New acquisitions - Sansui separates and Harman Kardon Citation 17s Preamp and 19 Power Amp

Hi everyone 

I haven’t had a chance to power these on yet but scored these on the weekend:

- Harman Kardon Citation 17s Preamp

- Harman Kardon Citation  19 Power amplifier 

AND

Sansui:

- AU 217 Integrated Amp

- TU 217 Tuner

- SC 1110 Cassette 

- SP L150 Speakers

These were purchased from the original owner, who bought them new in 1978.

It’s nice to know there are still good HiFi components to be found ‘in the wild’, without paying stupid money
Note - I wasn't familiar with anything other than the AU 217 prior to sale (Currently, searching the web for service manuals etc).  

I plan to clean pots/switches and attend to the dented tweeter dust cap (and delete gumtree/FB Marketplace accounts haha)

Thanks for reading - will add some info after I've had a listen 👍

image.thumb.png.b50efcad757ed4d60e943de70cda26e9.png

image.png.ee43422f10a5e293e03e73817b4f4842.png

image.png.804768af528b6a74b059949c30c2ebe2.png

Edited by Andrewavich
Two posts merged to one
  • Like 4

Still haven’t had a chance to listen, but I opened the HK Power Amplifier to clean dust and it’s had a recap in 1999 (Date and initials in pencil inside)

The brackets are covering the values but they are Trobo capacitors.

Is it likely this would have been an upgrade? (or a repair?)

There’s also a hole underneath them, and a cover plate mounted on standoffs (Extra clearance?)

Thanks

49126E1D-8D20-4BA8-BA17-A2FC8E27589A.thumb.jpeg.444fb6ba052e8ac3fd4a0cd71a76502f.jpeg3A003A1C-3042-48F5-94EC-D0CBB02B68FB.thumb.jpeg.26d3d6d7187be85f03a5da07a108d027.jpeg

Edited by Andrewavich
Content merged
  • Like 1

• Andrewavich changed the title to New acquisitions - Sansui separates and Harman Kardon Citation 17s Preamp and 19 Power Amp
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2021 at 1:42 PM, Jventer said:

Interesting to hear your view?

By the way - there is a Citation amp for sale on Audiogon

Wowsers - that HK gear on Audiogon is pricey. 

The Citation 19 power amp sounds fantastic. I hooked it up to my Dali 4a speakers, and also the Sansui SP L150.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms was an experience!

Unfortunately, the Citation 17s preamp is only coming out the left channel, so that’ll be on the bench next weekend.

Extremely pleased with the gear overall 😊👍

Edited by Andrewavich
Typo
  • Like 3

Congrats on the Sansui gear - I saw that ad but was too late in responding. You scored an absolute bargain right there. The SP-L150 really piqued my interest.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Congrats on the Sansui gear - I saw that ad but was too late in responding. You scored an absolute bargain right there. The SP-L150 really piqued my interest.

Thanks, I was very fortunate indeed.

The SP-L150 have enormous cabinets, and look the part. However, the warmer overall sound was perhaps a negative, depending on preferences.
Is this the ‘Sansui sound’ people seem to love or hate?

In comparison with a pair of Dali 4a

(both Dali and Sansui were new to me and conveniently co-located in the garage), 

the SP-L150s are a fun listen, but the 10-year-younger Dali’s (with their Vifa drivers) were much more realistic sounding (I’m not great at describing speakers).

At some point, I’ll try to capture the SP-L150s frequency response with a USB mic I have.

Cheers

FYI - My preferred day-to-day speakers are Scandyna (Dynaco) A25 👍

Sansui were famous for their Amps, Tuners/Receivers and the higher end TT's, not for their speakers or cassette decks ect'.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Andrewavich said:

Thanks, I was very fortunate indeed.

The SP-L150 have enormous cabinets, and look the part. However, the warmer overall sound was perhaps a negative, depending on preferences.
Is this the ‘Sansui sound’ people seem to love or hate?

To be honest, Sansui's older speakers aren't fantastic in my experience. The "Sansui Sound" applies moreso to their amps and receivers and tuners etc.

I was more intrigued by the SP-L150s due to rumoured similarities and/or ties to JBL.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

I was more intrigued by the SP-L150s due to rumoured similarities and/or ties to JBL.

Look like JBL's to me.

Funny too, Harmon was the importer of HK and JBL back in the late 70's and into the 80's. I used to sell them. They were in North Ryde near Macquarie Centre.