Sign in to follow this  
The Fez

- Back Into Vinyl -

I'd like some advice if I may, on where I can start to look for a good "vintage" TT? I do look on the 4 sale forum here too.

I'll spend up to $1000. but this would include all elements table, arm, cartridge, etc.

Do you think that money will get me something OK? Thorens, Dual, AR, Rega??

Some information on recommended specific models from manufacturers (within my budget) would be very useful. I know there's many combinations of table, arm, cartridge etc. Just some broad recommendations would be good. Thanks so much for any feedback! Much appreciated..:)

You should be able to get a Micro Seiki BL51 for that. It's what I run and a great TT. Very reliable but the company no longer exists so you do have the slight risk of not being able to replace parts.

The main advice would be to go for good brands and models. EBay may be ok but pick up is way way preferred for a turntable, they are not easy to pack properly.

DS

I'd like some advice if I may, on where I can start to look for a good "vintage" TT? I do look on the 4 sale forum here too.

I'll spend up to $1000. but this would include all elements table, arm, cartridge, etc.

Do you think that money will get me something OK? Thorens, Dual, AR, Rega??

Some information on recommended specific models from manufacturers (within my budget) would be very useful. I know there's many combinations of table, arm, cartridge etc. Just some broad recommendations would be good. Thanks so much for any feedback! Much appreciated..:)

If you are in the vicinity, it is worthwhile looking at the 2nd hand turntables (if any) at Len Wallis Hi Fi in Lane Cove. They sometimes have good offerings. The problem with 2nd hand is that you are at the mercy of whoever came before you. A Thorens 124 may be a very fine turntable or may just be loads of potential. There is a Lenco L75 on eBay at the moment, in need of repair. It is hard to tell what it will eventually go for (maybe $150), but, fully reconditioned, this is a turntable which would put most vintage or current turntables to shame. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LENCO-L-75-TURNTABLE-/230656037673?pt=AU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Turntables&hash=item35b42bd329 If Vince of OnceAnalog would be prepared to do a rewire and recondition, you could have a world-class turntable for about $1000 all up (that's only a guess).

Best of luck

Warren

There is a great TT in the classifieds that will get you started here.

Also HiFido - Japan but they ship and pack very well

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/0-10/S0/

This is a store not auction, if you see something without (NEGO act net to it you just buy)

lots of very nice DD turntables for well under $1000 - but shipping will cost

A good choice would be a second hand Technics SL1200 (around $400). If you could do the mods yourself the costs would be around $1,000.

TT = $400

KAB Tonearm Fluid Damper = $150

KAB Cardas rewired tonearm = $165

KAB Spindle Oil = $6

LP Gear Headshell Wire Upgrade = $30

LP Gear Audio Technica 440MLA MM cart = $156

TC-760LC Phono Preamp (Phonopreamps.com) $78 (Better than my Cambridge 640p)

This should give you solid results. A used Rega P2 or P3 would also be excellent.

I would also invest in a cartridge alignment tool (I have used the MINT protrator and the results are worth it) and a record cleaning machine... the KAB EV1 with Disk Doctor solution has really worked well for me. After aligning my cart properly and cleaning my records I would not believe the improvement.

Good luck

A good choice would be a second hand Technics SL1200 (around $400). If you could do the mods yourself the costs would be around $1,000.

TT = $400

KAB Tonearm Fluid Damper = $150

KAB Cardas rewired tonearm = $165

KAB Spindle Oil = $6

LP Gear Headshell Wire Upgrade = $30

LP Gear Audio Technica 440MLA MM cart = $156

TC-760LC Phono Preamp (Phonopreamps.com) $78 (Better than my Cambridge 640p)

This should give you solid results. A used Rega P2 or P3 would also be excellent.

I would also invest in a cartridge alignment tool (I have used the MINT protrator and the results are worth it) and a record cleaning machine... the KAB EV1 with Disk Doctor solution has really worked well for me. After aligning my cart properly and cleaning my records I would not believe the improvement.

Good luck

Thanks heaps for the info! Man opening up to the world of the vinyl spinners, geez sure doesn't get any cheaper eh!!!You TT gurus, half the fun of listening is tinkering and testing different combinations to get a sound you like I guess,,,