Recent purchase of TD160 Mk 2. Turntable appears to sonically isolate extremely well. However, platter will jump around - bouncing the stylus - with tiny inputs to very heavy and solid base it is sitting on. I am aware the super version had damping on this (I understand). I am wondering if this is considered normal or whether springs are overly ‘sloppy’

The Super version had under body deadening material on the sub chassis.

The foam inserts are the damping medium.

The suspension is for isolating the platter and arm so that feedback is eliminated.

It is not there so that a record can be played on a trampoline whilst the children bounce on it.

Ideally the suspension should never bounce.

On 11/01/2021 at 6:32 PM, Marcusperth said:

Recent purchase of TD160 Mk 2. Turntable appears to sonically isolate extremely well. However, platter will jump around - bouncing the stylus - with tiny inputs to very heavy and solid base it is sitting on. I am aware the super version had damping on this (I understand). I am wondering if this is considered normal or whether springs are overly ‘sloppy’

It is entirely normal. The springs provide excellent acoustic isolation but the suspended design is vulnerable to footfall issues.

Yep, sadly suspended turntables and floorboards on joists are not a good combination. Best bet in this situation is to wall mount it

• Like 1

Just now, Grizzly said:

Yep, sadly suspended turntables and floorboards on joists are not a good combination. Best bet in this situation is to wall mount it

Agree 100%, one of the best improvements I've made fitting a wall shelf.

It tightens up the sound, without coloration from footfall and vibrations from the speakers- especially with sprung Thorens and Linn turntables I have had. 

The Rega or Project  brands are pretty good for the money. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 11:27 PM, Marcusperth said:

Following on - how often is it necessary to lubricate the bearings on the Thorens?

Probably about every 10 years or lets get conservative every 5 years.

I just had a look at my 150 and the oil looked perfect after about 10 years.

The spindle is so large the bearing could only wear from contaminants and the TT would have to be in a very harsh environment for that to happen.

I use 0/40 viscosity motor oil.

There is nothing in motor oil which could "harm" a brass bearing.

When you do it shine a light down the hole and see if there is crud in the bottom.

There shouldn't be. Also visually inspect the thrust plate apparently they can wear but I have never experienced it.