New Classifieds Feature Coming - Ability to Repost Ads

• Administrator

A long-awaited feature request by many members is nearing completion. As you know advertisements automatically expire after 14 days if not marked as Sold.

Once the new feature is implemented, a new button will appear on Expired Ads, that says "Repost Ad". This will automatically take you to the editor window with all content pre-filled from your previous ad. You then have the ability to repost your ad without having to retype the ad content from scratch.

I hope to be able to activate this feature in the coming days - we're in final stages of testing.

Still to come:

• A list of Active, Sold, and Expired ads from your profile.
  • Ability to Mark Sold Elsewhere (rather than the assumption it was sold here on StereoNET).
  • Ability to create search notifications for specific keywords/brands/model numbers.

I do receive numerous PMs and emails per day about this, and other Classifieds related features. Please understand this is is first and foremost a forum community, and not an ecommerce type platform such as eBay/Gumtree/Ozbargain. Implementing these features is all custom coded, working within the limitations of forum software. Developers do not come cheap, particularly good ones that understand large databases and server loads when you have as many users as we do - especially in peak times each evening.

While I take all suggestions onboard, some are just not possible or absolutely cost prohibitive (at this time). But, as funds allow, I divert some to development and that is the case with this particular long-requested feature. If this will benefit you, or you appreciate what StereoNET offers you, please consider making a donation - it all helps and ensures we can continue to evolve this site, add new features, and overall continue to make this community thrive and prosper.

• Like 53
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 7

Thanks so much for working on and implementing these great features.  I do indeed "appreciate what Stereonet offers" and a donation is on its way. Anything which helps this great community thrive is well worth supporting IMO.

• Like 6

One cannot complain about a free facility such as this.

This however, is a move to further improve a  very functional platform.

Well done Marc and keep up the great work!

It is very much appreciated.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Assuming of course that the advert has not been changed extensively that it breaks forum rules...

Sadly, many can't follow rules and guidelines. That's just the way it is. They will still require moderator approval. 

Believe me when I say I wish we did not have to do it. It takes hours every single day vetting every single ad and frankly, it is tedious, and there are better things we could be doing. That's not to say that after monitoring it for some time, we may find we can drop approval of reposts. Hopefully that will be the case.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

Sadly, many can't follow rules and guidelines. That's just the way it is. They will still require moderator approval. 

Believe me when I say I wish we did not have to do it. It takes hours every single day vetting every single ad and frankly, it is tedious, and there are better things we could be doing. That's not to say that after monitoring it for some time, we may find we can drop approval of reposts. Hopefully that will be the case.

Is it possible to set it up to allow only price change? Then no need for moderator approval.

Note that someone can edit an advert after approval and make it non compliant!  So, not possible to make it foolproof anyway...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Is it possible to set it up to allow only price change? Then no need for moderator approval.

Note that someone can edit an advert after approval and make it non compliant!  So, not possible to make it foolproof anyway...

I don't think that's necessary as the ads aren't moderated after the fact if you change them. Sounds like more work than anything else.

Edited by Ittaku

• Administrator

All that will happen then is my inbo will light up with complaints that they want to repost but change some things in the ad. What we have done now is a good compromise.

• Like 1

Thanks Marc.  Great addition and appreciated!

Maybe one additional option?  Would it be possible to state who it sold TO?  This may require both seller and buyer to agree.  I've sometimes sent a PM to a buyer a bit later to ask their impressions of an item, or to get info or ideas.  Just a thought.

Well done to you Marc and the team behind the scenes , SNA is a wonderful tool and service for us lunatics who love a change as much as a holiday.and those others who use for information, sales and to just chat to fellow enthusiasts. 10-10

Thanks to all of you at SNA. Keep up the good work.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks Marc.  Great addition and appreciated!

Maybe one additional option?  Would it be possible to state who it sold TO?  This may require both seller and buyer to agree.  I've sometimes sent a PM to a buyer a bit later to ask their impressions of an item, or to get info or ideas.  Just a thought.

I’m leaning away from that idea due to privacy reasons. You could always just Pm the seller and ask who they sold it to I suppose. 

I don’t want to delay the roll out of this any longer with further development. I won’t entirely discount the idea though. 

• Like 2

• Administrator

You now have the ability to simply Repost your Expired Ad. The Repost button will appear on any of you ads after 14 Days and the ad shows as Expired.

This is just in Beta for testing at the moment of course. Please do let me know of any bugs here.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator

Update on below:

• In Progress - A list of Active, Sold, and Expired ads from your profile.
  • Not Yet Started - Ability to Mark Sold Elsewhere (rather than the assumption it was sold here on StereoNET).
  • Planning - Ability to create search notifications for specific keywords/brands/model numbers.

Just to mention again, while I take all suggestions onboard, some are just not possible or absolutely cost prohibitive (at this time). But, as funds allow, I divert some to development and that is the case with this particular long-requested feature. If this will benefit you, or you appreciate what StereoNET offers you, please consider making a donation - it all helps and ensures we can continue to evolve this site, add new features, and overall continue to make this community thrive and prosper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marc said:

You now have the ability to simply Repost your Expired Ad. The Repost button will appear on any of you ads after 14 Days and the ad shows as Expired.

This is just in Beta for testing at the moment of course. Please do let me know of any bugs here.

image.png

Can’t make it apply to already expired ads??