Advice. Choosing Amplifier For father.

Hey ,

I don't have much knowledge about amps but fathers day is almost here and he has always been a fanatic about sound.

So I bought some Wharfedale pacific series Evo 8, 20, pacific center and a dx12

What will be a suitable amplifier for this system. He will be running it with his TV and perhaps his laptop.

He uses it mostly for music and movies.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by brownzor
freaky shiz

Prem,

That's a good father's day gift! Is he the kind that will be happy with what you choose, or the kind that would want to be part of the hunting process? Something to consider as many enthusiasts are particular about certain things.

First one that comes to mind is Denon. They are well regarded by HT enthusiasts and seem to have a good mix of features and overall quality. You can get new units in that price range, but second hand you can get some not too old that would have been 1 - 1.5k not too long ago. Last I checked they were more like $400 on ebay.

Prem,

That's a good father's day gift! Is he the kind that will be happy with what you choose, or the kind that would want to be part of the hunting process? Something to consider as many enthusiasts are particular about certain things.

First one that comes to mind is Denon. They are well regarded by HT enthusiasts and seem to have a good mix of features and overall quality. You can get new units in that price range, but second hand you can get some not too old that would have been 1 - 1.5k not too long ago. Last I checked they were more like $400 on ebay.

+1

My HT stuff is Wharfedale and Denon and I've always been reasonably happy with it.

Missed the replies somehow. Well in that case, it's probably mostly a matter of getting a good deal and seeing what you can find. I'd probably look first for Denon and Marantz for their combination of sound quality and features. They are pretty well regarded. Harman Kardon are considered to be sound quality oriented and it doesn't hurt that they are easy on the eye. The power ratings are a bit lower but don't be fooled by that, the numbers are often not what they seem. Nad are also SQ oriented and seem to keep things simple and I like that all of their models have "pre outs." You need those to add on a power amplifier, so it's a nice upgrade path. Generally you need to spend $1k or more on a new one to get that, sometimes even 2k. Nice to have if you want to upgrade without replacing the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...