Replacement Heads for a Nakamichi Dragon

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up Nakamichi Dragon but it needs repairing.

Does anybody know what the failure rates of the Nak Dragon heads are? and is it possible to source replacement heads if they fail?

I'm guessing that there is no place left in the world to either source new old stock ore remanufactured heads?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Nakamichi Dragon - Wikipedia

2 hours ago, tcliffo1 said:

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up Nakamichi Dragon but it needs repairing.

Does anybody know what the failure rates of the Nak Dragon heads are? and is it possible to source replacement heads if they fail?

I'm guessing that there is no place left in the world to either source new old stock ore remanufactured heads?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Nakamichi Dragon - Wikipedia

How do you know the fault is with the heads? There are techs on here from memory that can fix it, but they will have to show their own heads.

2 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

How do you know the fault is with the heads? There are techs on here from memory that can fix it, but they will have to show their own heads.

Ah sorry I should have clarified that I don't know if there is an issue with the heads.  I'm just trying to see if I can find some back up heads to future proof the deck and also trying to get a rough idea of the lifespan of the heads.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Ive talked to Willy Herman renowned Nakamichi Repairer in the US,  about sourcing Dragon Heads and his reply was many folk around the world are looking for Dragon Heads ( not available new) and in his opinion was find one that was being dismantled for parts.

Interestingly, I had a bit to do with Nakamichi Spares and dealt with them until the Spare Parts left Japan for China in the late 90’s, they were very reliable with spares but never kept a big inventory for immediate dispatch on the Dragon.

As with you I did think about getting a new set of playback heads to have on hand, but  I think it was cost that held me back through the years, I regret not pursuing that a bit harder now.