MC Phono stage recommendations

So the upgrade bug has bitten. I'm thinking of swapping out my Rega Fono MC MK2 for something a bit more serious. I run Rega MC cartridges exclusively (Ania atm, Apheta 3 down the track).

Looking for a real taste of the high-end but at a more, erm, realistic cost.. so budget is around $1500 - $2600 and maybe a bit higher if something really compelling jumped out, or lower if S/H etc.

So what would you have on your shortlist? And why?

Cheers!

a used Goldnote PH-10 plus the external power supply. I've gone through few under $2000 phono from primare, ps Audio, DIY phono and the goldnote was the one that is a clear upgrade

Edited by mloutfie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Suggest you try an Australian made Dynavector P-75 Mk4 as your using a MC cartridge you can take advantage of the PE (current) mode.

https://www.dynavector.com.au/index-4-P75.html 

Enthusiastically  agree.

I have this one paired with a DV 20X2 cart, using the  PE mode and sonically it is a match made in audio heaven.

• Like 1

No right or wrong answer and a million recommendations.

I'll shout out the Primare R35.

I would also seriously consider the OAD phono stage - Australian made and designed.

• Like 1

Must admit I'd never even heard of the Dynavector, the PE mode sounds intriguing! Thanks

14 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Suggest you try an Australian made Dynavector P-75 Mk4 as your using a MC cartridge you can take advantage of the PE (current) mode.

+10.   the new Mk4 is a clear step up in sound quality vs the previous models.   superb performance vs price makes this a bargin, and Aussie made.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, artaudio said:

Didn't realise the P-75 mk4 has current one. Might give that one a try. Been looking for a current mode phono but they are normally quite expensive

Primare R35 and OAD noted. Doesn't seem to be a lot of info around on the OAD that I can see.

23 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Didn't realise the P-75 mk4 has current one. Might give that one a try. Been looking for a current mode phono but they are normally quite expensive

I thought the 'current mode' operation of the P-75 was for when you were using a DV LOMC cart - so not a Rega Ania/Apheta?

Andy

@andyrits for any cartridge with internal.impedance less than 50. Ania is 10ohm. The in-ear.net reviewer actually uses p8 with ania

1 hour ago, andyr said:

I thought the 'current mode' operation of the P-75 was for when you were using a DV LOMC cart - so not a Rega Ania/Apheta?

Andy

Bit disingenuous to provide false information when you are often prmoting your own product on the forum, dont you think.

22 minutes ago, 12ax7b said:

Bit disingenuous to provide false information when you are often prmoting your own product on the forum, dont you think.

You are very welcome to assume whatever you like, cuz.  xD

As I said - "I thought"; I'll be delighted if you can show me proof that the P-75's "current mode" works for any LOMC.  Then I will have learnt something.  :)

Andy

2 hours ago, mloutfie said:

@andyrits for any cartridge with internal.impedance less than 50. Ania is 10ohm. The in-ear.net reviewer actually uses p8 with ania

Aah, thanks, Mahdie.  :thumb:  Nice to know.

Andy

Lots of interesting options being posted, appreciate all your input! 

Re the Rega Aria MK3, I had considered that as a logical upgrade but I've had issues with hum/noise with the Fono MC. Many of the options seem to use an outboard power supply so assume that would mitigate any potential for noise?

Graham Slee and Manley added to the growing list (Although the Chinook is 4.5K 😰 )

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, John0001 said:

Graham Slee and Manley added to the growing list (Although the Chinook is 4.5K 😰 )

But not the Dyn P-75 Mk IV?  The "current mode" it offers - to just about any LOMC, it seems - removes the need to apply correct loading to the cart ... which is required in a normal "voltage mode" phono stage.  Which makes life much simpler!  :thumb:

Yes, the Chinook is in another price bracket, entirely.

Andy

Edit:  I would go the P-75 Mk IV over almost any G Slee phono stage (because of a. the current mode it offers and b. it's v4 - so a refinement of a long-standing circuit!  :)).

But that's only my opinion - I'm sure there are others here that will disagree with me.  xD 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Yep the Dyn P-75 Mk IV is on there! Its actually quite inexpensive, which is a definite plus. 👍

• Like 1

I use the P75 in PE mode with a Benz Micro cartridge on my Sondek/Ekos (that has been highly modified since I left Linn) and it by far beats any of the other phono amps I have tried over the years.  Highly recommended.

I would recommend you look at a second hand Whest ps30r. They come up in Europe and the UK at around 1500. Whest phonos are well worth a look. 

• Like 2
On 13/01/2021 at 10:47 AM, John0001 said:

So the upgrade bug has bitten. I'm thinking of swapping out my Rega Fono MC MK2 for something a bit more serious. I run Rega MC cartridges exclusively (Ania atm, Apheta 3 down the track).

Looking for a real taste of the high-end but at a more, erm, realistic cost.. so budget is around $1500 - $2600 and maybe a bit higher if something really compelling jumped out, or lower if S/H etc.

So what would you have on your shortlist? And why?

Cheers!

Icon audio ps1.2 I think it’s around your budget and just provides such a balanced lovely sound that makes great recordings amazing and not so great recording still sound nice. Great balance between detail and musicality. I have one and love it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions of Whest and Icon Audio. Its amazing just how many different phono pre's are available with all sorts of design philosophies.

On 13/01/2021 at 4:59 PM, John0001 said:

Lots of interesting options being posted, appreciate all your input! 

Re the Rega Aria MK3, I had considered that as a logical upgrade but I've had issues with hum/noise with the Fono MC. Many of the options seem to use an outboard power supply so assume that would mitigate any potential for noise?

The P75 certainly reads well.

But you have nothing to lose by giving Keith a shout out for the Accession MC Phono.  It is a very decent piece of kit, I had one and then upgraded to a Brinkmann Edison (which is  approx 10 times the $$).

@cheekyboy

GSP Audio Accession MC Phono Preamp / Enigma PSU1 | Wyndham Audio

GSP Audio Accession MC Phono Preamp / PSU1 | Wyndham Audio

The Luxman and Modwright phonos would be worth a discussion as well.  I have the EQ500, it is fantastic.  There is a cheaper model which might be just outside your budget but the Luxmans are all well made

• Like 2

Hi @John0001

For my $0.02 input, The EAT E-GLO Petit Phono Stage. RRP $2500, but you can get for less with some haggling. I upgraded from a Pro-ject Tube Box DS and it seems to get a little more out of the record than the Pro-ject  did. 

Hybrid tube design with 12AX7 tubes
MM & MC capability
Precise RIAA equalisation
Adjustable impedance and capacitance
Subsonic filter switchable
Fully discrete circuitry
Advanced power supply
Aluminium casing with wooden side panels

361270093_EAT1.jpg.e6a94e0789bc3ae7e9d571f67aebf24f.jpg

206811865_EAT2.jpg.649bead11a19b56fc849f320da9f745a.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

I concur on the Primare route. Had the R32 which was great value under $1k in Australia (oddly about the same in UK Pound) and I hear the R35 is a step up again.

• Like 1