CD Storage Options

I have around 2,000 CDs sitting in moving boxes, and need some way to store them. I previously used shelves from IKEA that were like CD sized book shelves, but I no longer have them and they are no longer sold. 

I wonder if anyone has had success with throwing away the cases and putting them in folders? This would save a lot of space. 

I don’t want to use book cases, as they are bulkier than necessary for CDs. 

Any suggestions appreciated! 

Many years ago when moving overseas for a while, I threw away all the cases and put the CDs in wallets/folders.

I've always regretted it, even more so since I built custom furniture to hold the ones I'de bought since.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 2

Just now, koputai said:

Many years ago when moving overseas for a while, I threw away all the cases and put the CDs in wallets/folders.

I've always regretted it, even more so since I built custom furniture to hold the ones I'de bought since.

Cheers,

Jason.

Custom storage would be much nicer. 

The wallet idea is really a compromise to keep everyone happy, as my stereo is in the lounge room. 

If I can find some nice shelves that aren’t too expensive it may be a possibility. 

I’m likely going to buy LP storage shelves from HIFI Racks. They also offer CD storage, but by the time I’d bought enough levels I’d likely be in the thousands, which is more than I wish to spend. 

Years ago there were a number of systems for storing CD disks in a wallet, one had a sophisticated design that had a pocket for the disk, book and back tray card, and had a metal bar (like on a suspension file in a filing cabinet) so it could be suspended on rails. 

I would suspect that these solutions would be harder to find now due to decreasing interest in CDs.  Also, many would come from the US, so you would have exorbitant shipping to add. 

An eBay search might find some options.  Here is something from the USA - 3-ring binder pocket https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/492/cd-binders-and-pages

One thing I've been thinking of would be to build a cabinet with pull-out drawers to house CDs with cases.  This would offer a greater density of storage compared to having them in bookshelf-type storage. 

Let us know if you find something good. 

Edited by audiofeline

Don't go to wallets unless you really have to. They are much less satisfying and efficient to browse, especially a collection your size. And even if you keep all the liner notes you still lose the tactile sense of the album as an object.

There probably aren't many - ah -'off the shelf' options around these days, and I agree regular bookshelves are oversized and clumbsy. So custom might be the way to go. I favour long shelf lengths, rather than square 'cubby holes'. It's easier to add new purchases in order without too much mucking around.

• Like 1

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/gnedby-shelving-unit-white-80360734/

You mean this from Ikea? still listed on the web sight?

I have two of these integrated with billy bookcases at the back of the room, also serves as diffusion but probably in the wrong place in my room.

Edit: the shelves are also height adjustable if you have blu-rays or what not.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MIKE.D79

There is a philosophical decision to be made.  If you like the tactile feel of using CDs, then get CD racks, shelves etc.  

I got over that, ripped the CDs to the NAS; my music source is the NAS. All my CDs (and movies!) are in sleeves..,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeoffRoberts said:

I have around 2,000 CDs sitting in moving boxes, and need some way to store them. I previously used shelves from IKEA that were like CD sized book shelves, but I no longer have them and they are no longer sold. 

I wonder if anyone has had success with throwing away the cases and putting them in folders? This would save a lot of space. 

I don’t want to use book cases, as they are bulkier than necessary for CDs. 

Any suggestions appreciated! 

I'm using a solution that sits somewhere in between shelving and wallets.

When I started to run out of room in my Blackline CD drawers, which are no longer available, I got half a dozen of these Snap-N-Store Double CD Boxes that sit on two shelves in a large bookcase (bookcase needs to be deep enough):

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Double-Storage-Black-SNS01658/dp/B001B0APOO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

They hold standard or slimline CD cases, but to expand the capacity I also got some packs of double-sided CD sleeves with index inserts.  I found some which have pockets large enough to accommodate the CD on one side and the booklet & rear insert on the other.

Something like this:

https://www.nierle.com/en/article/708376/Maxell_Sleeves,_Suitable_for_240_CD-DVD-Blu-ray_Double-sided,_With_240_Index_Cards,_120-pack,_Transparent.html

The ones with the index insert on the same side as the CD pocket opening are suitable.

or this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/120-Logic-CDS-120-Capacity-ProSleeve/dp/B000JJSQ58

You do need to fold over the edge sections of the rear insert so that it will not protrude too far out of the pocket.  Other than that they fit OK.

I tore an edge section off each rear insert and put it in the index insert.

The CDs that get played regularly are still in the Blackline CD drawers.

The lesser-played CDs and some special categories are in the Snap-N-Store boxes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Years ago there were a number of systems for storing CD disks in a wallet, one had a sophisticated design that had a pocket for the disk, book and back tray card, and had a metal bar (like on a suspension file in a filing cabinet) so it could be suspended on rails. 

I would suspect that these solutions would be harder to find now due to decreasing interest in CDs.  Also, many would come from the US, so you would have exorbitant shipping to add. 

An eBay search might find some options.  Here is something from the USA - 3-ring binder pocket https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/492/cd-binders-and-pages

One thing I've been thinking of would be to build a cabinet with pull-out drawers to house CDs with cases.  This would offer a greater density of storage compared to having them in bookshelf-type storage. 

Let us know if you find something good. 

These sleeves look good if that’s the way it goes. Great to have a spot for front and back covers. I was wondering what to do with those 

2 hours ago, MIKE.D79 said:

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/gnedby-shelving-unit-white-80360734/

You mean this from Ikea? still listed on the web sight?

I have two of these integrated with billy bookcases at the back of the room, also serves as diffusion but probably in the wrong place in my room.

Edit: the shelves are also height adjustable if you have blu-rays or what not.

Hope this helps.

The shelves I had were these wider ones. Held about 600 CDs each. 

BB059232-A4E8-4E23-BDFB-50222FB1A96F.jpeg

1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

I'm using a solution that sits somewhere in between shelving and wallets.

When I started to run out of room in my Blackline CD drawers, which are no longer available, I got half a dozen of these Snap-N-Store Double CD Boxes that sit on two shelves in a large bookcase (bookcase needs to be deep enough):

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Double-Storage-Black-SNS01658/dp/B001B0APOO?ref_=ast_sto_dp

They hold standard or slimline CD cases, but to expand the capacity I also got some packs of double-sided CD sleeves with index inserts.  I found some which have pockets large enough to accommodate the CD on one side and the booklet & rear insert on the other.

Something like this:

https://www.nierle.com/en/article/708376/Maxell_Sleeves,_Suitable_for_240_CD-DVD-Blu-ray_Double-sided,_With_240_Index_Cards,_120-pack,_Transparent.html

The ones with the index insert on the same side as the CD pocket opening are suitable.

or this:

https://www.amazon.com.au/120-Logic-CDS-120-Capacity-ProSleeve/dp/B000JJSQ58

You do need to fold over the edge sections of the rear insert so that it will not protrude too far out of the pocket.  Other than that they fit OK.

I tore an edge section off each rear insert and put it in the index insert.

The CDs that get played regularly are still in the Blackline CD drawers.

The lesser-played CDs and some special categories are in the Snap-N-Store boxes.

That looks quite neat. Thanks for the links 

If you’re still looking, Wilkins & Kent in Fitzroy have been doing exactly that sort of thing since at least the 90s. 

http://wilkinsandkent.com/cd-and-dvd-cabinets/

not ikea-cheap but not super expensive and very well made. Encel, where I worked, were resellers for a while and they made them sized-to-order for us.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 2:57 PM, GeoffRoberts said:

I've thrown away CD covers and used CD wallets on a couple of occasions when I've moved countries - but always regretted not saving the CD cases. 

I would recommend finding a suitable CD shelf (the one from the amazon link looked like good value), unless you have plans in the future to rip all your CD to digital files and play the digital music. If that's the case, it might be worth getting CD wallets and saving space.

I would never throw away the CD cases - I had to replace several of mine due to being cracked when I purchased them second hand and it was hard to find good quality CD cases - the ones from Office Works are flimsy and awful. You used to be able to buy decent ones everywhere but no more.............so if you decide you want to put them back in to CD cases you may find it hard to source them in the future?

• Like 4

The CD jewel case is one of the worst, most impractical, fragile, over-complicated, flawed pieces of industrial design to ever make it into mass production. I hate them with a passion and I think it’s criminally stupid that the manufacturers didn’t just model the CD packaging on vinyl packaging and put everything in digi-pacs from the beginning. 

i don’t know how that helps your cause but I had to get it out. End of rant :D 

• Like 3