Hi everyone

What would you recommend for a decent set of entry-level headphones? They'll need to be used in an office environment, so open-back is probably out. 

I'm thinking $200 but can flex a bit if needed. I'm a beginner in this space!

The AKG ones. K371 I think they are called.

Or for a bit of V shaped fun, a Beyer DT770 Pro on the used market.

• Like 1

An audio technica ATH m50x will be a good closed back within your budget. Slightly bass heavy, if you prefer that sort of sound. Alternatively, the ATH m40x is a more neutral sounding. I own the m40x and have heard the m50x extensively. I can easily recommend either of them based on your preferences. 

I don't get peoples fascination with the M40 and M50. Like a step up from the old ibuds maybe. But really isn't a well tuned headphone.

Have you heard them against much else?

Not trying to poo poo them, you like what you like, but I can't recommend them to people.

5 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I don't get peoples fascination with the M40 and M50. Like a step up from the old ibuds maybe. But really isn't a well tuned headphone.

Have you heard them against much else?

Not trying to poo poo them, you like what you like, but I can't recommend them to people.

I have owned the M40x for quite a few years now and would definitely recommend them for the money (around 125-150 AUD - can be had for less during a deal). They are a fairly neutral headphone for what you pay. They are also fairly easy to drive and do not really need a dedicated HP amplifier - though they do sound better with an amp. I also own the Focal Elegia, which are better, but I had to pay a lot more to get there.

In my opinion, the M40x is a good buy at their price - and sounded better (to my ears) than similarly priced HPs that I have heard from Sony, JBL, Senn, Beats Studio etc.  I also have VE Monk+ earbuds, which are good quality earbuds (and better than the ibuds), and the M40x sounds quite a bit better than the VE Monks.

I did add a caveat on the M50x that they tend to be bass heavy and may not be to everyone's tastes - still a good buy for a bass head on a budget 

The OP is looking for closed back recommendations at less than 200 AUD. Without getting into too much of a debate over the AT siblings, what would be your suggestions for new HPs in this price range other than the AKG and Bayer you mentioned?

Well it would be the AKG and Beyer. Not much else stands out, unless you start looking at patiently waiting for a used bargain.

Maybe check out the Beyerdynamic DT 770?

I haven't heard them personally, but they seem to get good reviews and Beyerdynamic is a reliable/trusted brand.

These

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/closed-back-headphones/products/shure-srh440-professional-studio-headphones

are the nicest closed I've heard in that price range. I prefered them to the M40 and 50's. I also have these

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/closed-back-headphones/products/ultrasone-signature-dxp-headphones

though I think the Shure's are probably nicer.

Edited by blakey72
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, this has given me some good starting points for my search. @blakey72, it wasn't clear from your post which headphones you were referring to? 

1 hour ago, MarkR_22 said:

Thanks everyone, this has given me some good starting points for my search. @blakey72, it wasn't clear from your post which headphones you were referring to? 

Sorry, the link didn't go in. Fixed now ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still like my V-Moda M100. RRP $359 but often on special and about $200 second hand. On the bassy side, but still very clear. Be sure to get the thicker sheepskin pads ($30). They sound good driven by an iPhone, and even better with a little USB DAC like a Dragonfly.

I'm not a fan of the M50, I found them quite muddy and lifeless. 

On 30/01/2021 at 5:21 PM, rand129678 said:

Great recommendation this one:

I just ordered these on the basis of Olive's measurements and comparisons as well as ASR's review and EQ settings, and their close adherence to the Harman Curve for under $200 delivered.

I recently replaced by Stax Lambda's with HiFiman HE400i (not 2020 version) for much the same money as the AKG371's .

The contemporary headphone hifi market is extraordinary value for money and sonic quality.

• Like 1