Yamaha CR-800 Receiver Questions

I have a lovely vintage Yamaha CR-800 Receiver, which is currently serving as a phono preamplifier for two turntables, as it has two phono inputs.

Its separate pre and power sections, excellent tuner and headphone amplifier make it particularly useful and versatile for other duties as well. 

I have a few questions I’m looking to get some advice on. 

Although it currently has no issues, if I were to press it into use purely as an integrated amplifier, would there be great gains, sound-wise, to be made in getting it recapped? If yes, what sort of cost would I be looking at, and who/where in Melbourne would be a good person/place to contact?

Also, if I were to replace it at some time in the future, how much would I need to spend  on something new, just in order to equal its performance as an integrated amplifier?

Many thanks for any and all advice offered. 

8FD79E3B-3FB8-4D91-9D45-ADF33330D6B9.jpeg

• Like 1

A refurb should include replacement of,
- electrolytic caps
- trimmers used for offset and bias
- known problematic transistors (2SC458LG possibly 2SC1345?)
- out of spec fusible resistors
- speaker protection relay?
- clean switches, deep cleaning of coupler switch.

Looks like a "single board" design unlike the CA-800 so reasonably straight forward though the board is a bit of a birds nest.

Was a place in port melb that would quote $250-350 for a recap alone. Probably looking at 15hrs work to cover the above. I know of a CA-800 (refurb'd) that can be had for a little over $600-. The CR-800 should be a good amp (deeply familiar with CA-410, CA-710, CA-800/-1000/-1010/-2010) Have a critical listen, high crisp? Play a sustained bass track, eg a cello draw, loose bass?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mbz said:

A refurb should include replacement of,
- electrolytic caps
- trimmers used for offset and bias
- known problematic transistors (2SC458LG possibly 2SC1345?)
- out of spec fusible resistors
- speaker protection relay?
- clean switches, deep cleaning of coupler switch.

Looks like a "single board" design unlike the CA-800 so reasonably straight forward though the board is a bit of a birds nest.

Was a place in port melb that would quote $250-350 for a recap alone. Probably looking at 15hrs work to cover the above. I know of a CA-800 (refurb'd) that can be had for a little over $600-. The CR-800 should be a good amp (deeply familiar with CA-410, CA-710, CA-800/-1000/-1010/-2010) Have a critical listen, high crisp? Play a sustained bass track, eg a cello draw, loose bass?

Wow, thanks mbz.

I wasn’t expecting an answer with such technical detail. Many thanks.

Go ahead and get the work done...

Finding the right tech is the challenge .......

I run a full set of Rotel stuff from the same era as your Yamaha all serviced all sounding great..

Have fun

Tase.

• Like 1

I'd suggest if it sounds ok, keep using it. There's no harm, and if you're enjoying it well you're probably better off than the rest of us chasing the last 0.5%.

Concerning a recap, its easy enough but the tone is densely populated and takes a methodical approach.

The main amp detaches from the heat sink so thermal paste needs redoing. the c458 isn't in the signal so doesn't need touching.

So if you're getting someone to go in they need to be committed.

The amp was designed to be serviceable and a pro should know what to do.

On 21/01/2021 at 7:40 PM, RDM said:

I need to spend  on something new, just in order to equal its performance as an integrated amplifier

Thats not possible. Its full discrete with drop dead looks to boot.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MovingAhead said:

Thats not possible. Its full discrete with drop dead looks to boot.

I'd have to agree, hard to match the looks, it certainly will be a conversation maker. Maybe valves more so. Give it a good listen, expect a reasonable sound stage with crisp highs, tight bass but not overly deep.