Please help - What’s going on with my turntable.

Got a reading on the red cable (and inside of RCA) 

exactly nothing on the green. 

I’ve re soldered a few times now. 

B23F3219-D9ED-4D92-9676-94D01F4369A3.jpeg

Edited by JOH1975
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are lucky, it might need the cartridge tags re-soldered or replaced. If you are unlucky, you might need to have the arm rewired.

So a few hissy fits and lots of frustration and a bit of money I’ve fixed it.   it turners out to be the green connector pin was a bad / dry joint.    as part of the diagnosis I thoug

The later:  

11 hours ago, JOH1975 said:

You’re very kind but I am useless at this stuff. ...

im sorry I don’t know what -ve and +ve is?

Everyone is bad at soldering when they start.  It's a skill that develops with practice.  Again, don't be hard on yourself.

-ve and +ve

The wire connected to the centre of the RCA plug or socket is called the +ve in the circuit.  This wire carries the audio information that is processed by the equipment that you eventually hear. 

The left and right +ve circuits are kept separate in an audio system, because if they are connected you will then hear mono (the combined l+r channels), and not stereo.

The wire connected to the outer ring of an RCA connector is called the -ve in the circuit.  This is used to complete the circuit.  It is sometimes called the ground. 

In an audio system, sometimes the left and right -ves are connected by a component. 

If the -ve and +ve in a circuit are connected (eg. at a RCA connector), you will have a "short circuit".  This is bad, because it will prevent the electrics processing the signal and you won't hear anything in that channel.  It will have the same effect to the listener as if one of the wires has been cut. 

• Like 2

What do you know. The problem was the cable at the cartridge end. Managed to reattach that. Pretty finicky but I managed to get it to stick so now I have sound from both speakers at least. 

now I need to put my original cartridge back on and re align that and see what the results are like. 

fingers crossed it’s fixed. 

• Like 2

So a few hissy fits and lots of frustration and a bit of money I’ve fixed it.

it turners out to be the green connector pin was a bad / dry joint. 

as part of the diagnosis I thought it was my phono pre amp so I’ve got a new one of those but I’m happy enough with that. I like it better than the Vincent Pho 8. I bought the project one with the tubes. 

anyhow.  A huge thanks to everyone that chimed in to help me with this. I definitely could not have attempted this without your support and guidance. 

cheers to you all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!  Well done! 

These things are always frustrating to troubleshoot.  And don't forget Hofstadeter's Law: "It always takes longer than you think, even when you take into account Hofstadeter's Law" (something I need to remember more)!  Next time you will bring more knowledge and experience to the table (so to speak).  And the nice bonus is that you've upgraded your phono stage. 

Now enjoy some great records!

On 16/01/2021 at 10:51 PM, JOH1975 said:

Got a reading on the red cable (and inside of RCA) 

exactly nothing on the green. 

I’ve re soldered a few times now. 

B23F3219-D9ED-4D92-9676-94D01F4369A3.jpeg

What happened here?:

Untitled.png

there was a bit of a kink here so i stripped it back to see if it was broken.

I'll put some insulation tape around it before i put this back together...

• Like 1