Sub, weak link, upgrade?

Over the last 8 months I've been upgrading my HT including, SR6014, NAD M25, ceiling speakers resulting in a 5.1.4 setup. Room is large, 8m long 5m wide, ceiling 2.7. 

Really happy with it except it has exposed how weak my sub is, Richter Thor mk1 with mk2 amp and driver.

Few movies ago it started to over extend without really being pushed, it now has the occasional rattle.

I would like to go dual subs at some point. Obviously SVS is the go to brand but my budget will not extend to that. Preference wise I would want the PB2000 pro for no metal screen and 12 inch.

As SVS is now out, been looking at other cheaper options. I'm leaning towards 2 Polk HTS12 subs. Probably 1 at first.

Frequency response seems reasonable but power is 200 watts which seems under most.

I'm not one who pushes subs to max, I like it to blend, but I do want the lower Frequencies. 

Opinions please.

Edited by SGS

Specs

Model Number HTS12-BLACK
RRP 999.00
Specs

Specifications:

Subwoofer Array Driver Complement: 12" (30.48 cm) Polypropylene Dynamic Balance and Klippel optimised driver
Subwoofer Array Driver Enclosure Type: Power Port Bass Vented
Peak Power: 400 Watts
Continuous Power: 200 Watts
Amplifier Class: Class D
Total Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 180 Hz
Lower and Upper -3dB Limits: 28 Hz - 120 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Audio Inputs: LFE (Unfiltered), Stereo Line Level (2x RCA)

Adjustments:
- Volume +/-
- Low Pass Filter (40Hz-160Hz)
- Phase (0/180°)
- Power: Auto on/off
- Power: DC control (12V trigger)

Height: 46.99 cm
Width: 43.5 cm
Depth: 46 cm

Weight: 22.63 kg

Suggest keeping the existing sub and add to it. While it is ideal to have 2 identical subs, it can work with 2 different subs. Some placements to consider

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/dual-subwoofer-placement-for-your-home

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/subwoofer-placement-the-place-for-bass-part-1/subwoofer-placement-the-place-for-bass-part-1-page-6

• Like 1

Second link was interesting, cheers for that.

If I get just 1 to start I'll try with the Thor. Ideally though I think 2 new subs are in order.

There are some decent deals on the Polks.

• Like 1

Been googling lots. I think the Polk is out. Checked out many others and I think SVS PB 1000 could be the go.

Wasn't keen on a 10 inch driver, but it goes to 19, which is much better than most.

2 would be better, but for now 1. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SGS said:

Been googling lots. I think the Polk is out. Checked out many others and I think SVS PB 1000 could be the go.

Wasn't keen on a 10 inch driver, but it goes to 19, which is much better than most.

2 would be better, but for now 1. 

Many people believe that it is possible to solve a bass problem by simply getting a larger sub which can  go down low and loud.  It is more important to even out the bass in the room, firstly by room treatment (topic for another day) and then by using multiple subs.  A room with even bass is what delivers the thump.  Hence, my suggestion to keep the Thor and add a second sub (PB1000 is good).  Don't forget the Classifieds which is good place to get value with a limited budget.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Many people believe that it is possible to solve a bass problem by simply getting a larger sub which can  go down low and loud.  It is more important to even out the bass in the room, firstly by room treatment (topic for another day) and then by using multiple subs.  A room with even bass is what delivers the thump.  Hence, my suggestion to keep the Thor and add a second sub (PB1000 is good).  Don't forget the Classifieds which is good place to get value with a limited budget.

Will certainly give the thor and new one a go, it might have to be set quite low as it is now. Ideally I'd like 2 the same, placed left and right of mains.

Been watching classifieds. 

why do you want 2 subs left and right of mains? standard way 2 subs are advertised but reality may say place one behind your seating.. always works better for me and you have audyssey xt32.

anyway you are in Vic so just buy this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/skye/speakers/svs-pb-12-plus-subwoofer-great-condition/1266333026

use with existing sub.

4 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

why do you want 2 subs left and right of mains? standard way 2 subs are advertised but reality may say place one behind your seating.. always works better for me and you have audyssey xt32.

anyway you are in Vic so just buy this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/skye/speakers/svs-pb-12-plus-subwoofer-great-condition/1266333026

use with existing sub.

Thanks for that. I read the review link seller gave, seems quite an awesome sub. Messaged seller.

Have spoken to seller, still available, he stoppedd using it 2 years ago, stored properly so have commited to purchase it. He has the 2 port plugs as well.

Only trouble is he won't hold it for me and I can't get there for a few days, 2.5 hours away, I'm in Ballarat. 

Edited by SGS

11 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

haha part time klipsch owner here.. the same over pricing applies to all klipsch products sold in Oz.

maybe add 35% to that $2k price. ?

Agree the brand is expensive , but the SPL-150 retail for $2700 each . $2k is a good price . RF-7’s are 9k a pair . I saved $2500 straight up . I’d love to know what there bringing them in for . I think there $1800 US dollars each , so puts a pair at just over $5k AUD . 
even $6500 what I payed was way too much .

I realise SVS are overpriced here. About the only sub that isn't that I've looked at would be the Polk hts12. However the Polk doesn't get very low whereas the svs does.

I don't have funds to spend heaps either which limits my options. Running something with my Thor will have to make do until maybe a second svs when funds allow.

On 20/01/2021 at 7:40 PM, SGS said:

Really like the idea of new.

7 hours ago, SGS said:

I don't have funds to spend heaps either which limits my options. 

:hmm: Are you worried about people abusing their subs, hence want new?  Then buy from long standing members in the Classifieds. You can get a good idea of people by looking at their posts.

Also, getting a second sub from the Classifieds allows you to experiment with 2 subs, placement etc.  If it does not work out, flip it for little, if no loss.  You can lose 20 to 30% reselling a new unit...

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

:hmm: Are you worried about people abusing their subs, hence want new?  Then buy from long standing members in the Classifieds. You can get a good idea of people by looking at their posts.

Also, getting a second sub from the Classifieds allows you to experiment with 2 subs, placement etc.  If it does not work out, flip it for little, if no loss.  You can lose 20 to 30% reselling a new unit...

Have purchased 2 items from classifieds, both had issues. 1  completely unusable.   To be fair on sellers I don't think they were aware.

• Like 1

What about replacing the driver?

I like the look of the mk1 Thor it has enough power with the mkii amp which is still fine.

Anyone care to point me in a direction to start? Or am I being foolish.

• 4 months later...
On 24/01/2021 at 11:17 PM, lethal said:

Agree the brand is expensive , but the SPL-150 retail for $2700 each . $2k is a good price . RF-7’s are 9k a pair . I saved $2500 straight up . I’d love to know what there bringing them in for . I think there $1800 US dollars each , so puts a pair at just over $5k AUD . 
even $6500 what I payed was way too much .

Klipsch is now being sold direct by the HT guys in Fountain Gate. SPL-150 is now $2K retail and I got it for $1.8K without even asking. Apparently the previous importers were taking too much off the top!

Wasn't so long ago I lived in Narre North, but not now.

Sub is on hold, as amp died I'm now running off avr the sub is fine. But once amp is fixed, hopefully I'll be looking at 2 SVS PB 1000 Pro, when funds allow.

50 minutes ago, SGS said:

Wasn't so long ago I lived in Narre North, but not now.

Sub is on hold, as amp died I'm now running off avr the sub is fine. But once amp is fixed, hopefully I'll be looking at 2 SVS PB 1000 Pro, when funds allow.

We moved. But when we are allowed to travel, it's between us and Mrs CE's dad. Just dropped in there on the offchance and bought a $1800 subby. I'm happy, Mrs CE is happy (it's smaller than the one I was planning), the dogs are happy (always!)

On 19/01/2021 at 11:32 AM, SGS said:

Ideally I'd like 2 the same, placed left and right of mains.

as has been said above, there's no need to have 2 identical subs, or to place them left and right of your mains.

You place subs where they provide the smoothest bass at the listening position/s.

Some people have a "heavy lifter" sub, and a less capable "filler" sub.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Will have funds in a week or so. Still no word on when amp will be ready, I know 2 amp modules died and they are having issues finding replacements. Will be waiting till I know more. I might get just one PB1000 pro, might get 2 and be done with it. Current sub isn't that great.

Just speaking to JLS looks like they have my amp under control, amp modules were not faulty but leds were and they need balancing. Should be ready in about a week.

Once I have amp back, once again it will show weakness in the sub because I do like to up the volume. In the coming days I will have funds for a new sub.

I know I could just get one PB and that might be enough in conjunction with my existing sub, or do I just get 2 and be done with it. Also thinking I will try subs in corners.