Tannoy vs Harbeth

Hi fellow audio enthusiast

I am trying to decide between a pair of  Harbeth SHL5 (3oth anniversary model) and Tannoy Ardens. I have heard the Harbeth but not the Tannoys. Any comments/advice you could share with me.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dale, I own Harbeth SHL5+, and my father has some 15’ Tannoy monitor golds in custom cabinets. The Harbeths are stunning in midrange, as you’ve heard. The Tannoys are more of a big hug, a little less definition but lovely and warm. 15’ so they move some air as well, have heard some smaller newer models like the 12’ Glenair and they were good too in the same way. So I think if midrange clarity is your thing(piano trio, classical guitar, acoustic instruments) the Harbeths are hard to beat. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Dale, The Harbeths are hard to beat. I've just purchased a pair and are extremely happy to the point I'm not interested in an upgrade anytime soon or in the near future. They pretty much do everything right. IMO the mid bass - midrange is the most important aspect of a loud speakers sound reproduction and Harbeth do that beautifully.  Have a listen to both brands. There's others to consider as well like Spendor, KEF etc.

Good luck, happy listening.

Thanks everyone who replied my earlier post

I bought a pair of Harbeth and really happy with them

i am looking for a pair of 40.1 series and would appreciated if anyone knows or has a pair to swll

@cogitatorMy thoughts are simple on this matter.

Two very different sounding speakers..

Tannoys sound wonderful after recapping and with valve amplification.

Harberth i prefer with really good solid state amps. 

Why not have both i say. 

Edited by Sonorlink

Thanks everyone who replied my earlier post

I bought a pair of Harbeth and really happy with them

i am looking for a pair of 40.1 series and would appreciated if anyone knows or has a pair to swll