Need help with my CD player issue!

Guest Newbinfo

Guest Newbinfo

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out here. I'm new to repairing hifi and would love to learn :)

Issue: Well, it just seems to struggle to read the disc, then makes loud high frequency noise, then it just stops and says "no disc".

I began trying to teach myself using Youtube and other sources, but some problems I just cant find the answers to.

Anyway, Here is a video of my issue:

The CD player brand/ model is: Advance Acoustic MCD-200.

If someone knows or has an idea of what the problem could be, please let me know :)

Thanks!

@Newbinfo

I fix CD players and my wife says that there surely must be easier ways of making money...

You have a long road ahead of you my friend if you want to fix electronic stuff. First step is to enroll at TAFE and do a Diploma in Electronics Engineering for a bit of knowledge of how stuff works comes useful on many occasions.

As far as your current problem, we would need a video showing what is actually happening.

Which will be pretty hard to do, given it is a DVD mechanism and the disc clamp is part of the cover you have just removed...

No CD player will ever read a CD with no clamp in place.

If you are determined to see what is happening, remove the CD clamp from the unit's lid and once the CD tray goes in put it in place.

Then you will see if the head travels to the centre of the CD, laser hunts for disc, locks in, reads T.O.C. and what is does from then on.

More practical solution is to replace the complete mechanism assembly. You won't have to worry about limit switches at the like.

The problem is pretty much like the @pwstereo said.

And also that it is a mass produced $10 DVD mechanism which might have been at the limit of passing the specs at factory and now, being slightly worn, it does so no more.

Clean the lens with isopropyl alcohol as the first step before replacing the mech.

When you replace it, do it at static controlled workstation, or at at least ground yourself before removing the laser diode shorting blob.

Hope it helps.

Roman

Guest Newbinfo
10 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Dirty laser lens assembly?

Misaligned laser lens assembly and unable to focus?

Has there been any handling of the unit that might have jolted things out of alignment?

Hey @pwstereo, thanks a lot for this reply. I already cleaned the lens and it didn't change anything. I really believe it may be the misaligned laser lens; because i have also did lots of research and people have mentioned this causing a similar issue. The problem is, i dont know how to align the or change the laser. On other cd players i see its a small screw that needs to be slightly turned, but i have no idea what to do on this cd player. Would you be able to help me if i share a pic of the laser?

@rockeater

Love this detailed reply! 

Well, i hope what your wife said doesn't apply to me, because I found myself passionate about problem solving and electronics ?

I have tried searching for study in this area, but I have only found pre apprenticeships that lead to becoming an Electrician. Tomorrow i have an interview with an owner of an electronics repair store, he said that he is seeking an apprentice to teach, so this may be the way for me :)

And as for the second part of your reply... Thats a bit too advance for me, I kinda have no idea what you're talking about lol

Except for the clamp part, thanks for teaching me that!

If I can't figure this one out, I will wait until i am more skilled and then come back to it.

Thanks heaps guys, really appreciate it!

9 hours ago, rockeater said:

More practical solution is to replace the complete mechanism assembly. You won't have to worry about limit switches at the like.

Just replace the whole mechanism.

The little pot you mention is laser power adjustment and very often it is very sensitive and should not be adjusted without laser power meter (which now costs hundreds and is hard to come by). Crank it by too much and you laser will burn out fast (hours).

The work is simple and mechanical.

The only thing you got to do is to remove the solder blob short from the new mech.

When you get the new mech, post a pic and I will tell you where it is if you do not work it out yourself.

Wear cotton clothing so you do not generate static electricity.