Powerboard

What would be a good filtering power board/strip (for audio purposes) for those of us who have never had anything like it?

I have upgraded my audio system (well, replaced is probably more accurate - albeit in stages) and I reckon I might as well have a look at the power distribution too.

Now I have to admit, I'm fairly skeptical about this (but happy to be proved wrong). So spending a couple of thousand (and even a bit less) feels weird. A couple of hundred $ I might consider, though.

Any suggestions?

I'd look out for a Cawsey Powerboard.  They come up here SH occasionally for $200 to $250; they are about $500 new from Garry in Brunswick who custom builds them to his design.  These are the base units with essentially a Kambrook outlet strip, and these  spurred me on to check out even better ones that he can build to order (shielded case, shielded leads, etc.)  Impressive increase in SQ ...  IMO they are worth the $$ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sander H. said:

I read somewhere on this forum that you shouldn't connect an amp to such a powerboard? (It seems to, and I quote, "slow the beat"?)

You mean lose some dynamic.  Normally I prefer amp to the wall, the rest of components you can connect to the powerboard.  

• Like 1

General recommendation would be to only use passive filtering devices to low power devices - eg phono section, preamp, DACs, and not high power devices such as power amps. For power amps to benefit you'd need to use a powerful conditioner and/or regenerator which is guaranteed to not kill the dynamics. The price difference between the two is huge. The Thor smartboard is something quite mainstream and relatively affordable in the filtering device range. https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/product/smartboard-8/ They have a cheaper range which is a little less effective. Here's the full range: https://www.thortechnologies.com.au/product-category/office/

I personally haven't found filtering devices particularly advantageous, but regenerators are - however they cost 10x as much.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 3