Amplifier and Speaker Pairing for Monitor Audio Silver 200

Hi All

I am researching the best choice of Integrated Amplifier (2 channel) for my Monitor Audio Silver 200.  Interested in finding out what current owners of MA Silver 200 are using as their amplifier and their view of how  the amp works with the speakers.

Thanks

Neil

@fernei01

This does depend quite a lot on your budget, however at the entry level I strongly recommend the Rega Brio. I have heard and used this amplifier  with various MAs over the years and the latest model is a superb match.

If you could advise regarding your budget and the other components in your system, that would make suggestions much easier.

Hi Rantan 

Budget is around $2k to $2.5k.  On my shortlist so far  are Musical Fidelity m3si (have listened to the M5si and it was very good), Rega Elex R and HegelH95. I am not interested in having digital components-DACS etc) as I want to spend my money on good amplification so Hegel is not a top on the list and its also quite expensive. Would like power of  about 85 watts per channel which is what my current amp is.  I would like a Musical Fidelity M5Si if I can get it for a good price (budget can be stretched a little bit for it)

I have also thought about the Cambridge Audio CXA81 but I feel like I might be paying for all the digital stuff which I want to manage via an external DAC hooked up to my Blueslund Node 2i.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Neil.

I really think you are on the right track with the MF amplifiers. I had an M5si, which I used with my  Silver 500 and it was absolutely superb( and to this day I have no idea why I sold the MF)

With Monitor Audio, current is far more important than watts and I think the M3si would be excellent as a partner. Of course the M5si would be better but thankfully the house sound is very similar. What you gain with the extra current of the M5si is better dynamics and detail, but you won't go wrong either way and the M3si will definitely work superbly.

Personally, I would avoid the CXA 81 because as you say ,you are paying a premium for the DAC and the associated digital circuitry. Also, the sonic signature of the Cambridge does not make for good synergy with the MA and reliability/ parts quality are far superior with the MF.

I also tried my Silver 500  with a Hegel amp and I didn't enjoy the pairing at all.

It just seemed to squeeze the life and vitality out of the MAs and (IMO ) you can get better sound for less.

Either of the Rega amps would work very well, but I feel  there is something intangible  about the Brio that just works a treat and I have used a Brio over the years with many of my in-house-at-the-time MA speakers ( and a variety of others also ).

Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Neil,

I approached your challenge from the opposite direction, ie I already had the  Elex R and was looking for speakers to match. I tested the MA Silver 200’s at Carlton AV and the pairing was impressive...much better than the (overly warm) Marantz PM8006 / MA combo that was already set up when I went in. The Elex R is essentially a beefed-up Brio with trickle-down tech from the Elicit. At 72 watts into 8 Ohms / 90 watts into 6 Ohms should be up to the job.

Go talk to the people at Carlton AV and have a listen for yourself (no affiliation).

Cheers,

Rohan.

6 hours ago, rantan said:

Hi Neil.

I really think you are on the right track with the MF amplifiers. I had an M5si, which I used with my  Silver 500 and it was absolutely superb( and to this day I have no idea why I sold the MF)

With Monitor Audio, current is far more important than watts and I think the M3si would be excellent as a partner. Of course the M5si would be better but thankfully the house sound is very similar. What you gain with the extra current of the M5si is better dynamics and detail, but you won't go wrong either way and the M3si will definitely work superbly.

Personally, I would avoid the CXA 81 because as you say ,you are paying a premium for the DAC and the associated digital circuitry. Also, the sonic signature of the Cambridge does not make for good synergy with the MA and reliability/ parts quality are far superior with the MF.

I also tried my Silver 500  with a Hegel amp and I didn't enjoy the pairing at all.

It just seemed to squeeze the life and vitality out of the MAs and (IMO ) you can get better sound for less.

Either of the Rega amps would work very well, but I feel  there is something intangible  about the Brio that just works a treat and I have used a Brio over the years with many of my in-house-at-the-time MA speakers ( and a variety of others also ).

Cheers.

Thank you rantan that's very useful info, I am leaning towards an MF or Rega and once I listen to them it may boil down to price as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hifigoose said:

Hi Neil,

I approached your challenge from the opposite direction, ie I already had the  Elex R and was looking for speakers to match. I tested the MA Silver 200’s at Carlton AV and the pairing was impressive...much better than the (overly warm) Marantz PM8006 / MA combo that was already set up when I went in. The Elex R is essentially a beefed-up Brio with trickle-down tech from the Elicit. At 72 watts into 8 Ohms / 90 watts into 6 Ohms should be up to the job.

Go talk to the people at Carlton AV and have a listen for yourself (no affiliation).

Cheers,

Rohan.

Thank you Rohan,  that is good to know. I will go  to Carlton Audio as they have both Rega and Musical Fidelity (will take my own amp for comparison so I know how much I am stepping up in sound quality).

• 1 month later...
On 18/01/2021 at 6:55 PM, fernei01 said:

Thank you Rohan,  that is good to know. I will go  to Carlton Audio as they have both Rega and Musical Fidelity (will take my own amp for comparison so I know how much I am stepping up in sound quality).

I don't know if you have made your decision yet, but I did the same and auditioned a number of amps at Carlton Audio to pair with my Silver 500s, including MF, Rega, Cambridge Audio, Rotel and several others. The staff there were very helpful and basically replicated my home system and swapped a number of amps in for me to audition. I ended up with the Rega Elex-R.

Well @Cafad once said to me that the Brio had a slightly warmer sound than the Elex. I guess it depends on the kindof sound you are after. I personally think MA speakers are on the brighter side of neutral so would tend to go for the Brio on what cafad said. I have read that MF is a very good match however haven't heard one myself. I did once have a pair of MA Bronze 1's and ran them with a Exposure 2010S2 which was a very very good match indeed. So although above your budget, this may be worth a thought. The guys at Audiofix may have some idea.

Hi Neil,

I do have a spare Brio if you wanted to borrow it and have a listen. Struggling to let it go as I know how good they are. I am in the SE. If keen please PM me. 

I figure it is always best to listen and test equipment in your own home with your cables etc.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi All

Sorry for bumping one year old theme, but currently I am on the same wave.

Recently I bought Monitor Audio 300 7g. But still don't have amp mainly because of chip shortage. The idea was MA 300 + Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DigitalPro-Ject Amp Box DS2. I have the pre-amp, but still waiting for the power amp from my local dealer ... So, probably I have to choose another one, because this waiting could prolong.

I do however some research for the possible matching and here is what I found till now

- Musical FIdelity M3si

- Rega Elex R

- Roksan K3

- Technics SU-G700

A lot of people are recommending the first 3 choices as a possible match. 

The last one - Technics, is actually my question.

1) Is this Technics integrated power amp will fit the MA Silvers 300 because it is bellow the recommendation power of 80-200W according to the MA documentation? The idea is to use it alone without my existing pro-ject pre-amp, because Technics has already.

2) If my very first choice with Pro-Ject products arrive anytime soon, is it good choice with the Silvers?

3)  if 1) and 2) are not good choices, which one of the above MF, Rega, Roksan will fit better?

Thanks for your patience!

36 minutes ago, Lalyo Rastev said:

Hi All

Sorry for bumping one year old theme, but currently I am on the same wave.

Recently I bought Monitor Audio 300 7g. But still don't have amp mainly because of chip shortage. The idea was MA 300 + Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DigitalPro-Ject Amp Box DS2. I have the pre-amp, but still waiting for the power amp from my local dealer ... So, probably I have to choose another one, because this waiting could prolong.

I do however some research for the possible matching and here is what I found till now

- Musical FIdelity M3si

- Rega Elex R

- Roksan K3

- Technics SU-G700

A lot of people are recommending the first 3 choices as a possible match. 

The last one - Technics, is actually my question.

1) Is this Technics integrated power amp will fit the MA Silvers 300 because it is bellow the recommendation power of 80-200W according to the MA documentation? The idea is to use it alone without my existing pro-ject pre-amp, because Technics has already.

2) If my very first choice with Pro-Ject products arrive anytime soon, is it good choice with the Silvers?

3)  if 1) and 2) are not good choices, which one of the above MF, Rega, Roksan will fit better?

Thanks for your patience!

The Technics would be okay but the Roksan is by far the best match of those in its ability to adequately drive those speakers. I'd skip the rest entirely. See this discussion which is very relevant:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

From that list , I would definitely be choosing the Roksan for the reasons stated by @Ittaku above.

Moreover, the Roksan is more tonally neutral and better suited to the MA Silvers and the new Gen 7 are really superb and worthy of a similarly talented amplifier.

If you are open to other suggestions you could also try the new Roksan Attessa integrated which is a superb match with the Silvers and it is available in streaming and non streaming versions which sound exactly alike but the streaming version uses an upgraded version of the Blue Os operating system, tweaked to Roksan's requirements

I have heard the Attessa with my 6G MA Silver 500 and it is a superb match ( I also think the Attessa is better value than the K3 and is a brand new design ).

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Hi @Lalyo Rastev, I can't provide advice on the amps above or even other alternatives as I haven't had the opportunity to test many new amps. The guys above are in the know and will help you make a good choice.

However, I do own a set of MA Silver 8 s that precede your Silver 300's, so if they are in any way similar in the current demands on my Silver 8's, then make sure you get an amp that can provide oodles of it.

For the first couple of years I ran a Cambridge CXA-80 and, even though it sounded better than the CXA-60 that I auditioned, its got ABSOLUTELY nothing in comparison to the much more capable (vintage) amp I currently run.  Big current brings life to these speakers.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by Rustee
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your kind advice! Definitely will go with Roksan then. But still to decide whether Attessa integrated or K3 power amp + my current Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital as a source.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 11:44 AM, Lalyo Rastev said:

Thank you all for your kind advice! Definitely will go with Roksan then. But still to decide whether Attessa integrated or K3 power amp + my current Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital as a source.  

Hi,

Have you bought an amplifier?

I am running monitor audio monitor 200 with Rega Brio amp, the sound is great even though the speakers are budget. I think about upgrading to Monitor Audio Silver 200 G7. I've seen many suggesting the Roksan Attessa Amp, but what about the Arcam SA20 integrated amplifier?  Would Arcam be a good pair with the Silvers?

Thanks.