Banana connectors on Cambridge Audio AXA35?

Today I bought a Cambridge Audio AXA35. According to all the information available (including the images on the Cambridge Audio website), it should come with banana connectors. Unfortunately, it turns out it does not. This image is from the Cambridge Audio website:

Cambridge_AXA35_Packshots_IMG_02.jpg?itok=ZXoDb2tB

Does anyone have this amplifier *with* banana connectors? I'm just curious why this difference occurs. Would it be possible to swap the existing ones for banana connectors?

Thanks!

Edited by Sander H.
Fixed typo
  • Sander H. changed the title to Banana connectors on Cambridge Audio AXA35?

@Sander H., you use 'banana plugs' with spkr wires.

The red & black sockets in the middle of the back panel are the spkr 'binding posts'.  These accept:

• banana plugs - push them into the holes you can see in the pic.
  • spade connectors - unscrew the outer barrel of each binding post, push the spade around the metal centre ... and screw up the outer barrel to clamp the spade in place.

Simples - no need to change anything!  :)

Andy

+1 on what @andyr said.

The red and black thingymagigs are binding posts into which you insert your speaker cables which are (probably) fitted with banana plugs.

@Sander H.    What you have here since you only purchased it today, are small plugs set into the socket of the binding posts which are easily removable via some pliers.

This is a silly idea that was adopted for all EU countries ( which included the UK at the time) because a child stuck a fork into a binding post and received an electrical shock which killed her. Although the situation was very tragic, it was a knee jerk reaction since the child may have placed a fork in a power point as well.

The bottom line is that these are removable in seconds and you can then use your banana terminated plugs directly in to the binding post.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, rantan said:

Ok. \What you have here since you only purchased it today, are small plugs st into the socket of the binding posts which are easily removable via some pliers.

You were very, very right! No pliers needed, a fingernail did the trick. It honestly looks like a solid piece of plastic, hence it never occurred to me there might be a plastic pin fitted.

Awesome! Many thanks! :D

No problem,happy to help. Yes, finger nails usually do the job bit on rare occasions pliers may be needed.

Enjoy!:)

• Like 1

Have a good listen with the bananas and see if you like them. Unfortunately too many banana plugs actually have very small areas of actual connection. I had some of these and preferred the screw-on connectors done up really tight.

11 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Unfortunately too many banana plugs actually have very small areas of actual connection.

Greg is right, @Sander H..  :thumb:

The banana plugs which give the most area of contact are these cylindrical ones from Multi-Contact (in Switzerland).

1879416689_MultiContactLS4BP.thumb.jpg.03e61341efc49e5daf18810f931f45cd.jpg

Andy

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NigelP
      Item Condition: Used as new. CXA 3yr old; Node 2i 6mth old Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Lilydale State: VIC Payment Method: PayPal, Cash on pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading If you’re looking at getting into streaming, this is a great entry level amp/streamer combo.
      https://youtu.be/F31RAuvik8g
      https://youtu.be/Ho4k9wRjzPc
      Splitting available - PM me.

• By JC71
      Item Condition: Used, clean, fully functioning Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Aveley State: WA Payment Method: Cash on pickup, PayPal (fees at buyer’s expense) Reason for selling: Upgraded Further information:

*** PRICE DROP ***

My faithful servant for the last few years. Bought to replace a Yamaha RX-V2600, and was so impressed I replaced most of my gear with Cambridge Audio gear over time.

Very clean unit from a kid-free, pet-free home, in great condition for its age.

Includes original remote (which has a broken battery cover - sticky tape holds it closed at one end, but should be easy fix/replace - and a small dent in the side - see pics). Doesn't affect remote operation in any way.

includes printed manual.

Received great reviews at the time - with a "conservatively" rated 100W into 8 ohms x7 or 120W into 2 channels. Big toroidal power transformer to provide effortless power, and low 0.006% THD.

https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/receivers/cambridge-audio-azur-640r-276867/review

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-640r-av-receiver

I have only used as an audio amp for SACD, not for movies, so no idea how it goes with HDMI, but reviews indicate the functionality is basic.

Thanks!

(Sorry: pics are upside down - as this is my first ad with pics I don't know how to fix!)

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By Maddoggtannan
      Item Condition: Used excellent condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ascot Vale State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash, pay Id, PayPal Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information:this is a great amp and I'll be sad to see it go. Got it about 2 years ago and it did a fantastic job while I had it. Included original box, power cable and remote. 

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Maddoggtannan
      Item Condition: Used excellent condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ascot Vale State: Victoria Payment Method: Cash, pay Id, PayPal Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information: this is a great amp and I'll be sad to see it go. Got it about 2 years ago and it did a fantastic job while I had it. Included original box, power cable and remote. 
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By dan-m9
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Toowoomba State: Queensland Payment Method: Paypal (+2.6% Fees) , EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR (upgraded to floor standing) Further information:
      In great as new condition, perfect working order and they deliver incredible performance for its size and price. Comes with Bass stoppers too.
      Still a current model that sells for $499 AUD new ($429 on sale currently).

Any questions please ask.  

Extra Info/Specs:
      https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/cambridge-audio-sx-50-bookshelf-speakers?variant=16063938947

Photos: