Analogue to Digital Converter

Bill125812

Item: ADC 
Price Range: market
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:  Just looking for an Analogue to Digital converter to go between a phono stage and digital amp.  What’s out there 

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

A couple of options that may be of interest below.

I went through the process of looking for an ADC a while back and captured some of the things I explored in this thread.

I finally picked up a NuWave Phono so Uwe Beis ADC or Behringer Ultramatch SRC 2946 are available if they come near your needs.  Both are great quality and ample for any any listening I did (phone stage to digital in to Kii 3's.  Next step up you are looking at a few grand.

Behringer is an amazing device - a Swiss Army knife of conversion.  ADC, DAC and format conversion.  As an ADC advantages are variable gain, power supply built in - but it is not tiny.  New late last year.  Available for $175 plus postage.  https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0141

Uwe Beis ADC is probably stronger on paper but I couldn't tell any difference  Does go up to 192kHz/24 Bit (Behringer is  96/24 max - more than enough for vinyl).  Requires a separate 12v DC Power Supply (Could provide a basic one which is fine, I used it with an LPS).  I built from kit and 3d printed case so it is not 'professional' level finish but much smaller.  Also has fixed gain.  If you are electronically capable gain can be changed by swapping out 6 resistors.  Available for $250 plus postage.  Pics below.  https://www.beis.de/Elektronik/ADDA24QS/AD24QS.html

Let me know if either strike a chord or you need any futher info.

David

Box 3.jpg

Box 4.jpg

IMG20200923145447.jpg

Edited by gibbo9000

I just bought David's Schiit JIL ADC unit, Bill, and only because I needed that perfect USB output, so I can digitise some vinyl.

But for flexibility in other ways and for multiple system configs (and if you don't mind the look of it), the Behringer would have been my next choice at half the price.  ?

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

I just bought David's Schiit JIL ADC unit, Bill, and only because I needed that perfect USB output, so I can digitise some vinyl.

But for flexibility in other ways and for multiple system configs (and if you don't mind the look of it), the Behringer would have been my next choice at half the price.  ?

Thanks Jon 

It can be hidden away in a cupboard as my system  sits on a very solid sideboard.  The only issue I have with it is in David’s @gibbo9000   review, he mentioned there was a hum   Can you give me a bit more info on that David   Other than that it looks perfect 

Edited by Bill125812

13 hours ago, gibbo9000 said:

Behringer is an amazing device - a Swiss Army knife of conversion.  ADC, DAC and format conversion.  As an ADC advantages are variable gain, power supply built in - but it is not tiny.  New late last year.  Available for $175 plus postage.  https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0141

On paper, the Behringer looks and sounds impressive.  However, when mine (DCX2496) was upgraded, realised that the input and output stages were not as good as they could be.  And I was using it to feed my SGRs! ?  ?

@Bill125812, I suspect that your best sounding option under $1K is to get the SRC 2496 and order this upgrade kit.

https://www.behringermods.com/src2496.html

It comes with a full set of instructions and I think will be a cinch for you to put together.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

On paper, the Behringer looks and sounds impressive.  However, when mine (DCX2496) was upgraded, realised that the input and output stages were not as good as they could be.  And I was using it to feed my SGRs! ?  ?

@Bill125812, I suspect that your best sounding option under $1K is to get the SRC 2496 and order this upgrade kit.

https://www.behringermods.com/src2496.html

It comes with a full set of instructions and I think will be a cinch for you to put together.

Interesting Thanks Snoop. I’ll have a bit more research now 

• Volunteer

I went through this process and ended up with an RME babyface Pro.

For less money you could consider the Focusrite Scarlett https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-gen-3

Or maybe a Motu M2

https://www.mannys.com.au/motu-m2-2x2-usb-c-audio-interface-w-midi-i-o

If measurements are a thing for you they both measure well enough to be completely transparent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill125812 said:

Thanks Jon 

It can be hidden away in a cupboard as my sister sits on a very solid sideboard.  The only issue I have with it is in David’s @gibbo9000   review, he mentioned there was a hum   Can you give me a bit more info on that David   Other than that it looks perfect 

Does she use any sort of isolation, like a comfy cusion?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Does she use any sort of isolation, like a comfy cusion?

I actually had second thought about posting that, because my father does sit on my sisters sideboard, in a carved wooden box.. no isolation.

• Haha 1

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, Mickstuh said:

yes a good idea to consider phono stage that will do the conversion for you. The PS Audio as mentioned above (although I owned one briefly and returned it because it had terrible reliability - maybe I was just unlucky) or the Parks Audio Puffin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

The only issue I have with it is in David’s @gibbo9000   review, he mentioned there was a hum   Can you give me a bit more info on that David   Other than that it looks perfect

Sure can.  It has a built in power supply and that emits a minor physical hum which I assume is mechanical / 50 Hz ish - it is minor but I am picky!  The hum is not in the sound path - that is pretty much silent. So it is one of those things you notice if you go listening closely to the device itself, but not something you would hear or detract from music in use.  It doesn't go away with DC Blocker.  It wasn't enough to cause me to take the lid off and try physically damping the transformer.  In a sideboard with doors closed you wouldn't notice it (that is how I had it).

I did consider the upgrade kit, and it didn't look too hard to install, but my ears couldn't tell the difference between the standard Behringer and the better spec'd Uwe Beis device so didn't bother.

And if you ever do need to add USB out, the Mini DSP Streamer does Toslink to USB nicely - just another phyiscal device and more cables! https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

Gibbo

Edited by gibbo9000
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The PS Audio as mentioned above (although I owned one briefly and returned it because it had terrible reliability - maybe I was just unlucky) or the Parks Audio Puffin

For some weird reason to do with the MC Cartridge rabbit hole I now own both of these.  PS Audio has been reliable for the 4 days I have owned it and is very flexible given SPDIF and USB out.  Parks Audio Puffin is very impressive and sounds pretty much on par with the PS Audio from my listening so far.  In a pure analogue system I am not sure the ADC/processing/DAC path would pass the purists view - but in between an analogue cartridge out to 24/96 optical output to digital system it is great.  No issue with LOMC.  But both are higher cost than a dedicated ADC though.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
37 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

PS Audio has been reliable for the 4 days I have owned it and is very flexible given SPDIF and USB out.

The display on mine failed, got repaired and failed again. At which point the always helpful team at Tivoli offered to try again for me or give me a refund. I opted for the refund.

I suspect it was just a run of bad luck rather than anything else.

The Puffin is a great unit but didn't suit me as I needed USB out

1 hour ago, gibbo9000 said:

Sure can.  It has a built in power supply and that emits a minor physical hum which I assume is mechanical / 50 Hz ish - it is minor but I am picky!  The hum is not in the sound path - that is pretty much silent. So it is one of those things you notice if you go listening closely to the device itself, but not something you would hear or detract from music in use.  It doesn't go away with DC Blocker.  It wasn't enough to cause me to take the lid off and try physically damping the transformer.  In a sideboard with doors closed you wouldn't notice it (that is how I had it).

I did consider the upgrade kit, and it didn't look too hard to install, but my ears couldn't tell the difference between the standard Behringer and the better spec'd Uwe Beis device so didn't bother.

And if you ever do need to add USB out, the Mini DSP Streamer does Toslink to USB nicely - just another phyiscal device and more cables! https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

Gibbo

Ok David. I’ll give the Behringer Ultramatch a shot.  PM on the way ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The Puffin is a great unit but didn't suit me as I needed USB out

Agreed - more b&^%$ cables.  Fortunately I use the Toslink out for normal operation and only USB adapter for occasional recording (but that my go if NuWave Phono behaves) .  Must admit I find it useful in turntable set up - for measuring channel balance for azimuth fine tuning.