MC Phono stage recommendations

So the upgrade bug has bitten. I'm thinking of swapping out my Rega Fono MC MK2 for something a bit more serious. I run Rega MC cartridges exclusively (Ania atm, Apheta 3 down the track).

Looking for a real taste of the high-end but at a more, erm, realistic cost.. so budget is around $1500 - $2600 and maybe a bit higher if something really compelling jumped out, or lower if S/H etc.

So what would you have on your shortlist? And why?

Cheers!

a used Goldnote PH-10 plus the external power supply. I've gone through few under $2000 phono from primare, ps Audio, DIY phono and the goldnote was the one that is a clear upgrade

Edited by mloutfie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Suggest you try an Australian made Dynavector P-75 Mk4 as your using a MC cartridge you can take advantage of the PE (current) mode.

https://www.dynavector.com.au/index-4-P75.html 

Enthusiastically  agree.

I have this one paired with a DV 20X2 cart, using the  PE mode and sonically it is a match made in audio heaven.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Suggest you try an Australian made Dynavector P-75 Mk4 as your using a MC cartridge you can take advantage of the PE (current) mode.

+10.   the new Mk4 is a clear step up in sound quality vs the previous models.   superb performance vs price makes this a bargin, and Aussie made.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Didn't realise the P-75 mk4 has current one. Might give that one a try. Been looking for a current mode phono but they are normally quite expensive

23 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Didn't realise the P-75 mk4 has current one. Might give that one a try. Been looking for a current mode phono but they are normally quite expensive

I thought the 'current mode' operation of the P-75 was for when you were using a DV LOMC cart - so not a Rega Ania/Apheta?

Andy

1 hour ago, andyr said:

I thought the 'current mode' operation of the P-75 was for when you were using a DV LOMC cart - so not a Rega Ania/Apheta?

Andy

Bit disingenuous to provide false information when you are often prmoting your own product on the forum, dont you think.

22 minutes ago, 12ax7b said:

Bit disingenuous to provide false information when you are often prmoting your own product on the forum, dont you think.

You are very welcome to assume whatever you like, cuz.  xD

As I said - "I thought"; I'll be delighted if you can show me proof that the P-75's "current mode" works for any LOMC.  Then I will have learnt something.  :)

Andy

Lots of interesting options being posted, appreciate all your input! 

Re the Rega Aria MK3, I had considered that as a logical upgrade but I've had issues with hum/noise with the Fono MC. Many of the options seem to use an outboard power supply so assume that would mitigate any potential for noise?

Graham Slee and Manley added to the growing list (Although the Chinook is 4.5K ? )

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John0001 said:

Graham Slee and Manley added to the growing list (Although the Chinook is 4.5K ? )

But not the Dyn P-75 Mk IV?  The "current mode" it offers - to just about any LOMC, it seems - removes the need to apply correct loading to the cart ... which is required in a normal "voltage mode" phono stage.  Which makes life much simpler!  :thumb:

Yes, the Chinook is in another price bracket, entirely.

Andy

Edit:  I would go the P-75 Mk IV over almost any G Slee phono stage (because of a. the current mode it offers and b. it's v4 - so a refinement of a long-standing circuit!  :)).

But that's only my opinion - I'm sure there are others here that will disagree with me.  xD 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

I use the P75 in PE mode with a Benz Micro cartridge on my Sondek/Ekos (that has been highly modified since I left Linn) and it by far beats any of the other phono amps I have tried over the years.  Highly recommended.