FS: Cerwin-Vega V154 subwoofers (x2)

Guest rmpfyf

Item Condition: Pristine
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Melbourne Eastern Burbs
State: VIC
Payment Method: Cash, Paypal
Reason for selling: NLR

Purchased from Mike Lenehan in 2018. Relisting and price dropped (a lot).

These are old school Cerwin-Vega items from before the company went bankrupt, was took over and had it's name put on many things. Accordingly, they're excellent subs - quite musical, moderate motor size, they're happy in a sealed ~120L box (which you could make smaller... that gives a total Q of around 0.55), 500WRMS max (wouldn't run as such). Cones are reputedly kevlar and hardwood pulp, they give a rather nice timbre. 

The Important Other doesn't like the traditional Cerwin-Vega! red surrounds, which I do, though she won this round. 

Data and T/S params below from my archives. PM me if interested. These can be couriered packed safe in a box on the proviso you'll use a service that insures their travel. 

You won't buy a better pair of 15's at this price. 

Single voice coil

Sensitivity (1W @ 1m) : 96 dB

Power Handling: (cont. unclipped power per EIA RS-426B) 500 WRMS

Frequency Response: 20 -500 Hz

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohm

Voice Coil Diameter: 3.0"

Mounting Diameter: 349.25 mm

Mounting Depth: 165.15 mm

fs: 23 Hz

Qts: 0.359

Qms: 4.42

Qes: 0.390

Vas: 181.2L

Xmax: +19.10 mm (seems 9.5mm of this is linear, Mike agrees)

Revc: 3.4 ohm

Le... don't have it

Volume Displacement: 7.36La

Vega.jpg.e0b45174c9efb4a5bdfc1abf55be37d3.jpg

Edited by rmpfyf

3 hours ago, HelloYellowVolvo said:

Oh how I dreamt of owning these as a teenager, rocking in my stock commo.

GLWTS, although, you wont need it.

These were the shiz back in the day.  They're still relevant - honestly a great driver. Shame CV doesn't makes 'em like this now.

@HelloYellowVolvo this got me smiling from a mate - https://oldschoolcaraudio.com.au/product/cerwin-vega-stroker-15in-subwoofer/

Yes, you can get original refurb'd Strokers!

Now all I need is an original Soundstream Tarantula to go with it, wind back 20 years, get another non-family car... but we've all grown up now :D 

I noted with some sadness recently that JB HiFi has exited car sound. I used to work there 20 or so years ago...

10 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

@HelloYellowVolvo this got me smiling from a mate - https://oldschoolcaraudio.com.au/product/cerwin-vega-stroker-15in-subwoofer/

Yes, you can get original refurb'd Strokers!

Now all I need is an original Soundstream Tarantula to go with it, wind back 20 years, get another non-family car... but we've all grown up now :D 

I noted with some sadness recently that JB HiFi has exited car sound. I used to work there 20 or so years ago...

Ahhh, Soundstream Tarantula's!?! Hook that into my veins!!!

No surprises regarding JB, do teenagers even own cars these days? Don't they ride share and use GoGet instead?

Maybe they do, maybe it's just me getting old.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

18 minutes ago, HelloYellowVolvo said:

Ahhh, Soundstream Tarantula's!?! Hook that into my veins!!!

No surprises regarding JB, do teenagers even own cars these days? Don't they ride share and use GoGet instead?

Maybe they do, maybe it's just me getting old.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Memory lane is best, mate. Those were great days. 

JB wasn't a surprise though I remember up to ~2003 I'd be working car sound on Friday through Sunday and it was amazing fun. The store I worked at was off a highway, so the foot traffic was real, if you were stopping off the highway to get in you were likely to buy something. It was a great job for a uni student, commissions were decent, you couldn't be a p***k in selling crap or customers would hunt you down, do a great job and they'd come back with friends. I remember p*****g off my manager by getting two Kicker Solo Baric's into the store, boxed - the original L7's - he asked what these could do and that I'd better sell them or else. I bet him a week's wage that I could hit the resonant frequency of the JB HiFi sign atop the building and sell them and their box within a week. He took that bet - I won - and a half an hour later we had to evacuate the store :D 

Many more memories doing more serious builds than the likes of JB would ever reasonably support too.

Kids these days have no clue. Yes, transport as a service is convenient but that whole thing of buying a car and making it your own was special. 

(Get off my lawn, etc). 

2 minutes ago, Insaini said:

Hi All. These subs are still for sale. I was unable to go ahead with the purchase as something else came up. 

Thanks again Ric, and sorry for wasting your time.

No worries - this happens.

Still available, people!!

On 13/01/2021 at 10:53 AM, HelloYellowVolvo said:

Oh how I dreamt of owning these as a teenager, rocking in my stock commo.

GLWTS, although, you wont need it.

Me too....they were like the 'muscle car' of speakers. B)