Is there such thing as ‘the best amp for klipsch r-51m?

Hi all,

im trying to source ‘the best amp for the klipsch r-51m’

is there such a thing? 

requirements: must be able to fit on a desk (pc setup) so small form factor is ideal. 
I’m currently using a topping pa3, and trying to get the most out of my setup    So my options were either DAC or amp upgrades. Currently using the audioengine d1. 

thoughts? Cheers. 

2.1 setup 

On 23/01/2021 at 9:39 PM, chewstation said:

is there such a thing? 

Klipsch’s answer to your question would be the R-51PM, the active version of these speakers. Could the sale of your existing speakers and amp, and acquisition of some used R-51PMs be worth considering?

On 23/01/2021 at 9:39 PM, chewstation said:

Hi all,

is there such a thing? 

requirements: must be able to fit on a desk (pc setup) so small form factor is ideal. 
I’m currently using a topping pa3, and trying to get the most out of my setup    So my options were either DAC or amp upgrades. Currently using the audioengine d1. 

thoughts? Cheers. 

2.1 setup 

As I tried Kplisch speakers before, my suggestion is to buy a good value Valve amp to drive and it can make the Kplisch horn speakers smoother. (There is no perfect speakers or perfect AMPs, more of better suitable combinations, in terms of value and taste of sound.)

For DAC, unless you want to spend more than $1000, there wouldnt be much difference and also the speakers are not high end enough to tell the difference either, not worth it.

You can definitely benefit from a good value EL34 Amp such as the one below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392986970623?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Edited by NIN

By the way, if you are connecting the DAC to your PC, you might notice the noice caused by the video card and the mother board.

To my experience, you can get rid of it by power your DAC by a linear power supply by IFI, and also a USB purifier by IFI.

They work, and you can find the details by google. 

Also , dont forget to upgrad your USB cable. such as audio quest:

https://www.minidisc.com.au/audioquest-forest-usb-b-cable?length=288&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCecBJW_R1T9IBd_sLR9pGgcF--m4NWLRuoJmOa0AvRO-hxBJi37XiYaAt-8EALw_wcB

35 minutes ago, RCAJack said:

Klipsch’s answer to your question would be the R-51PM, the active version of these speakers. Could the sale of your existing speakers and amp, and acquisition of some used R-51PMs be worth considering?

I think I will fall significantly short that way. Given that aus retail is around $1500 (I think)

plus I have read online that hissing can be quite loud in the powered model - which is a big turn off for me as that’s the whole reason I went for a passive setup :/

10 minutes ago, NIN said:

As I tried Kplisch speakers before, my suggestion is to buy a good value Valve amp to drive and it can make the Kplisch horn speakers smoother. (There is no perfect speakers or perfect AMPs, more of better suitable combinations, in terms of value and taste of sound.)

For DAC, unless you want to spend more than $1000, there wouldnt be much difference and also the speakers are not high end enough to tell the difference either, not worth it.

You can definitely benefit from a good value EL34 Amp such as the one below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392986970623?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I think a valve amp might be out of the equation for me. As it’ll be sitting on my desk and my cats love to run over everything sitting on top :(

do you think the emotiva a-100 can be a good substitute / what benefits are to be had?

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, NIN said:

By the way, if you are connecting the DAC to your PC, you might notice the noice caused by the video card and the mother board.

To my experience, you can get rid of it by power your DAC by a linear power supply by IFI, and also a USB purifier by IFI.

They work, and you can find the details by google. 

Also , dont forget to upgrad your USB cable. such as audio quest:

https://www.minidisc.com.au/audioquest-forest-usb-b-cable?length=288&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCecBJW_R1T9IBd_sLR9pGgcF--m4NWLRuoJmOa0AvRO-hxBJi37XiYaAt-8EALw_wcB

Do you think a jds labs atom dac or dragonfly red/cobalt will out perform the dated audioengine d1? 
And what ‘perofrmance’ is to be gained?

4 minutes ago, chewstation said:

I think I will fall significantly short that way. Given that aus retail is around $1500 (I think)

plus I have read online that hissing can be quite loud in the powered model - which is a big turn off for me as that’s the whole reason I went for a passive setup :/

I think a valve amp might be out of the equation for me. As it’ll be sitting on my desk and my cats love to run over everything sitting on top :(

do you think the emotiva a-100 can be a good substitute / what benefits are to be had?

haha, considering the tubes might be quite hot, but, if you put a cover on it, your cat might enjoy the warmth of it by lying on top of it. hahahaha

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, chewstation said:

Do you think a jds labs atom dac or dragonfly red/cobalt will out perform the dated audioengine d1? 

To be honest, the most pointless move in HIFI world is trying to do marginal upgrade.

Unless you bought a new one and then upgrade to a good second hand deal.

Emotiva is not famous for smooth sound, if you really want a good upgrade, I have another suggestion:

Get rid of the current DAC and Amp which are MOST entry level products, and replace them with these:

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/d-3020-v2-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier?variant=16823699013683&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

you will find difference garanteed.

The review below of it, proves that I am right:

Packs a surprising punch

The NAD 3020 V2 has come to my rescue. After trying to make do with a couple of low end amps I’ve realised that paying that little bit extra for a still very good value amp is what makes all the difference. Adding to that, the functionality with Bluetooth is awesome. 

11 minutes ago, chewstation said:

Wouldnt be that much difference, go for NAD 3020 V2 could be better move.

7 minutes ago, NIN said:

Wouldnt be that much difference, go for NAD 3020 V2 could be better move.

I was told by a local hifi store that class d amps are still not up to scratch to compete with AB. hence he has suggested I go with AB, whereas the nad d3020 is still a class D. Any thoughts in this regard?

14 minutes ago, chewstation said:

I was told by a local hifi store that class d amps are still not up to scratch to compete with AB. hence he has suggested I go with AB, whereas the nad d3020 is still a class D. Any thoughts in this regard?

He is not telling the whole story.

There are different level of Class AB and dierent level of Class D (there are class D priced more than US $10,000), and different speakers might suit different Classes also.

A $600 class D is definitely better than a $200 class AB. lol

Edited by NIN
13 minutes ago, chewstation said:

There are many people in the industry and here, who do not like Class D. Suggest you park aside that and listen to the D3020.  It may surprise you.  Trust your ears...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

There are many people in the industry and here, who do not like Class D. Suggest you park aside that and listen to the D3020.  It may surprise you.  Trust your ears...

Everyone is just giving their own opinion. I don't think Class AB is always better than Class D for sure. lol

BMW is better than TOYOTA, as most people think, does that mean any BMW is faster than any TOYOTA?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NIN said:

He is not telling the whole story.

There are different level of Class AB and dierent level of Class D (there are class D priced more than US $10,000), and different speakers might suit different Classes also.

A $600 class D is definitely better than a $200 class AB. lol

Gotcha. 

the nad d3020 and emotiva a-100 are priced the same however. ~$600aud locally. How do you choose one over the other? Does it become more of a gamble or?

6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

What’s the difference suppose to be?

2 minutes ago, chewstation said:

Gotcha. 

the nad d3020 and emotiva a-100 are priced the same however. ~$600aud locally. How do you choose one over the other? Does it become more of a gamble or?

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/class-ab-or-class-d-amps/

This can help you understand better.

Paul McGowan is the boss of PS audio, his opinion is quite authentic.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, chewstation said:

Gotcha. 

To make the decision, you can take your speakers to the dealer to test the Emotiva and NAD to see which one is more suitable for your taste.

That is ALWAYS the most reliable way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chewstation said:

People's perceptions and bias, based on old and awful Class D amps, are driving the so-called difference.  The best Class D amps, way over your budget, but included here to change perceptions:

https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Purifi-news-by-Jez-Ford-SoundImage-magazine-.pdf

6 minutes ago, NIN said:

Paul McGowan is the boss of PS audio, his opinion is quite authentic.

Authentic?  Not all the time.  Like everyone he has his own bias.  e.g. he was saying for many years that the best preamp is no preamp.  Until PSA introduced their preamp!  There are other examples as well...

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

People's perceptions and bias, based on old and awful Class D amps, are driving the so-called difference.  The best Class D amps, way over your budget, but included here to change perceptions:

https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Purifi-news-by-Jez-Ford-SoundImage-magazine-.pdf

Authentic?  Not all the time.  Like everyone he has his own bias.  e.g. he was saying for many years that the best preamp is no preamp.  Until PSA introduced their preamp!  There are other examples as well...

Agree, the 'authentic' is of couse compartively speaking. 

As I said before, everyone has their own opinions.  You have to listen to it to decide, even that, everyone has different ears with different sensitivity to different frequencies.

To summarize, personally I insist that Class D can be better than Class AB, as each of them have different products, from few hundreds dollars to tens of thousands dollars.

If a $200 Class AB is always better than ANY Class D below few thousands bucks, as you said to chewstation, way over his budget, why Class D amps exist for this many years?

It doent make sense isnt it :P

Edited by NIN
  • Like 1

So I guess my two options so far are: nad d3020 vs emotiva a-100. 
I don’t think auditioning is possible, which would I blindly go for?

2 minutes ago, chewstation said:

So I guess my two options so far are: nad d3020 vs emotiva a-100. 
I don’t think auditioning is possible, which would I blindly go for?

I will discuss with you through PM.

• Like 1

If your office is well ventilated, you could do far worse than a John Lindsay Hood 1969 circuit amp. Sounds lovely with most fairly efficient bookshelf speakers. Fantastic with my desktop open baffles, unfortunately my office is quite hot already though.

Edited by MattyW
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/01/2021 at 10:10 AM, NIN said:

Everyone is just giving their own opinion. I don't think Class AB is always better than Class D for sure. lol

BMW is better than TOYOTA, as most people think, does that mean any BMW is faster than any TOYOTA?

Now Toyota Supra is powered by BMW engine and other relevant parts that is now sold as a Toyota Supra, including dash, instruments, seats, seat belts etc, etc!

On the question of the Klipsch speakers, try to listen to a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls to hear the relevance!

On 25/01/2021 at 10:10 AM, NIN said:

• 2 weeks later...

I would choose the NAD over the Emotiva personally. Ithik the NAD is slightly warmer/smoother. The NAD C316BEE is also a very good match for those speakers. You would have to add a dac however, maybe a topping?