Sub, weak link, upgrade?

Over the last 8 months I've been upgrading my HT including, SR6014, NAD M25, ceiling speakers resulting in a 5.1.4 setup. Room is large, 8m long 5m wide, ceiling 2.7. 

Really happy with it except it has exposed how weak my sub is, Richter Thor mk1 with mk2 amp and driver.

Few movies ago it started to over extend without really being pushed, it now has the occasional rattle.

I would like to go dual subs at some point. Obviously SVS is the go to brand but my budget will not extend to that. Preference wise I would want the PB2000 pro for no metal screen and 12 inch.

As SVS is now out, been looking at other cheaper options. I'm leaning towards 2 Polk HTS12 subs. Probably 1 at first.

Frequency response seems reasonable but power is 200 watts which seems under most.

I'm not one who pushes subs to max, I like it to blend, but I do want the lower Frequencies. 

Opinions please.

Edited by SGS

Specs

Model Number HTS12-BLACK
RRP 999.00
Specs

Specifications:

Subwoofer Array Driver Complement: 12" (30.48 cm) Polypropylene Dynamic Balance and Klippel optimised driver
Subwoofer Array Driver Enclosure Type: Power Port Bass Vented
Peak Power: 400 Watts
Continuous Power: 200 Watts
Amplifier Class: Class D
Total Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 180 Hz
Lower and Upper -3dB Limits: 28 Hz - 120 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Audio Inputs: LFE (Unfiltered), Stereo Line Level (2x RCA)

Adjustments:
- Volume +/-
- Low Pass Filter (40Hz-160Hz)
- Phase (0/180°)
- Power: Auto on/off
- Power: DC control (12V trigger)

Height: 46.99 cm
Width: 43.5 cm
Depth: 46 cm

Weight: 22.63 kg

Suggest keeping the existing sub and add to it. While it is ideal to have 2 identical subs, it can work with 2 different subs. Some placements to consider

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/dual-subwoofer-placement-for-your-home

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/subwoofer-placement-the-place-for-bass-part-1/subwoofer-placement-the-place-for-bass-part-1-page-6

• Like 1

Second link was interesting, cheers for that.

If I get just 1 to start I'll try with the Thor. Ideally though I think 2 new subs are in order.

There are some decent deals on the Polks.

• Like 1

Been googling lots. I think the Polk is out. Checked out many others and I think SVS PB 1000 could be the go.

Wasn't keen on a 10 inch driver, but it goes to 19, which is much better than most.

2 would be better, but for now 1. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, SGS said:

Been googling lots. I think the Polk is out. Checked out many others and I think SVS PB 1000 could be the go.

Wasn't keen on a 10 inch driver, but it goes to 19, which is much better than most.

2 would be better, but for now 1. 

Many people believe that it is possible to solve a bass problem by simply getting a larger sub which can  go down low and loud.  It is more important to even out the bass in the room, firstly by room treatment (topic for another day) and then by using multiple subs.  A room with even bass is what delivers the thump.  Hence, my suggestion to keep the Thor and add a second sub (PB1000 is good).  Don't forget the Classifieds which is good place to get value with a limited budget.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Many people believe that it is possible to solve a bass problem by simply getting a larger sub which can  go down low and loud.  It is more important to even out the bass in the room, firstly by room treatment (topic for another day) and then by using multiple subs.  A room with even bass is what delivers the thump.  Hence, my suggestion to keep the Thor and add a second sub (PB1000 is good).  Don't forget the Classifieds which is good place to get value with a limited budget.

Will certainly give the thor and new one a go, it might have to be set quite low as it is now. Ideally I'd like 2 the same, placed left and right of mains.

Been watching classifieds. 

why do you want 2 subs left and right of mains? standard way 2 subs are advertised but reality may say place one behind your seating.. always works better for me and you have audyssey xt32.

anyway you are in Vic so just buy this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/skye/speakers/svs-pb-12-plus-subwoofer-great-condition/1266333026

use with existing sub.

4 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

why do you want 2 subs left and right of mains? standard way 2 subs are advertised but reality may say place one behind your seating.. always works better for me and you have audyssey xt32.

anyway you are in Vic so just buy this

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/skye/speakers/svs-pb-12-plus-subwoofer-great-condition/1266333026

use with existing sub.

Thanks for that. I read the review link seller gave, seems quite an awesome sub. Messaged seller.

Have spoken to seller, still available, he stoppedd using it 2 years ago, stored properly so have commited to purchase it. He has the 2 port plugs as well.

Only trouble is he won't hold it for me and I can't get there for a few days, 2.5 hours away, I'm in Ballarat. 

Edited by SGS

It sold today.

I'm going to wait a while, see what comes up in classifieds or buy new. Really like the idea of new.

Klipsch SPL-150 . ? You can get them for 2k each . Great sub and they produce good blended base with my RF-7’s . Svs are over priced here in Aus 

image.jpg

Edited by lethal

haha part time klipsch owner here.. the same over pricing applies to all klipsch products sold in Oz.

maybe add 35% to that $2k price. 🙂

Edited by hopefullguy
11 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

haha part time klipsch owner here.. the same over pricing applies to all klipsch products sold in Oz.

maybe add 35% to that $2k price. 🙂

Agree the brand is expensive , but the SPL-150 retail for $2700 each . $2k is a good price . RF-7’s are 9k a pair . I saved $2500 straight up . I’d love to know what there bringing them in for . I think there $1800 US dollars each , so puts a pair at just over $5k AUD . 
even $6500 what I payed was way too much .

I realise SVS are overpriced here. About the only sub that isn't that I've looked at would be the Polk hts12. However the Polk doesn't get very low whereas the svs does.

I don't have funds to spend heaps either which limits my options. Running something with my Thor will have to make do until maybe a second svs when funds allow.

On 20/01/2021 at 7:40 PM, SGS said:

Really like the idea of new.

7 hours ago, SGS said:

I don't have funds to spend heaps either which limits my options. 

:hmm: Are you worried about people abusing their subs, hence want new?  Then buy from long standing members in the Classifieds. You can get a good idea of people by looking at their posts.

Also, getting a second sub from the Classifieds allows you to experiment with 2 subs, placement etc.  If it does not work out, flip it for little, if no loss.  You can lose 20 to 30% reselling a new unit...

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

:hmm: Are you worried about people abusing their subs, hence want new?  Then buy from long standing members in the Classifieds. You can get a good idea of people by looking at their posts.

Also, getting a second sub from the Classifieds allows you to experiment with 2 subs, placement etc.  If it does not work out, flip it for little, if no loss.  You can lose 20 to 30% reselling a new unit...

Have purchased 2 items from classifieds, both had issues. 1  completely unusable.   To be fair on sellers I don't think they were aware.

• Like 1

What about replacing the driver?

I like the look of the mk1 Thor it has enough power with the mkii amp which is still fine.

Anyone care to point me in a direction to start? Or am I being foolish.