Hi Guys 

I might be good at making sawdust etc but electronic’s are definitely not my strong point , and l would much rather make music than fire lol.
My question is if you have a crossover that is designed to suit 2 drivers and 1 tweeter . 
Can you add say another two of the same drivers and another of the same tweeter to the original crossover.

Ie 4 drivers and 2 tweeters on 1 crossover. 
Also could you use 4 drivers and 1 tweeter with a crossover that was designed for 2 drivers and 1 tweeter.

I am suspecting doubling up the drivers and tweeters will overload the circuit and a dedicated crossover for 4 drivers and 2 tweeters would need to be made.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated 

Cheers 

Overloading isn't really the core of the issue. Most well specced crossovers should be able to handle high levels of power anyway.

The really issue is that adding drivers will upset the crossover point. Paralleling 2 woofers, or tweeters or whatever will halve the impedance. And of course adding another driver is series will double the impedance. 

The crossover point defined by the crossover is a function of the values of the components which is set by the impedance of the drivers. So in the example of paralleling 2 woofers, the part of the crossover that cuts off high frequencies getting to the woofer (low pass) will shift down to roughly  half the desired frequency. If you add another woofer is series, to double the impedancence then you'll roughly double the frequency of the crossover. I say roughly because there are other factors at play due to the frequency response of drivers and the fact that their impedance varies of frequency.

There is one way to add drivers though and keep the same crossover (but you'd need to test this in the case of your specific speakers). If you took your woofer and added 3 more woofers, 2 in parallel and 2 in series you effectively end up with the same impedance at the desired crossover frequency. You also end up with 4 times the power handling (of the speakers) and at least 6dB more sensitivity. Expensive but it would most likely work.

Edited by deepthought

Thanks for your reply very interesting and hopefully. 
My centre channel is actually 2 speakers in one cabinet. So 2 drivers and 1 tweeter wired to 1 x over and the second pair of drivers and tweeter wired to a 2nd x over.

The speaker does sound good but l am wondering if I might be better to have 4drivers and I Tweeter in the middle.

The diagram below is this the way you are referring to wiring up the single crossover.Thanks again for your help .

Adrian84A2AE8B-9EBC-4312-BBDB-E0A535F9C785.thumb.jpeg.703a6001b90eb7af1d837fc8b7361761.jpeg

F9EB3A82-4B3C-4397-9FF3-B9285E59219D.jpeg

Are you trying to make the speaker narrower to fit in a space? I'd hate to see that nice speaker chopped up for no good reason ;)

Is this a DIY or a commercial design?

Edited by deepthought

Definitely not commercial l just love working with wood and love my hi fi . I was told that this arrangement would cause lobe across the seating position and thought l might make up another cabinet to compare. I made the 2 in one centre before I thought about joining the forum as l had all the parts there . I made the speaker for my tv cabinet like everyone always looking to improve. I take the grill off when watching movies 

cheers

0C3CECF1-3297-4545-8677-FDE3335D402C.jpeg

Crossover needs to be designed for the exact number and type of drivers, you can't just add more drivers.

• Like 1
On 16/01/2021 at 12:54 PM, Maverick59 said:

Would that Schematic l drew be the right way to wire up 4 drivers to one crossover ?

cheers 

How did you go? i maybe able to help. PM me and we can have a chat