Anyone opposed to me merging these Currently Spinning topics?

• Administrators

Both threads appear to have lost their way a touch in regards to spinning CD/Vinyl formats. Any reason not to just merge them into one thread?

• Like 2
  • Marc changed the title to Anyone opposed to me merging these Currently Spinning topics?

I’d prefer them to be seperate, in the vinyl current spinning thread there is usually details about the pressing and release details that I find informative, I’d prefer to not have to scroll through the other formats as I’m many interested in vinyl.

• Like 1

The issue is more about people’s passion about the formats 

Pretty sure the vinyl purists won’t like it one bit - and it may also rub people the wrong way if something that is dear to ones heart is taken away from them 

One solution is to give the currently spinning thread a catchier name and trial it for a while 

A catchy heading may be all that’s needed .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, metal beat said:

merge the coloured vinyl into vinyl spinning.

or I might create a Black vinyl spinning thread :)

Or we could start up a few more for cd - jewel case, digi and super jewel. Also standard, HDCD, SACD etc. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would prefer to see them stay apart.

Playing CDs I couldn't care less - but vinyl is completely different for me and I like to read of the differences in pressings and what is available new and the quality.  ie Sade Box Set, new 45rpm MOFIs etc.

A big thankyou for asking and not just lumping them together straight up.

• Like 2

For me the currently spinning threads are mostly about the music, with the format being secondary. I personally don't mind if the two threads you mention are merged, but its not a big deal for me either way. I kind of agree that the general currently spinning thread may have lost its way a bit. 

What I personally would not like to see is any merger of world music, jazz, classical, country, electronic, prog etc currently spinning threads, or  splitting of those threads purely based on format. I know that is not being suggested, but just thought I'd state my opinion about that.

I get quite a lot of value from those threads. I enjoy reading other people's opinions about music, and also like to post my opinions from time to time as well.

I do think though that the general 'currently spinning' thread has become a bit sparse regarding sharing of information and opinions in recent times. Just posting pictures of album covers without saying something about the music doesn't really add much of value, at least to me. (Others, I know, may not agree with that, and that is fine.)

Fortunately, the 'musical genre' based currently spinning threads do seem to be more about sharing information, which is great.

• Like 4
  • Administrators

I'll leave it alone :) The people have spoken!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

thanks Marc,  I find value in the Spinning Vinyl thread because I don't need to pick the genre specific CS thread and we can talk about the pressing/specific release as well as the music.

• Like 1

I prefer the Vinyl thread on it's own and I enjoy seeing the different pressings. What I do think is odd is that the coloured vinyl had it's own thread - I always post in the "Vinyl Thread" no matter if it is coloured or black wax. One time I posted a coloured wax in the "vinyl thread" and someone from the "coloured" thread said I should have posted there. I did mention I only wanted to post in the one thread and have always been supporting the Vinyl Thread no matter what the colour wax.

If I want to post a CD I just post it under the normal "currently spinning" thread.

But vinyl I like to post in the vinyl only thread.................

• Like 6

Seperate

Too much snobbery in the record thread😀

Like a class system 

We need a computer listening thread only

Don’t merge the country thread 

That is the best thread with the best music and format neutral😀🪕🪕🪕

• Haha 1

Why has the thread name changed or am I imagining it?

Vinyl / Records (ONLY) - Currently Spinning

tautology - the saying of the same thing twice over in different words

Edited by metal beat
3 hours ago, April Snow said:

I prefer the Vinyl thread on it's own and I enjoy seeing the different pressings. What I do think is odd is that the coloured vinyl had it's own thread - I always post in the "Vinyl Thread" no matter if it is coloured or black wax. One time I posted a coloured wax in the "vinyl thread" and someone from the "coloured" thread said I should have posted there. I did mention I only wanted to post in the one thread and have always been supporting the Vinyl Thread no matter what the colour wax.

If I want to post a CD I just post it under the normal "currently spinning" thread.

But vinyl I like to post in the vinyl only thread.................

Agree 100%, and if I’m playing an album which has coloured vinyl (a very small % of my record collection anyway) and I want to share that album, it will be going in the Vinyl Spinning thread too.👍

Interesting that even those that don’t have a vinyl rig are happy to voice their opinion about the Vinyl Spinning thread too.😳

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

Just change the name Currently Spinning, to CDs Currently Spinning.  And merge Coloured Vinyl and Records/Vinyl together.

That way we would have 2 distinct formats. I love and enjoy both formats, but l wouldn't like them merged. I think this would please and suit most people.

👌 Ken.

Edited by needlerunner
  • Like 1
Just now, needlerunner said:

Just change the name Currently Spinning, to CDs Currently Spinning.  And merge Coloured Vinyl and Records/Vinyl together.

That way we would have 2 distinct formats. I love and enjoy both formats, but l wouldn't like them merged. I think this would please and suit most people.

👌 Ken.

5 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Sorry about the multiple postings.

I did an edit and it did a double up for some reason. Probably me, but don't know how l did it.😁

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Just change the name Currently Spinning, to CDs Currently Spinning

Putting CD in the name makes it too specific, what about all the other digital formats, I stream from Tidal and from my NAS, so don’t play CDs anymore.

6 hours ago, April Snow said:

CD/Digital Format for one thread

Vinyl for the other thread

sounds clearer to me  😉

Sounds good to me April.

As people still post vinyl on Currently Spinning. Don't need multiple sites for vinyl. Think your idea would simplfy things by separating vinyl from CDs. These are still the 2 most popular formats, though streaming is catching up. Other Digital formats would merge smoothly with CDs under Currently Spinning in the short term. But l can foresee it genetating it's own forum in the not too distant future.  At this stage, Vinyl/Records Only is the most popular site on this forum, and deserves to stand alone.

• Like 1

How about "Music Currently Playing" instead? Just a thought.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Nothing stopping you from starting that thread and see how you go.👍 

I’ll stick with the Vinyl Records - Currently Spinning thread for mine though and I only post them when I feel the album might be of interest to others here and I make sure I include the number of LP pieces, speed and the label too.

I would play maybe one CD every two or three months and when I’m not spinning vinyl, I’ll be streaming music throughout the rest of the day, but if I posted every album I listened to, I’d do nothing all day but post on currently spinning threads.😄

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

I like the vinyl only thread because I do not stream music (only to preview a new album that may come on my radar) and I hardly play CDs anymore at the moment ................so I like the fact that I do not have to go through so many posts to find the vinyl ones - so would hate for it to be generic "music spinning" one. I like the fact they are separated. The details in the Vinyl one I find valuable as someone only new to the medium. I am glad they are staying apart. Love this forum so much 🥰

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Nothing stopping you from starting that thread and see how you go.👍 

I’ll stick with the Vinyl Records - Currently Spinning thread for mine though and I only post them when I feel the album might be of interest to others here and I make sure I include the number of LP pieces, speed and the label too.

I would play maybe one CD every two or three months and when I’m not spinning vinyl, I’ll be streaming music throughout the rest of the day, but if I posted every album I listened to, I’d do nothing all day but post on currently spinning threads.😄

Cheers,

Keith

Maybe, will think about that.

I'm the other way around, in that I play mostly CDs, some downloads and LPs only rarely. I generally only tend to post when there is something about the music that I really like, and which I feel some others may find interesting, so we are probably similar in that regard. Likewise, I am fairly selective about what I post. My posts do take some time to put together (they seem to grow more than I expect when I start out), so I only post about a fraction of what I play.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Maybe, will think about that.

I'm the other way around, in that I play mostly CDs, some downloads and LPs only rarely. I generally only tend to post when there is something about the music that I really like, and which I feel some others may find interesting, so we are probably similar in that regard. Likewise, I am fairly selective about what I post. My posts do take some time to put together (they seem to grow more than I expect when I start out), so I only post about a fraction of what I play.

Yep, a very familiar approach, msb, especially as to what albums I post about, which I'm also fairly selective with. I rarely play CDs although I do have a large CD collection [can't bring myself to part with them:lol:] but the majority of my listening during the day would be streamed via the Bel Canto streamer. Digital playback though, CD or streamed, can't match the vinyl playback for SQ, so if I'm looking for the very best sound and I'm going to sit down in front to listen, it will always be vinyl.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3
5 hours ago, emesbee said:

Isn’t the point being made by record lovers that format is more important and interesting than the music being listened to

I read all the music playing threads because I’m a natural sticky beak and interested in what people listen to or like

Instead of looking at what books people are reading when I visit someone I check out what records they listen to😀

Ost of the time though unless it’s something I know about I never get the slightest hint as to what the music is or even what is liked about it

But I guess that’s my obsession 😀

• Like 2

I think the original currently spinning thread is poorer for the diversion of attention/traffic to spin off threads segregated by format and genre. Maybe the ship has sailed - some of the new threads are as/more popular than the original - but I don't think any of them are as good as currently spinning was when it was the main place members shared their music listening in an inclusive melting pot. It's no biggie, I just read the various spinning threads, but I think SNA is a fairly small pond when it comes to members interested in discussing music and we lose some critical mass when we split into silos.  

Oh and +1 for sharing more than just the image/title.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Isn’t the point being made by record lovers that format is more important and interesting than the music being listened to

I read all the music playing threads because I’m a natural sticky beak and interested in what people listen to or like

Instead of looking at what books people are reading when I visit someone I check out what records they listen to😀

Ost of the time though unless it’s something I know about I never get the slightest hint as to what the music is or even what is liked about it

My view is certainly different to that. The music is, and always will be, the most important thing to me. It doesn't matter how good a recording sounds if you don't like the music.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Monty said:

I think the original currently spinning thread is poorer for the diversion of attention/traffic to spin off threads segregated by format and genre. Maybe the ship has sailed - some of the new threads are as/more popular than the original - but I don't think any of them are as good as currently spinning was when it was the main place members shared their music listening in an inclusive melting pot. It's no biggie, I just read the various spinning threads, but I think SNA is a fairly small pond when it comes to members interested in discussing music and we lose some critical mass when we split into silos.  

Oh and +1 for sharing more than just the image/title.

I think the splitting of the threads has quite a bit of value, as long as it doesn't go too far. Its not too bad as it is at the moment, but would get a bit silly if the musical genres get sliced and diced too much.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, emesbee said:

I think the splitting of the threads has quite a bit of value, as long as it doesn't go too far. Its not too bad as it is at the moment, but would get a bit silly if the musical genres get sliced and diced too much.

I would love a Weimar Republic cabaret thread though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I would love a Weimar Republic cabaret thread though.

Go for it then! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, keyse1 said:

I don't agree with this at all and I'd be one of those record/vinyl lovers that you're referring to and I certainly don't regard the format to be more important than the music being listened to. I also don't get feeling when reading the Vinyl Records - Currently Spinning thread either, as far as other contributors go and as I have stated previously here in this thread, I try to give details about the album and generally what I liked or didn't like about the album too. I don't post everything I'm listening to otherwise I'd spend all my time posting in currently spinning threads, be they vinyl or digital format.

I initially thought you meant Original Sound Track, but I think you were trying to write 'Most', as that seems to make more sense.:lol: Are you saying when you visit someone's home that you look at their records but that gives you no hint as to what the music is or what that person likes about it? 🤪

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1
On 16/01/2021 at 9:57 PM, Marc said:

I'll leave it alone :) The people have spoken!

Indeed they have and the correct decision was made:thumb:

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

I don't agree with this at all and I'd be one of those record/vinyl lovers that you're referring to and I certainly don't regard the format to be more important than the music being listened to. I also don't get feeling when reading the Vinyl Records - Currently Spinning thread either, as far as other contributors go and as I have stated previously here in this thread, I try to give details about the album and generally what I liked or didn't like about the album too. I don't post everything I'm listening to otherwise I'd spend all my time posting in currently spinning threads, be they vinyl or digital format.

I initially thought you meant Original Sound Track, but I think you were trying to write 'Most', as that seems to make more sense.:lol: Are you saying when you visit someone's home that you look at their records but that gives you no hint as to what the music is or what that person likes about it? 🤪

Cheers,

Keith

I mean commentary about the quality of the record pressing leaves me clueless as to what the music is

I was half yoking about looking at someone’s records 

I have to careful I don’t put my foot in it when talking about bands or records😀

Bit off topic now (almost like a live conversation )

Years ago I did that here before I realised how seriously opposite opinions are viewed 😀

Diplomacy not my strong point 

I’m so used to arguing about rock n roll when drinking and face to face it is a bit more tricky in cyberspace with people you don’t know

I’ve learned a lot here but in the 65 years of life before posting here I had no idea that format was so important or something that people would die in a ditch over😀

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, keyse1 said:

I had no idea that format was so important or something that people would die in a ditch over😀

Don’t be silly, it’s far more important than that 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Marc locked this topic