Speaker Enclosure Volume Advice

RDM

Hi there.

I have some old speakers I'm thinking of pulling the components out of and rehousing in new enclosures.

The 10" Polypropylene Woofers currently inhabit a ported enclosure of around 38 litres. They are unbranded, but I suspect that they may be be these: https://www.wagneronline.com.au/daichi-10-polypropylene-woofer-120w/speaker-drivers/audio-speakers-pa/3106/fl/

Fo: 45 Hz

Fs: 45 Hz

Qes: 0.57

Qts: 0.52

Qms: 6.65

VAS: 73 litres

Would these specifications suit the 38 litre ported enclosure that they're in? If not then I'll have to keep searching to try and find out what they are.

Also, is it possible to make a rule of thumb guess at a suitable sealed enclosure volume for these drivers (25 litres?) given that they already live in a 38 litre ported enclosure?

Many thanks in advance for any, and all, advice.

Edited by RDM

11 minutes ago, RDM said:

Would these specifications suit the 38 litre ported enclosure that they're in? If not then I'll have to keep searching to try and find out what they are.

With old woofers is it hard to say, as it is unlikely that the quoted parameters are still correct.

11 minutes ago, RDM said:

Also, is it possible to make a rule of thumb guess at a suitable sealed enclosure volume for these drivers (25 litres?) given that they already live in a 38 litre ported enclosure?

The danger is making the enclosure too small .... so as long as you don't do that, then sealed has a very wide range of "suitable".

If the box is the only thing controlling the lower end response of the woofer..... then the size can be quire sensitive.    If you have other things controlling it (Eg. crossover filters/EQ) then the 'tolerance' can be much much larger.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

With old woofers is it hard to say, as it is unlikely that the quoted parameters are still correct.

The danger is making the enclosure too small .... so as long as you don't do that, then sealed has a very wide range of "suitable".

If the box is the only thing controlling the lower end response of the woofer..... then the size can be quire sensitive.    If you have other things controlling it (Eg. crossover filters/EQ) then the 'tolerance' can be much much larger.

Thanks for that.

If I want to reuse the existing crossovers what minimum volume of sealed enclosure would you hazard a guess at (your guess will be better than mine I'm sure)? I'm expecting suitable performance only, as I know optimal performance would require accurate specifications of the driver, or a bit of testing of the driver in different volume sealed enclosures.

Edited by RDM

7 hours ago, RDM said:

Thanks for that.

If I want to reuse the existing crossovers what minimum volume of sealed enclosure would you hazard a guess at (your guess will be better than mine I'm sure)? I'm expecting suitable performance only, as I know optimal performance would require accurate specifications of the driver, or a bit of testing of the driver in different volume sealed enclosures.

Is this the lowest frequency woofer in the system (ie. it plays right down as far as it can?).

If so... then i would seriously consider leaving it vented as is.   Moving to sealed will take away a lot of the bass response.

30 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Is this the lowest frequency woofer in the system (ie. it plays right down as far as it can?).

If so... then i would seriously consider leaving it vented as is.   Moving to sealed will take away a lot of the bass response.

Yes, it is the lowest frequency (and only) woofer in the system.

Your advice to leave it vented is duly noted.

Thanks for your advice.