CD Storage Options

17 hours ago, RankStranger said:

If you’re still looking, Wilkins & Kent in Fitzroy have been doing exactly that sort of thing since at least the 90s. 

http://wilkinsandkent.com/cd-and-dvd-cabinets/

not ikea-cheap but not super expensive and very well made. Encel, where I worked, were resellers for a while and they made them sized-to-order for us.

They look nice but at those prices the storage would be more valuable than the cds you put in them these days. $1200 to hold 600 cds?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RankStranger said:

The CD jewel case is one of the worst, most impractical, fragile, over-complicated, flawed pieces of industrial design to ever make it into mass production. I hate them with a passion and I think it’s criminally stupid that the manufacturers didn’t just model the CD packaging on vinyl packaging and put everything in digi-pacs from the beginning. 

i don’t know how that helps your cause but I had to get it out. End of rant :D 

Actually I hate Digi Packs - CDs can get scuffed sliding them in and out (especially if tight) & I really hate the ones where the CD sits in the slots in the glued in tray in the digi pack - once one of the teeth get broken (easy to do) they CD does not stay inside, and you cannot replace it because it is the artwork itself. At least with the cases we could replace them and keep everything in tact.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

They look nice but at those prices the storage would be more valuable than the cds you put in them these days. $1200 to hold 600 cds?

Same can be said for anything - what about people spending hundreds or thousands on wardrobe storage or walk in robes to hang their $5 T-Shirts?

I have no problem spending money if it suits the purpose, to make it easy to use and be organised and enhances the look of the room & my home. But I do understand what you are saying.............one does have to weigh it up.

But I am female and if I prefer the look of something I will always pay more if I prefer it over the cheaper one because I have to look at it everyday and I am fussy ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4

My collection of silver discs is now in excess of 3000, edging closer to the 4000 mark, and storage has become something of a problem (I guess that is what happens after 35 years!).

That number also includes DVDs and Blu-Rays by the way. The storage of those is not too much of a problem. All the music related DVDs and Blu-Rays are stored in a pine bookcase which I bought and stained myself some years ago, stored in alphabetical order of artist and in chronological order within that. The non-music discs are stored in a couple of flat pack self-assemble storage racks I bought from somewhere. I still have some spare room in each of those storage units.

With CDs I started out in a similar way. Initially bought a pine bookcase after carefully measuring shelf spacing, and added extra shelves myself to double the capacity, then stained and varnished. When I filled that, I went to a shop in Unley who custom made another pine bookcase style unit with CD shelf spacing, which I also stained and varnished.

I store the CDs in order of genre (my choice of genres is fairly personal and broad, would mean very little to most people, but it works for me). Within each 'genre' the CDs are in order of artist, then chronological (year released).

Each of the cabinets I've used were relatively inexpensive, all things considered. Most I paid was around $350 for the one I had made.

Well, that worked quite well for some time, but of course I filled up that storage, and now I also have stacks of CDs sitting on the floor. Have made some attempt to put those in some sort of order, but is only marginally successful.

I had intended to get a couple more bookshelf style storage units to go in the hallway (which is quite wide), but that has been put on hold for a while. My house has more recently become fairly cluttered with boxes of stuff containing my mother's things (papers, photos, clothes etc) that I rescued from a storage unit after she went into aged care, so I am pretty much running out of space. Will need to sit down and go through all that stuff so I can make some space, but that will take quite a long time.

Meanwhile the piles of discs keep on growing.

At least I have them all catalogued in a spreadsheet.

As far as CD cases go, I don't mind the Digi Pack type too much, although they are a bit of pain if they break. The ones I don't like are the cardboard slip covers, especially the ones where you have to slide the disc out from the centre of the pack. They can be almost impossible to get out without bending and damaging the cheap and nasty cardboard covers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, emesbee said:

As far as CD cases go, I don't mind the Digi Pack type too much, although they are a bit of pain if they break. The ones I don't like are the cardboard slip covers, especially the ones where you have to slide the disc out from the centre of the pack. They can be almost impossible to get out without bending and damaging the cheap and nasty cardboard covers.

Totally agree, those are the biggest pain in the ? I detest them. Jewel Cases will always be my preferred though, because you can replace the whole case or just the toothy insert and they just sit nicer on the shelf. Some of the Digi Packs are of varying sizes now too (particularly the so called deluxe sets).

But guess that is getting off topic now ...............

I have a number of CDs  and I have brought storage boxes from Ikea (the snap together ones) and just have the CDs in those in a cupboard in alphabetical order as I seem to play mostly vinyl at the moment............

Years ago I got fed up with the storage issue and donated nearly all my CDs (except for my Prince & Madonna ones) to a charity shop after I ripped them in to iTunes - but regretted that  so brought them all back again...................(at least cheap on eBay). LOL

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

I probably should cull some of my collection, but I would still have a storage problem. If I did have any Prince or Madonna CDs they would be the first to go, maybe donate to April Snow. :)  I'm not sure what most people would think of my music collection though (they would have to like Irish and Scottish music a lot).

• Haha 1

IMG_3922.thumb.jpg.009932d4a3add41aeee9227451dfdeda.jpg

I had 2 of these made by the local "Men's Shed".  Made from real wood, stained and 'Estapol-ed'

Too cheap so gave them a donation as well.

[They are not trapezoidal; that's just my camera skills.]

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, emesbee said:

they would have to like Irish and Scottish music a lot

You may not be alone on this island, Mr. Crusoe.

I inhabit a space between Celtic, Prog, Folk rock and New Age.

[Yeah, OT, sorry]

Edited by aechmea
  • Like 1

Hooray for the rainbow of opinions! Even your wrong ones ?

i ripped all my CDs years ago and they just sit in some boxes in the shed, gathering dust and annoying my wife. The best thing about digipacks is that they fill the spaces in the box that aren’t perfectly square ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I get the appeal of having physical things but I can’t stress enough how liberating it is to have all that stuff be able to fit on a hard drive the size of your hand (or a nas the size of a toaster)

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Hooray for the rainbow of opinions! Even your wrong ones ?

i ripped all my CDs years ago and they just sit in some boxes in the shed, gathering dust and annoying my wife. The best thing about digipacks is that they fill the spaces in the box that aren’t perfectly square ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I get the appeal of having physical things but I can’t stress enough how liberating it is to have all that stuff be able to fit on a hard drive the size of your hand (or a nas the size of a toaster)

Yep that is exactly what I did about 5 years ago, all ripped on to hard drives (they still are backed up there) and then I streamed them to my system - but then I realised they still sounded better (for me anyway) as a physical CD. So I ended up buying most of them back again.............. ( so I been there done that).

I felt liberated with the space but it just did not sound the same to me to be honest.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Yep that is exactly what I did about 5 years ago, all ripped on to hard drives (they still are backed up there) and then I streamed them to my system - but then I realised they still sounded better (for me anyway) as a physical CD. So I ended up buying most of them back again.............. ( so I been there done that).

I felt liberated with the space but it just did not sound the same to me to be honest.

Happily, I got rid of my CD player at the same time as my CDs so I don’t have that problem ☺️

EDIT Seriously, though. If my CD player sounded better than my streamer, I’d just get a better streamer. That’s how much I hate jewel cases ?

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 3

On 15/01/2021 at 6:48 PM, GeoffRoberts said:

The shelves I had were these wider ones. Held about 600 CDs each. 

BB059232-A4E8-4E23-BDFB-50222FB1A96F.jpeg

Does anyone know where to buy, or any chance of finding these narrower cd shelving nowadays (holding 600 CDs), without having to custom build?

Prefer these than the 1m wide ones (holding 1100 CDs) on Amazon AU, as I am actually struggling to find a free wide wall.  

Also wonder if these type of tall-ish shelves is safe from tip-over? As I don’t want to drill into the wall behind for stability.

thanks

• 2 months later...

A few months down the track, and the problem is mostly solved. My wife found these plastic boxes in Big W that are perfectly sized for CDs. We’ve loaded two side boards and the boxes are easy to slide out and look through. There are still more CDs to find a home for, but at least a reasonable number are out of sight, and easily accessible. 

Next step is to put them in some kind of order! 

3D6EDED2-5793-44EE-BE34-005D05B0ADDD.jpeg

B390C820-36FC-4F05-A605-26F355AD5BFE.jpeg

BC9B629B-3FC3-47C0-9EFB-9878B1A01B5F.jpeg

• Like 3

Not a good pic and not as elegant as many shown here, but I have just been picking up various cd towers mostly from op shops when i see them, usallu between $4 and $10 each.

20210401_201343.jpg.5f206b8df8af013110c6b96eae324041.jpg

• Like 2

This is what I'm using at the moment, but I have many more CDs that won't fit in them now. Also I find that they need constant dusting due to the open nature of the racks.

These were all picked up from garage sales, hence the different sizes and colours, but for $12.00 for the dearest, and the cheapest was actually the larger one (far left), that I paid $5.00 for.

1250912831_CDracks.thumb.jpg.ed45f312c757abbb45846b6cbf126bd7.jpg

• Like 2

On 20/01/2021 at 2:48 PM, att23 said:

Does anyone know where to buy, or any chance of finding these narrower cd shelving nowadays (holding 600 CDs), without having to custom build?

Prefer these than the 1m wide ones (holding 1100 CDs) on Amazon AU, as I am actually struggling to find a free wide wall.  

Also wonder if these type of tall-ish shelves is safe from tip-over? As I don’t want to drill into the wall behind for stability.

thanks

As they err stand . they need to drilledto wall as the base plate isnt deep enough to be stable certainly not on carpet 

20 hours ago, GeoffRoberts said:

A few months down the track, and the problem is mostly solved. My wife found these plastic boxes in Big W that are perfectly sized for CDs. We’ve loaded two side boards and the boxes are easy to slide out and look through. There are still more CDs to find a home for, but at least a reasonable number are out of sight, and easily accessible. 

If the boxes are a solution then I suggest looking in your local $2 shop for 'boxsweden' baskets. They have a size 12x13x29cm which is a perfect fit for 20 CDs.  I  have about 3k CDs stored in them.

If you pack them right they can stack well and are easy to flick through to find your CD

IMG_5386.JPG

• Like 3

On 15/01/2021 at 2:57 PM, GeoffRoberts said:

I wonder if anyone has had success with throwing away the cases

Yes this lady did. Dual purpose sun reflectors and keeps the birds of the veggie patch.

https://www.gardensall.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/CD_suncatcher.jpg

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I bought a number of products from BOLTZ in the USA. Go online and check out their website. All metal......lots of Bolts..........very stable.........Looks well....... industrial. The cost of postage from the USA is the killer.

• 1 year later...
On 15/01/2021 at 5:13 PM, Ooogh said:

These Artiss look like the go and even available local Bunnings but too wide for my wall slot.

Will be looking at other ideas here but open to new suggestions.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 5:48 PM, att23 said:

thanks

Did you find anything?

The 1.02m wide Artiss are too wide for my space.

15 hours ago, att23 said:

@eman Not really. I stopped looking. 

you didn't like these ? https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/gnedby-shelving-unit-white-80360734/

only white available at my local and need to screw them to wall.

i could prob do with simple free-standing towers.  Don't look like they're stocked in shops any more.