DIY Sub Couch

For quite a while now I have been tossing up the idea of a sub woofer couch. But I am stuck between two different design ideas.

I have 1 x 18" TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 and 2 x 18" TC Sounds VMP passive radiators.

My concern with the second design is that the tube that joins them might act like a ports causing weird tuning issues.

Design is back of couch without back rest shown.

Thoughts please...

417231417_PRPlacement.jpg.038b56739ab492d272fc1155d7139616.jpg

9 hours ago, niterida said:

Not really looking for tactile response, as much as I am a convenient place to put a big sub box. Some shake would be nice, but looking for more like a bass fog, rather than directional bass. I guess my greatest concern over the two options is bass cancellation.

Guest Peter the Greek

Where do you put the couch in the room? Relative to the mains?

I'll hazard a guess that the seating location and the best (or even good) position for the sub will not be the same.

Out of interest,  have you made a sofa before? I'd imagine they're difficult to make comfortable?

18 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Where do you put the couch in the room? Relative to the mains?

I'll hazard a guess that the seating location and the best (or even good) position for the sub will not be the same.

Out of interest,  have you made a sofa before? I'd imagine they're difficult to make comfortable?

I completely pulled apart our leather couch that was pretty damn hard to be much more uncomfortable. Regardless of what I do it has to be a step up from it (springs poking me in the butt).

I have these IKEA leather chairs that are the replacement for it. I really think there is a lot to be learned from the back contour on them. Since I have a CNC machine I think I can replicate the comfortable back of the chair in a couch.

Your right about bass placement and I doubt sitting on top of it will be the optimal placement in the room. Although I bought this driver / PRs about 10 years ago, and I am now over 50 so I probably don't need as much bass as I once did. So if it looses some SPL I don't think it would be the greatest of issues. Guess now it is more about convenience over ultimate sound quality.

But I would still like to design it to perform as good as it can. I am tempted to create it in a single seat, but then I can't cuddle on a single seat with my wife. Although if I did a single seat it could be located somewhere I am not sitting.

Guest Peter the Greek

Riteo. Acoustic Elegance told me not to mount PRs on the same baffle as the driver. Better to have like your second Imagine. I've not built mine yet.

Edited by Peter the Greek

12 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Riteo. Acoustic Elegance told me not to mount PRs on the same baffle as the driver. Better to have like your second Imagine. I've not built mine yet.

I was thinking along those lines, but nice to have confirmation. Guess the only decision now is down firing or back firing for the sub driver.

Guest Peter the Greek
1 hour ago, Silent Screamer said:

Guess the only decision now is down firing or back firing for the sub driver.

What's the floor covering? Not that it really matters. I'm really happy with my 18" mal. It's down firing