for a tech or DIYer.

Thanks for the useful information. It sounds nice to me, just lost the enthusiasm after experimenting the DAC with Macs. My next step is to go wireless streaming using mobiles/tablets.

• Like 1

• Music & HT lover changed the title to FS: Audio Gd USB DAC 19 (NFB 3) with faulty coaxial input