Funk “Houdini”

15 hours ago, audiofeline said:

What exactly is it?  Is it like a carbon-fibre spacer (that I have read can improve the sound)? 

I would think that the benefits would depend on the cart/headshell/arm combination.

From what I understand it is a quite smart isolator. the tonearm are screwed to it and the cartridge is screwed it to it using separate screw. the first time I've seen this type of isolator. Other isolator the cartridge and tonearm is always still linked with a screw. In theory it makes sense

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PKay said:

How do you find their mat?

Ive got the 5mm one on a rega rp3, did non-blind tests between it and acrylic mats, plus the stock with the vta changed back to normal.

I love the funk mat, i also tried two funk achroplats but couldn't get them  to be dead flat. Ive now stuck my funk mat to the glass platter and have given up on mat improvements.

To me its an excellent product.

• Like 1

The Houdini is rather nicely made in its way. It’s basically two 3D printed parts which are held apart be a compliant (rubbery) element.

Not my idea of getting the most out of the record - esssentially you are mounting the cartridge on a marshmallow - this is not a stable base to accurately measure the groove. However if your arm/cartridge has issues, it is one way of hiding them.

As a simple experiment if you have a component with rubber feet, bypass them with anything - bronze, brass knobs - you'll hear the "rubbery sound" straight away if you go back and forth.

Soft materials tend to store energy and then slow release it, usually in an unpredictable time domain, and typically will muddy the sound. Furthermore when you have a boundary of materials with large differences in energy transfer speed, eg metal/rubber, you tend to get more reflected energy backward to the cartridge at each junction. If you have two materials that are similar in energy transfer speeds, there is less backward reflected energy.

In other words, if you have a decent tonearm, keep spongy puds and other like materials away if you want to get the most out of it. 

on the face, it seems the only thing extraordinary and new is the price  :)

or try the original for less than 1/3rd the price.   exact same concept, except no scissors required 9_9

Have any Houdini adopters tried the THE CARTRIDGE MAN's Isolator?

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/the-cartridge-mans-isolator/

I have one or two from a few years back in my draw that Len Gregory gave me to try his mk2 version.     

X0B1lSK.jpg

BiUzf14.jpg

Edited by metal beat

2 minutes ago, metal beat said:

on the face, it seems the only thing extraordinary and new is the price  :)

or try the original for less than 1/3rd the price. 

Have any Houdini adopters tried the THE CARTRIDGE MAN's Isolator?

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/the-cartridge-mans-isolator/

I have one or two from a few years back in my draw.     

X0B1lSK.jpg

BiUzf14.jpg

Why are they in a drawer? 

8 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

Why are they in a drawer? 

because after I removed V1 Isolator and put the cartridge back onto the tonearm, I preferred the sound " nude".   I feel if your tonearm is designed correctly there is no need for these " add on's.

Never got around trying the V2's.  Maybe my sceptical self will be motivated if someone wants to send me a Houndini and I will test on my Lyra Etna or Dyna XV-1s vs the Isolator, as I have an open mind.

Edited by metal beat

2 hours ago, Tasebass said:

You would think having less screws and interfaces would make just as much sense....

Tase

Always that argument with any sort of damping in tonearm. I kinda include this mod as damping tweak. Some tonearm and cartridge combo just sound great without damping some need a bit of damping to sound better. I also prefer no damping but sometimes the combo just forces you to use some damping. And damping a tonearm definitely changes sound.

I borrowed a Houdini from the local dealer on a 'sale or return' basis.

I fitted it to a Yamamoto ebony headshell and re-fitted my Denon DL103 which I love and use

for mono records and trying out finds from charity shops.

I was Intrigued and ended up fitting the Houdini  to my Ikeda 'Kai' mc mounted on an Ikeda CR 407 12"

tonearm on a Merrill-Williams 101.2 turntable.

The tonearm wires on the Ikeda headshell are quite stiff which seemed to be affecting the level

of the Houdini.  Being a bit 'DIY' I replaced the (also stiff) headshell wires on the Yamamoto headshell with some very fine Kondo tonearm wire. The 'Kai' now 'wobbles' when touched and the wires no longer restrict the cartridge movement. The difference Isn't night and day but there are definate improvements.

A bit more 'recorded ambience,' vocals are a bit more easy to follow, bass is a bit tighter and treble

is less splashy on some of my more 'didgital' records. No down-sides that i can hear.

I bought the loaned Houdini and an Achromat to go with It.

Anything that can bring even the slightest improvements to an already pretty good TT, arm and cartridge for $500 is a bargain in my book.

• Like 2

Ok, so I bought the Funk Houdini and this afternoon fitted the gadget, it only took around ten minutes to fit. Immediately noticeable was the drop on the noise floor, (thought I have tweaked my system enough to get rid if it but the Houdini uncovered there was more to lose).

Any sort of "rumble" and "clicks" during lead in tracks are now gone, resulting in better clarity and listening pleasure.

One concern I have is the azimuth, my Clearaudio tonearm is pre set at the factory guaranteed to be horizontal wth the TT  but, the Houdini created doubts as this can be affected by the tension of the screws (which are nylon BTW).

I will address this issue in the coming days but for now from me a thumbs up!

IMG_6936 (1).jpeg

IMG_6975.jpeg

IMG_6974.jpeg

Edited by Guzzista
spelling
  • Like 2