I have just replaced my old, original MiniDSP 2x4 crossover/processor with the newer 2x4 HD model.  On of the main reasons is the new model has digital inputs, via Toslink optical or USB.  My plan was to use the optical output on my elderly Rotel RCD991 CD player into the MiniDSP optical input.   I've had the player since new, about 20 years, and never used the Toslink output. 

So I plugged it all in, started a CD playing  and.....no input signal shown on the MiniDSP.  I replaced the Rotel with my nearly as old Pioneer DVD player, which also has optical out, and it worked fine, so I figure the optical out on the Rotel is busted ☹️  I will open it and see if anything obvious is wrong but I'm not confident it's easily fixable. 

My Rotel does have a functional (last time I checked) S/PDIF co-ax output and a quick Google showed easily available, cheap converters that I could plug into the co-ax output on my CD player and convert it to optical  to send to the MiniDSP.  Is this likely to be a practical plug and play solution?  Does the cheap price of these mean a crappy conversion?

I could continue to use the Pioneer DVD player but it's operation as a CD player is really clunky and limited compared to the Rotel.  And yes, I will probably end up using the MiniDSP's USB input from some sort of Raspberry Pi thingy but that's further down the track.

before you get a converter, do you have a way to confirm whether the coaxial output on your Rotel is operating properly?

49 minutes ago, RoHo said:

so I figure the optical out on the Rotel is busted ☹️  I will open it and see if anything obvious is wrong but I'm not confident it's easily fixable. 

This link mentions a switch on the back to enable digital output...............just sayin'.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiylNCa9q7uAhVQxTgGHVrdC3kQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotel.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fproduct%2Fmanuals%2FRCD-991-OM.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0W2nCv4NB8OLnsLDtWm-dU

1 hour ago, krebetman said:

before you get a converter, do you have a way to confirm whether the coaxial output on your Rotel is operating properly?

It has worked previously but, yes, I should confirm it is functional

51 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

Yep, made sure it was on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...