Yamaha ns-690 repairs

So I've finally made room to set these up (they're my Dad's - original owner), and it seems that the one midrange is definitely not making any sound.

All my toys are packed away somewhere, so I've not had a multi-meter on it, but when I connect another speaker to the leads going to it (using aligator clips), that speaker does make sound...

Just as frustratingly, the other midrange, works, but was someone fell into it over the years - is there a safe-ish way to pull the dome back out?

Does anyone have any advice - is there a good place to get replacement parts, or upgrades?

mmm, and while I'm asking - I'm currently using an "old" NAD C715 CD/Receiver/Amp micro system to drive them - is there something that doesn't break the bank that would bring out the speakers better?

I'm guessing this will be a long running project - the level controllers crackle, and only work in some positions, and I presume the crossovers could do with updating.

Still, for speakers that were bought new when I was a baby, and then were what I grew up with after we came to Australia, they're really fun to listen to.

PXL_20210112_031948542.jpg

PXL_20210112_031937984.jpg

PXL_20210112_033842303.jpg

PXL_20210112_033624183.jpg

Your choice is between obtaining secondhand  Yamaha  dome  midrange units  or having the originals repaired. I would suggest the latter course as there is always a risk with used items and they are usually  not cheap to purchase.  You may have to send the  faulty speakers to Melbourne  .

I would suggest contacting  Garry Cawsey or Attilla Tanka.  From past experience, the cause of the midrange speaker going open circuit is caused by   the lead out flat tinsel wire from the voice coil  becoming fatigued. This is delicate repair  work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've started with the "easy" and risky option of buying a driver from ebay - and yup, it works. Between work and the kids starting school, it looks like I'll just enjoy what I have for a bit, and then see how much I want to poke things - now to figure out what other bits I have in the back of the cupboard :)