Internal DAC better than Cambridge Audio Dacmagic?

I've got a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (not the plus).

Ideally I'd prefer to have one component fewer in my setup.

How much does one need to spend on an integrated amp to get an internal DAC that at least equals the DacMagic?

I don't think it would be too hard to better the DacMagic.  As long as you stay away from cheapest options from onkyo, sony, denon ect.  DacMagic 100 has been around for a while now and Dacs have come a long way, especially at that the lower price point.

It would be a lot cheaper just to upgrade the DAC and hide it, if you're happy with your amp of course.  A Schiit Modi 3 $190aud shipped, for example would eat the Magic for breakfast I'd say. 

I wouldn't pick an amp for its built in DAC performance personally over amp performance personally.  As a DAC upgrade can be done cheaply in the future as things progress with DAC technology.  Amp technology doesn't seem to move as fast, so investing in the a good amp would better money spent.  I do like components for this reason but that's just me. 

I have an Audiolab 6000A $1400 with a build in DAC, and paired with a Schitt Etir USD-to-SPDIF (no usb input on amp) is very good.   The Audiolabs DAC is no better then the Modi 3 in my PC setup just a little different in character.

If you are looking for a super clean setup, like your thinking,  have you considered looking at all-in-ones:  Streamer/Dac/Amp/phono eg. Bluesound Powernode 2i (Class D)  $1500 or Audiolab 6000A PLAY (A/B) $2000 and just add speakers. 

Anyway, if your not looking for a major upgrade from your current DAC, then I would not be too worried about the inbuild options in any integrated amp, as long as the unit is a relatively new model, so my answer to your question would be not much.

Just food for thought, I'm no expert and haven't listened to a DacMagic 100, but from my reading a worth while upgrade could be done cheapy.  

• Thanks 1
On 22/01/2021 at 3:59 PM, StuDog78 said:

It would be a lot cheaper just to upgrade the DAC and hide it, if you're happy with your amp of course.  A Schiit Modi 3 $190aud shipped, for example would eat the Magic for breakfast I'd say. 

Thanks for your feedback. Lots to think about here.

Out of curiosity I've been trying to look up anything to confirm that a new DAC like the Modi is better than an old DACMAGIC. The best I could find was that if you had to buy new today, the Modi represents far better value for money, but replacing one with the other would not give much improvement. I'm new at this so don't know any better, but found that interesting. Keen to explore this further.

I've come to agree that a new integrated amp would perhaps be a good investment of  $$, and am researching this accordingly. Even better, I'm going to actually go into a shop and demo a couple of units.