Active speakers to boost sound on TV

I'm just after some advice on buying active speakers.  I don't have a big budget for buying speakers or sound bars and my own research has lead me to believe that Edifiers would be good value. However I've just read that they make a hissing noise. I've chosen the r2000DB because it will link up to my old telly ok and they are within my budget. I'm just a beginner when it comes to this sort of stuff. I'm just looking for something to boost the sound on the telly when I listen to music DVD's . Surely there's something I can do without spending mega bucks and not too complicated. 

4 hours ago, Maurice Colley said:

I'm just after some advice on buying active speakers.  I don't have a big budget for buying speakers or sound bars and my own research has lead me to believe that Edifiers would be good value. However I've just read that they make a hissing noise. I've chosen the r2000DB because it will link up to my old telly ok and they are within my budget. I'm just a beginner when it comes to this sort of stuff. I'm just looking for something to boost the sound on the telly when I listen to music DVD's . Surely there's something I can do without spending mega bucks and not too complicated. 

Welcome Maurice.

Active speakers from the Pro Audio suppliers can offer really good value.

There are a few models on the linked webpage in the same price range as the Edifiers that might be worth looking into depending on what features you need.

Since your main purpose will be listening to music DVDs, don't look at anything less than a 5" woofer and decent sized cabinets.

https://www.storedj.com.au/studio-gear/studio-monitors/active-studio-monitors?SortProduct=PriceValue&PageProduct=1

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much "surprise tech" for the welcome and assistance.

I neglected to mention that my TV is very limited with it's audio out features, I attached a picture, in that it only has an SPDIF connection. and no RCA output unfortunately. The Edifier r2000DB is one of the few speakers that has the required ODT connection. I've only learned all this terminology following all the enquiries I've made.

To go to five inch speakers would increase the cost to a level which I can't afford. I wish I could because I understand your advice on the value of such speakers when it comes to listening to music DVDs.

I'll try and contact the people at the website you gave me and put my case to them. 

Again I thank you for putting me on to such a great website and your generous assistance.

Cheers.   

Sockets reverse of  TV.jpg

• Like 1

If I may add 2 things:

1) there's no optical interface in that pic. If you want to use optical into the Edifier, you may need a spdif to toslink converter of some description

2) often digital outputs from TV will be unaffected by their volume control, which will mean using the Edifier's remote for volume.

• Like 1

Suggest getting a used soundbar.  You will have access to the Classifieds after a few more posts. Soundbars are easy to set up and connect, ideal for a beginner. You do not have worry about getting adaptors, converters and will handle all the different sound formats.

And they will be a big improvement over your TV.

• Like 1

Thank you sakabatou. I only just found out about the optical to analogue converters which I will look at. There's a much wider range of speakers that I want using RCA cabling? 

I'm still looking for advice from somebody who may have experience with Edifier speakers and their 5" base unit.

I'm starting to think that I might be disappointed by the bass on any powered, active, monitor(?) speakers.  

• Like 1

I just purchased some Edifier R1700BT for my wife to use on the tv as an upgrade to the crap tv sound you get these days. They don't hiss. I use the analogue inputs though. Using bluetooth gives slightly worse sound quality. They are fantastic for $140. Had to turn the high frequency dial down to its lowest setting and the bass down slightly to get the sound I was after.

• Thanks 1

I've decided to buy the Edifier r2000DBs and they're on their way. They're purpose built for what I want, the revues are pretty good and so is the price. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted. I know I'll be tearing my hair out in setting them up. That's what I do! ?

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 11:48 AM, Maurice Colley said:

I've decided to buy the Edifier r2000DBs and they're on their way. They're purpose built for what I want, the revues are pretty good and so is the price. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted. I know I'll be tearing my hair out in setting them up. That's what I do! ?

I'm sure you'll manage the setup now that you've done the research, but if any issues, you now know where to come for assistance!

Happy listening.

Down the track you might want to keep any eye on the Stereonet classifieds for a compact Subwoofer to take it to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the speakers today and have already incurred a problem. The optical cable that Edifier supplied that plugs into the main speaker doesn't plug into the back of my TV. I attached a photo on the 15th of Jan showing the TV connections and I've attached  photo today of the Optical cable plug. It's bigger and square rather than round. Could it be anything to do with age of the TV or is an adapter required?

Any assistance would be great thanks.

IMG_0612.JPG

21 minutes ago, Maurice Colley said:

I received the speakers today and have already incurred a problem. The optical cable that Edifier supplied that plugs into the main speaker doesn't plug into the back of my TV. I attached a photo on the 15th of Jan showing the TV connections and I've attached  photo today of the Optical cable plug. It's bigger and square rather than round. Could it be anything to do with age of the TV or is an adapter required?

Any assistance would be great thanks.

IMG_0612.JPG

The incompatibility of your TV with an optical connection was noted by an earlier poster in this thread:

On 15/01/2021 at 11:00 AM, sakabatou said:

If I may add 2 things:

1) there's no optical interface in that pic. If you want to use optical into the Edifier, you may need a spdif to toslink converter of some description

2) often digital outputs from TV will be unaffected by their volume control, which will mean using the Edifier's remote for volume.

You will need a device similar to this one, which is capable of converting coaxial digital to optical/toslink digital.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Digital-Converter-Optical-Dolby-AC3-Amplifier/dp/B08B89D3T2/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=spdif+to+optical&qid=1611908228&sr=8-7

Alternatively... looking at the image of your TV, it would would be useful if we can confirm what the yellow 'AV OUT' connection is. I wonder if it is a 3.5mm analogue output, as this would enable the use of the supplied 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect your speakers.

Can you advise the brand and model of your TV, as this would help to clarity the outputs (or if you have the user manual, please consult this and let us know).

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this and get your speaker singing sweetly, one way or another! :)

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your encouraging advice sakabatou. I've been feeling a bit down in the doldrums thinking I was stuck with an impossible situation.

I thought that connecting my TV to the speakers via my SPDIF connection was the way to go on advice from Edifier who I also contacted prior to yourselves. I'm not familiar with a lot  of the technical terms and it was my understanding that SPDIF was optical (?)  and the cable supplied by Edifier to connect to the ODT input on the speakers could be used.    

My television is a TCL model L40D2700F.  I have the manual and I've attached a copy of what I think is the relevant information.  It doesn't make much sense to me I'm sorry. 

TCL TV manual (1).pdf

8 minutes ago, Maurice Colley said:

Thanks so much for your encouraging advice sakabatou. I've been feeling a bit down in the doldrums thinking I was stuck with an impossible situation.

I thought that connecting my TV to the speakers via my SPDIF connection was the way to go on advice from Edifier who I also contacted prior to yourselves. I'm not familiar with a lot  of the technical terms and it was my understanding that SPDIF was optical (?)  and the cable supplied by Edifier to connect to the ODT input on the speakers could be used.    

I can't take credit for @pete_mac's encouragement

His suggestion about checking the yellow socket is a good idea. If it is an anolog output, you will be able to use your TV's internal volume control instead of the Edifiers'

Optical (also called toslink in this format) and Coax both use the spdif protocol, but optical uses light and coax uses voltage to transmit it. Converters are usually fairly cheap

The manual is not that much help, as it is not model-specific, or maybe there was a revision

4 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

I can't take credit for @pete_mac's encouragement

His suggestion about checking the yellow socket is a good idea. If it is an anolog output, you will be able to use your TV's internal volume control instead of the Edifiers'

Optical (also called toslink in this format) and Coax both use the spdif protocol, but optical uses light and coax uses voltage to transmit it. Converters are usually fairly cheap

The manual is not that much help, as it is not model-specific, or maybe there was a revision

Thanks @sakabatou and yes, the info in the manual is not as clear as I would have liked due to not being model-specific.

I get a sneaking suspicion that the yellow connection is indeed a 3.5mm "TRRS" connection which provides for both 2 channel audio and also video output - like this kind of cable:  https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/1m-avencore-crystal-series-4-pole-trrs-35mm-to-3rca-composite-av-cable.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-jzew8rnM3VZ_gR3UrBd8LtyVsfw3BJRUMk9LfgV4PAzL3l9ad1UD-xoCIq8QAvD_BwE

@Maurice Colley I'd suggest inspecting the yellow connection a bit more closely if possible. If it does appear to be your 'typical' 3.5mm headphone socket, connect the RCA inputs on the Edifiers to the TV with the suppled 3.5mm to RCA cable and see if you have any luck.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, sorry about the mix up.

I've checked and Edifier supplied two lots of RCA cable. One has 2x dual cables and the other is a 3.5 single (black) and a dual. They don't give much information in these manuals and I presume  the black one takes the place of two? . I've attached a picture.

I have plugged it into the yellow connection as you suggested on the TV and it seems to fit quite well, fingers crossed. 

You asked me to see if I have any luck? I guess that means I plug everything  in, turn it on and see what happens? I presume? ??  

DSC_0002.JPG

27 minutes ago, Maurice Colley said:

Thanks Pete, sorry about the mix up.

I've checked and Edifier supplied two lots of RCA cable. One has 2x dual cables and the other is a 3.5 single (black) and a dual. They don't give much information in these manuals and I presume  the black one takes the place of two? . I've attached a picture.

I have plugged it into the yellow connection as you suggested on the TV and it seems to fit quite well, fingers crossed. 

You asked me to see if I have any luck? I guess that means I plug everything  in, turn it on and see what happens? I presume? ??  

DSC_0002.JPG

That should do it.  You may have to go into your TV settings to make sure the sound is going to AV Out or Headphone out. (other options would be TV Speakers or Digital Out).

Edit: looking at the manual it looks like there is no setting. Might have to turn the TV volume down to minimum so you don't have both playing at same time

Edited by chaddy
  • Like 1

No worries Maurice!

Yes, on the 3.5mm TRS connection, there's a left channel, right channel, and summed/joined ground connection which carries the same signal as the 2 x RCA connectors on the other end, but in a different form factor and connection type.

There's more info on TRS and TRRS connections here:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

The challenge will be whether or not the connector on the TV matches the wiring of your cable, as there can be variations as noted above. I've had no luck uncovering any info on the configuration of TV's 3.5mm socket.

If you have no luck and get no output, unplug the cable and we'll need to look at other options.

7 minutes ago, chaddy said:

That should do it.  You may have to go into your TV settings to make sure the sound is going to AV Out or Headphone out. (other options would be TV Speakers or Digital Out).

Good point!!

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

I've set up a couple of my kid's TVs this way. 3.5mm TRS headphone sockets to RCAs on Active Speakers. Dead easy for them to use and if the Active speakers  are Bluetooth enabled they can stream from their phones.

Thanks guys but I'm still scratching my head about all this. I don't do too much of this sort of stuff, I'm a baby boomer, what can I stay.

The way I look at I've got an AV out with a socket underneath on the back of the TV that we're not 100% sure will work (headphone socket?)  and that's the only thing I have to transfer sound to the speaker.   I can't test anything because I don't have anything on the TV to connect to the other RCA plugs on the back of the speaker? or do they all have to be connected to the TV ?  

Edifier R2000DB Speakers (1).jpg

Edited by Maurice Colley