How to pack record securely before postage

I am planning to sell some of my old collection of records online.

The first question is in what way can I pack to ensure the records are not damaged during transportation..

I bought some records from Japan and they came with really secure packing box and never been disappointed.

Just can't find something similar in Perth.

Please advise.

6 minutes ago, audiodyna said:

I am planning to sell some of my old collection of records online.

The first question is in what way can I pack to ensure the records are not damaged during transportation..

I bought some records from Japan and they came with really secure packing box and never been disappointed.

Just can't find something similar in Perth.

Please advise.

Get some 3-5mm thick plywood (from Bunnings?).

Cut into squares about 10mm bigger than the LP covers are.

Sandwich the LPs between 2 sheets of ply.

Duct tape all around the edges.

Andy

• Like 4

Although Andy's suggestion would guarantee the records would arrive undamaged, the weight of the ply would probably make the cost of the postage very high too.

LP mailers are available from ebay sellers   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20x-12-VINYL-LP-RECORD-MAILER-BOX-6-PANEL-TWIST-MAILER-PICKUP-FROM-GISBORNE/163927402364?hash=item262ad5a77c:g:AGcAAOSwfkpdvSeE&frcectupt=true

When I first sold records on line I got hold of  cardboard boxes and cut my own mailers out with a Stanley knife. Time consuming but cheep. 

Other thing to bear in mind is removing the record from the sleeve so that it dose not move and damage the sleeve and using some packing so the record is held tightly and cant move and cause rubbing or damage. 

You are right to be concerned, as last week I received a new  LP from the UK and the corner was dinged.  This could have been avoided if the mailer had been over size and any knock on a corner would have only affected the mailer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Get some 3-5mm thick plywood (from Bunnings?).

Cut into squares about 10mm bigger than the LP covers are.

Sandwich the LPs between 2 sheets of ply.

Duct tape all around the edges.

Andy

Postage would cost more then a LP....?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stump said:

Postage would cost more then a LP....?

Postage always costs more than an LP, S!  :lol:

3 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

That real thin ply weighs not much and a lot of warehouses just throw it out.

Absolutely correct, Lp.  :)  And it protects better (against bending) than a single-LP cardboard mailer.

Andy

• Like 2

Yes the Japanese ones are good and the UK one's flimsy.

Just source a supply online as linked, or pizza boxes.

Sadly the state of the nation means AusPost does not have a specific box available so ypu can't just get one as needed.

Y

19 hours ago, audiodyna said:

You can't guarantee no damage :(,  you can only limit the possibilities.

If you want good cardboard sleeves then check around about having them cut to your specifications. I did that for speakers and the boxes were actually quite cheap.

I would think that thin mdf would be an alternate to ply. 

If you use a cardboard sandwich, greater strength from bending is created when the "grain" direction of the corrugated boards are positioned at 90-degrees to each other. 

If you use duct tape (or similar) to seal the edges of your packing sandwich, take steps to ensure that the tape can't stick to the edge/spine of the record sleeve (eg. wrap the sleeve in some protective paper to prevent this from occurring). 

• Like 1

Some good tips here. Also make sure to remove the records from their covers and remaining in the outer sleeves. This should both prevent seam splits and protect the cover. 

Personally, I re-use mailers (Amazon are fine) while following the above and haven’t had any dramas with the records I’ve sold.