Christian Bale - I've become a fan

Howdy folks,

I've been watching a few Christian Bale films and have to say, I'm quite impressed with his Acting and more so, commitment to the role.

Apart from American Psycho, which I love, I've always though he was a ****..  I do acknowledge he was the best of the Batman leads but couldn't really enjoy watching him otherwise.

However, having watched again a few of his movies over the past week, I've been quite impressed with his range and investment to the character.  I watched The Fighter last night and his performance stole the movie in my opinion.  Just fantastic in how he delivered that character.

Other recent standouts are:

American Hustle

Vice

Ford and Ferrari

Edited by scuzzii
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

Howdy folks,

I've been watching a few Christian Bale films and have to say, I'm quite impressed with his Acting and more so, commitment to the role.

Apart from American Psycho, which I love, I've always though he was a ****..  I did acknowledge he was the best of the Batman leads but couldn't really enjoy watching him otherwise.

However, having watched again a few of his movies over the past week, I've been quite impressed with his range and investment to the character.  I watched The Fighter last night and his performance stole the movie in my opinion.  Just fantastic in how he delivered that character.

American Hustle

Vice

Ford and Ferrari

Ill take that onboard and watch... tbh I thought the same about American Psycho but hadnt given him much chops since.

Edited by ScottyPeace

8 hours ago, scuzzii said:

Howdy folks,

Apart from American Psycho, which I love, I've always though he was a ****..  I do acknowledge he was the best of the Batman leads but couldn't really enjoy watching him otherwise.

American Hustle

Vice

Ford and Ferrari

Vice is one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen

Great movie as well deals with the real political issue of power rather than superficial glory

As is American Hustle

• 2 weeks later...

He's one of this generations best actors.

Superb in roles like The Machinist, The Fighter, American Psycho, The Big Short, American Hustle, Out of the Furnace and of coarse, The Batman trillogy

• Like 2

Guest crankit

Some of his early films

Rescue Dawn - POW movie

Harsh Times - Homeland security officer

If you like Terrence Malick films - The New World

I'll always check out a film that he is in and agree with @nocoder that he is one of the best actors of his generation. He is fearless in the roles he takes on, in that he chooses a great role or story rather than always being the likeable hero or financially successful. Batman is almost an aberration in his career.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was a massive fan up until he did Batman. He was fantastic in Metroland, All the Little Animals, and Reign of Fire.  He was so natural and believeable and you just felt the characters. Everything after Batman became like a caricature and his acting became all the same to me, like all Amercanised. Still glad he hit the big time.

I remember the period when he was using the New Yorker accent for everything and thinking he just sounded like a fake. Then one day I was watching a news story on TV and they were interviewing this New York cop and I was thinking to myself, why does this guy’s voice sound so familiar and then I realised he sounded just like Christian Bale. So yeah, I think he’s real talented but the roles he takes are just not for me anymore. If he went back to more indie work or did a sci-fi or added some more range to his roles I’d be right back there following. 

Edited by deviltoob

Directed by Werner Herzog, one of my fave directors!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_Dawn

< Director Herzog's fascination with the cruelties of man and nature led his interest in the 1997 documentary Little Dieter Needs to Fly about Dengler's experiences in captivity. He chose to revisit the story in a cinematic theatrical version with Christian Bale portraying Dengler. Compared to Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn understates the suffering of the prisoners, including omitting some of the worst torture experienced by Dengler. Herzog did not want to glorify the prisoners' woes, as the film is rated PG-13 >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Dieter_Needs_to_Fly

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/little-dieter-needs-to-fly-1998

• Like 3