Simplifying.

Hi all,

Can I please get some opinion on the below predicament. We have one living area for all (my wife and I and three young children). This is for our TV and hifi, I am not interested in home theatre. At the moment the setup is:

Project Debut Carbon Evo/PC/TV   --->   Schiit Modi 3/Schiit Mani   --->   Exposure 2010s2   --->   Focal 706.

At the moment I also have a Chromecast Audio (CCA) I would love to use but I don't for two reasons, first being I don't have enough power points, and second the Modi 3 only has one optical input which needs to be the TV. The predicament which is forcing my hand is the lack of power points. The wall all this is on doesn't have power (I've had an electrician look at installing but it is $$$) so I have a 6 point power board which is full now (amp/tv/PC/modi/mani/TT). The problem now is the kids got a Nintendo for Christmas which makes 7 items (8 including the unused CCA), and now I'm swapping power cables whenever I want to listen to a record.

I considered getting an 8 point power board and having cables everywhere, or going the other way and selling the two Schiit's and Exposure and replacing them with either a Marantz PM6007 or NAD C338. I lose USB capability but can still get digital from PC to amp through HDMI -> optical -> amp. The marantz has two optical inputs, meaning I can have TV and CCA, while the NAD has CCA built in. CCA pretty much nullifies what I use the PC for (Tidal). I am aware the Marantz/NAD have only MM phono, I am not planning on going down the MC pathway so am okay with that.

Am I an idiot to consider this? It would also make my technophobic wife happy to have one box to navigate, not two at the moment in having to make sure the amp and DAC are at the right spots. Any thoughts on these two amps and which one would be a better fit. There seems to be more positive reviews for the Marantz (including 6006 review) and I am leaning that way. Unfortunately in Darwin there are no audio shops with the nearest >2,000 k's away, so audition is out of the question.

Or do I just get more power cables, even though it means I won't be able to use CCA as I don't have enough optical inputs on the Modi?

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Ruffter
clarification

The CCA doesn't give you full 'master' quality/MQA from Tidal if that's a concern (as I understand it). But one relatively cheap gadget that could help is an optical to coaxial converter so you could use all three inputs on the DAC.

In all likelihood a bigger powerboard solves the power problem unless you have a monster gaming rig as your PC, and an elderly plasma TV. The amp, console, turntable and Schitts would be under 500W total wouldn't they? And a vanilla Arlec 12 outlet board rated for 2400W total is ~$20.

You could also get a power supply with multiple USB sockets for the CCA and the Modi 3 (and a possible optical to coaxial converter), so they can share one outlet conceivably.

Obviously a nice new amp with more inputs would be great too ?

Good suggestions @RCAJack! You’ve got me thinking that I could sell the exposure and mani, buy a Rega Brio (great reviews all round) and run the CCA and modi off a joint usb plug. Would have to look at these converters though, they will no doubt need power too. Are there any DACs out there in a similar range to the modi that have two optical inputs?

Cheers, Andrew

Hi @Snoopy8

Ideally budget neutral, however maybe up to $500 on whatever I get for a Modi 3, Mani and 2010s2 with MC card.

This is why I was looking around the $1000 -$1500 mark, thinking I’ll get circa $1k for my current gear.

I guess I am worried about a potential drop in quality too as all the gear I’ve got has reviewed pretty well and I do like the sound. It’s just too much stuff (and full remote control would be nice). Or is this the price we pay chasing the dream haha.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Ruffter

Is it only a single power point ? If so change it to a double and run 2 power boards ?   Same config.  If you have to get a sparky in then put multiple in  ..  i now have a x2 and 2 x4's.  Sounds cheaper than buying and selling more stereo components.  Just saying.

My simplification story a few years ago...

It takes a leap in faith to simplify, and you need to trust your own ears. Yes, components can review well but it takes time and effort to put things together and cables, power supplies etc matter.  

If you are ready to change, can get a used Bluesound PowerNode with your budget. One box and BluOS is nice looking, very easy to set up and use. 

• Like 1

Thanks Snoopy,

I am definitely onboard with simplification. I hadn’t thought about the bluesound, but after looking at it I think I would prefer the NAD C338 as it has an MM stage built in, along with Chromecast built-in. If I bought the bluesound I’d still need an external phono stage and chromecast dongle.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

Thanks Snoopy,

I am definitely onboard with simplification. I hadn’t thought about the bluesound, but after looking at it I think I would prefer the NAD C338 as it has an MM stage built in, along with Chromecast built-in. If I bought the bluesound I’d still need an external phono stage and chromecast dongle.

Nothing wrong with the C338, but it is more than your budget!  ?  Stretching your budget further, you should add the BluOS MDC module. BluOS is a pleasure to use, definitely enhancing the simplicity theme and has high WAF.

@Snoopy8 I think you may be thinking the C368, which is above my budget! The C338 is the smaller model, with no MDC module capability (so no BluOS).

The 338 is the same as the 328 but with Chromecast (stereophile review https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-c-328-integrated-amplifier).

Price is about $1k, which I think/hope would be achievable from moving on the exposure/mani/modi.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

@Snoopy8 I think you may be thinking the C368, which is above my budget! The C338 is the smaller model, with no MDC module capability (so no BluOS).

The 338 is the same as the 328 but with Chromecast (stereophile review https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-c-328-integrated-amplifier).

Price is about $1k, which I think/hope would be achievable from moving on the exposure/mani/modi.

Oops! Must get my eyes checked.  Maybe look for a second hand C368.

Shame you cannot add BluOS (which I no longer use but still like a lot!).