Vinyl Comparison series - XX Minute Matchups

I'm debuting a new vinyl comparison YouTube series today, called 2/10 (or more) Minute Matchups.

The first one is Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream' and as long as I can get the music clips I'm using past the officious music company search engines and get Fair Use on the copyright, I'll keep doing 'em.  :)

Would love to hear your thoughts, good or bad (especially bad so I can improve them).

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 4

Great concept, I really enjoyed it. I’m sure you volume matched the comparison, the black pressing sounded slightly lower in volume but I think it was just that it is less dynamic and a more recessed mix. It will be interesting when you compare an album that is very similar between the two pressings, and the differences are more subtle.

I liked the text descriptions of the differences as it was playing, much better than perhaps doing it after listening.

Well done ?

• Thanks 1

Appreciate that very much, thank you for taking the time.  ?

You're 100% right - the sound was processed exactly the same, and the Half speed was indeed mastered/pressed a DB or perhaps 2, quieter (or so it seems).
Regardless of the volume difference, I could also hear those changes in the mix quite clearly. I tested the final video on my old iPhone 6 SE this morning, and it was even more stark!  ;) 

I'll keep the text descriptions then... I think it does help having some pointers and hints as it rolls.

1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

I really liked it, keep ‘em coming please.  At this stage I wouldn’t change any of it.

Cheers Peter - appreciate that.

I'll probably change small elements, just to keep it fresh.

And I'll certainly change my shirt from time to time.  ;) 

9 minutes ago, candyflip said:

And which albums to cover next?   :)

DS - Love Over Gold????

- eg. 80s MSTRDSK vs MAXICUT vs whatever Aus/US/Japan/other

- nice work with the first comparison vid

:thumb:

• Thanks 1

Nice concept.  I prefer not to be told what I am supposedly hearing going across the screen as you are watching.   I can see it being irritating if it is on every video and may ultimately cause viewers to switch off.

Edited by metal beat
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The latest in the series debuts this Sunday morning on YouTube.

A 10 minute monster featuring 3 pressings, vintage vs modern, of a bona fide rock classic.

Can't wait to share it with you!   :) 

image.png.c8a1edd602aca3aa833ad63a0b9ac5d0.png

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Analogueage said:

Jon, thank you, great comparison of an album I know well. Whilst it was hard for me to pick a clear winner it was easier to pick a clear loser which for me was the Rainbow pressing, very muddy and dull at least in my listening environment. 

Rob

Yes, I think that's the easier part.

And it often changed for me while I was doing this intensive listening session... I'd listen to all 3 of a particular section in order, then track back and listen to copy #1 again, and think it wasn't actually too bad...and my favourite swapped all around all the time.

Different parts were handled better by some copies, worse by others. You really do need to let go of all pre-conceptions when doing these and just listen, re-listen, and listen again, often in different orders while not knowing which is which.

Even then you come to the conclusion (like I eventually did) that you'd be happy with any one of the 3 copies, as long as you didn't play a different copy immediately after so you knew what you were missing!  ?

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Analogueage said:

Good point. I have only really done comparative listening tests on Dark Side and in the end it just ruined my listening session. For the most part I’m happy with what I listen to but your comparative tests are valuable. Thanks again 

Rob

Appreciate the feedback Rob - they only take about a month to do each (!!) so plenty more coming, in time....  ;) 

8 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Hi Jon,  once again great effort mate and I also appreciate your analysis -  not that it swayed me.  :)   As you say not a lot in them, and yet strangely I sense the 2012 MOV was a clear winner.  ?

Thanks Peter - it really did go back and forth.

Some days I thought nothing could touch the MOV, then I'd play the others alone and find joy in them too.

It wasn't (and isn't) an exact science and all 3 of them were pleasing at various times, at different times.

And I don't think we can discount the fact that my system favours one sound, but a different cart, a different amp, a different phono stage and speakers/room/ambient temperature/ear canal structure/personal preferences, even a different listening level in your room or on the headphones you choose, ALL make a difference to what we perceive as 'better'.

I think the MOV provides some listeners (perhaps the majority) with a pretty nice deal.

But I can see many scenarios where the others could provide equal or better value to some.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 10:28 PM, candyflip said:

And I don't think we can discount the fact that my system favours one sound, but a different cart, a different amp, a different phono stage and speakers/room/ambient temperature/ear canal structure/personal preferences, even a different listening level in your room or on the headphones you choose, ALL make a difference to what we perceive as 'better'.

I also don't think anyone should discount how one part of a system interacts with other parts and its audio impact. Particularly the room.

But, the middle aged audiophiles' bald spot isn't getting any smaller, and they knows best. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice work Jon! It makes me feel excited about revisiting these albums again!

(NZ Polygram Who's Next, Jasmine Record Hooker It Serve You Right to Suffer)

I found I was able to avoid reading text when I wanted to, like how I can read a newspaper and not see the ads. But I found the guiding text overall a positive thing.

A worthwhile labour of love. Thank you.

(but I'll skip the Billy Joel)

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Nice work Jon! It makes me feel excited about revisiting these albums again!

(NZ Polygram Who's Next, Jasmine Record Hooker It Serve You Right to Suffer)

I found I was able to avoid reading text when I wanted to, like how I can read a newspaper and not see the ads. But I found the guiding text overall a positive thing.

A worthwhile labour of love. Thank you.

(but I'll skip the Billy Joel)

Really appreciate that feedback & the viewing mate - cheers.

Yes, the text will annoy some, but the truth is that almost no-one comes to YouTube looking to explore and discover everything by themselves.

99% of watchers are actually after the evidence and conclusion, which they are then free to heartliy disagree with of course!  ;) 
But not having an opinion on what you present there is just about the worst sin of all.

So the text and the odd vocal rant, will stay, for YouTube.

• Like 1