Hello, new member here from the UK. I did once live in Perth Australia for a year though.

I’ve joined because I’m looking to gather information on Kef Concerto’s. I’ve being doing a lot of google searches on that model and this website was always turning with forum threads talking about them. I’m looking to buy a set and then bring them up to the best standard they can be, so I hope this forum can help out.

hi bernard welcome too SNA,
i bought a pair of kef concerto's brand new back in the 70s,powered by a luxman 507x,thorens 125mk11 sme 300911 stanton 681ee,loved it but moved them on when i wanted to blast the neighbourhood with my 70s music fetish
,from what i have read about the kefs since is the crossover is the weakest link,i am sure that someone in your country does a custom crossover that lifts the performance a great deal,maybe someone here on stereonet that knows a lot more about the mods will add their recommendations,
i know things are not going real well in your country at the moment,hope you and your family are all safe and well ,
regards 
ray.

7 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

hi bernard welcome too SNA,
i bought a pair of kef concerto's brand new back in the 70s,powered by a luxman 507x,thorens 125mk11 sme 300911 stanton 681ee,loved it but moved them on when i wanted to blast the neighbourhood with my 70s music fetish
,from what i have read about the kefs since is the crossover is the weakest link,i am sure that someone in your country does a custom crossover that lifts the performance a great deal,maybe someone here on stereonet that knows a lot more about the mods will add their recommendations,
i know things are not going real well in your country at the moment,hope you and your family are all safe and well ,
regards 
ray.

falcon acoustics in the uk

Hey Ray, thank you for the reply. Yes, I’ve read about the poor crossovers and yes Falcon and Wilmslow Audio do an updated version.

How did you find the Concerto’s? I’ve only ever heard them through YouTube. I’m looking for a relaxed, warm sounding speaker with no harsh highs and a deep strong bass. I’m not looking for detail and clarity. I find my ears just don’t like it and are easily fatigued.

I read a thread on this forum where a poster did the crossover upgrade last year. I’m going to try get in touch with him, if he’s still about.

I’m using a Sansui Eight receiver, which looks to be of a similar power to your Luxman 507x. I’ve read quite a few people say that the Concerto’s are at their best when driven at much higher power than what I have. I’m just hoping my old Sansui can do them justice. Coincidently I’m looking into buying a Thorens turntable too, or maybe a Lenco GL75.

Yeah you’re right, this country is on its head at the moment. You’re doing a lot better over there, your decadence levels haven’t reached the crazy heights of the UK. I seem to remember you lot having a more civilised culture when I walked your land.

hi again bernard
these were my first real hifi speakers back then,they will certainly will give that  warm relaxed sound as you put it but won,t blow your sox off with strong deep bass,when i had mine they were just sitting on the floor,if i was to listen to them now i would put them on suitable stands as if i can remember the bottom end was a bit wooly to me,maybe the crossover mods will help this,i also changed amps to a marantz 1120 and then to a sansui 919,the sansui was the best,
good luck with your kef journey,
ray.

• Like 1

Hey Jack,

I'm also using a Sansui Eight......How underated is this receiver!

I've owned a lot of Sansui Gear over the years but this receiver is just the best sounding of the one's i've had.

I'm running mine with Klipsch KG3.5's and was thinking of trying out a few different brands....i have heard that Acoustic Research goes well but do hope the Kefs work for you......great speakers!

Cheers!

Garry.

6 hours ago, JackTwo said:

I seem to remember you lot having a more civilised culture when I walked your land.

Hang on, I thought you said you had lived in Perth? 😂

• Haha 1