Advice regarding the value of vintage hifi gear (Garrard/SME; Nakamichi; TEAC)

Hi guys,

Please be gentle with me! I'm unsure as to where to post this, as I'm seeking some advice as to the value of some 70's/80's hifi components that my father-in-law has asked me to help him sell.

EDIT - I'VE DONE A DEAL WITH MY FATHER-IN-LAW AND THE GEAR IS NOW OFFICIALLY MINE

I've searched that auction site, Gumtree and a number of forums' sales areas. The values vary a lot, and several of the components I can only find very limited listings for.

I have heaps of photos, videos, etc. I inspected each component yesterday to see how they worked, however I'm no expert.

The items cost quite a lot of money originally, and the deck and tonearm in particular seem to be highly sought-after.

Thankyou in advance!

Edited by rps01
updating title

Online prices can be unreliable, as some people have an inflated value of their items, and other advertisers will often ask ridiculously high prices in the hope someone will buy without doing their homework. 

List the items here, pref. with pics, and you will be able to expect some honest assessments from SNA members in the replies. 

• Like 1

thanks guys. I've created 3 different folders in Google Drive.

Should I create a new topic in the General Discussion forum, with the brand names in the title, to make it more click-worthy?? (Garrard/SME, Nakamichi, and TEAC)

12 minutes ago, rps01 said:

thanks guys. I've created 3 different folders in Google Drive.

Should I create a new topic in the General Discussion forum, with the brand names in the title, to make it more click-worthy?? (Garrard/SME, Nakamichi, and TEAC)

I'd just add the links to this thread - I reckon your current title will attract plenty of attention, and it avoids cluttering the forum with multiple threads. :)

• Like 2

And a general comment on value from your title: "Garrard/SME; Nakamichi; TEAC"

SME arms are generally valuable and collectable.  Some cartridges can also be very valuable and collectable, others not-so; a worn styli will decrease the value. 

Garrard turntables can be valuable (eg. 301, 401) while others are less valuable. 

Nakamichi can hold value, but depends on the item - their range was generally very good, but they did drop towards consumer level for some items. 

TEAC made some good quality equipment (some which holds value) and also a lot of consumer rubbish. 

• Like 1

OK here we go!

I'll do my best to honestly and accurately describe (in my layman's terms) each item.

No need to explain what each item is, as you guys know far more than me about what they are.

Condition will be shown in the photos, and in my descriptions wherever I can.

Each will need a service of some kind.

I'd really appreciate your advice as to realistic market value. PM me if you'd prefer.

Following your input, I'll be listing them for sale on this forum's sales area.

I'd like to see these go to an enthusiast. I was considering buying the Garrard/SME for myself as a project, but I have another hobby that eats up my time and money!

Flippers and low-ballers will be politely replied to (I may not know much about vintage hifi, but I do have plenty of experience in buying and selling vintage watches - so I can smell a rat a mile away!)

Garrard 401 Turntable, with SME 3009 Series 2 tonearm with Shure M95ED cartridge (plus additional headshells and cartridges available):

• Condition as per photos. Some marks to the plinth (made in the UK. This comes from the original owner)
  • Comes with original Garrard instruction manual
  • Video shows playing at 33rpm
  • Mat now broken, as it was brittle and snapped when I removed it
  • Tonearm comes with original manuals, template manual, and warranty card (serial number 62527)
  • Shure cartridge fitted (M95ED)
  • Been in (dry and cool) storage for 15 years.
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jhfAc5wyx0iUfI-R3VbbI5ThFwyYxwUC?usp=sharing

• Extra SME headshell with Shure M95ED cartridge available
  • Lightweight headshell with MA 2002-e cartridge (no stylus) available, with original Micro-Acoustics manual
  • Shure M91ED cartridge available
  • Shure M75E Type 2 cartridge available

Nakamichi 581 Discrete Head Cassette Deck:

• Serial number (A302)07090
  • Condition as per photos
  • Videos show playing and fast forward. Rewinds fine too. Counter resets to 000
  • All lights up as it should
  • Eject button doesn't work
  • Original sales receipt from 22/8/1987
  • Full service receipt and paperwork from Nakamichi Australia from 18/1/1994
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OQyx86iqM9qyO0iqAOc9dNVfU22mCOQH?usp=sharing

TEAC A-3300SX Reel To Reel Tape Deck:

• Condition as per photos. Woodwork could use a little love
  • Comes with 10" Scotch spool, 3 Scotch tapes (10"), 7" spool and 8 Scotch tapes (7")
  • Serial number 237440
  • Purchased 3/1/1979 from a store in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong (which is still there!)
  • Original stamped warranty card, owners manual and schematics booklet
  • Not tested, as can't find the power cord (can get an adaptor from Jayco if potential buyers want a video of it working - if not, what'd be the $ difference between buying untested versus tested?)
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NNs7oQFn3UiEzOxUDMayqRer4C6Cc-1B?usp=sharing

Items are based in Sydney (pick-up from Northern Beaches)

I'm willing to ship within NSW or interstate, but would appreciate some advice as to how to pack and send delicate components like this, and what to charge.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Edited by rps01
updating description
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
13 minutes ago, rps01 said:

Flippers and low-ballers will be politely replied to (I may not know much about vintage hifi, but I do have plenty of experience in buying and selling vintage watches - so I can smell a rat a mile away!)

Good to hear, there are plenty of flippers here so be careful 

(by the way I'll take the lot $100 cash. Can collect this evening :) )

EDIT: just looking at some of those pics, a few of them have names and addresses on them, they are from a long time ago so may not be relevant now but it's probably not a good idea to have them visible on a public forum

Edited by sir sanders zingmore
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Good to hear, there are plenty of flippers here so be careful 

EDIT: just looking at some of those pics, a few of them have names and addresses on them, they are from a long time ago so may not be relevant now but it's probably not a good idea to have them visible on a public forum

$110 cash 

Edited by DEANO23
Made a mistake
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rps01 said:

OK here we go!

I'll do my best to honestly and accurately describe (in my layman's terms) each item.

No need to explain what each item is, as you guys know far more than me about what they are.

Condition will be shown in the photos, and in my descriptions wherever I can.

Each will need a service of some kind.

I'd really appreciate your advice as to realistic market value. PM me if you'd prefer.

Following your input, I'll be listing them for sale on this forum's sales area.

I'd like to see these go to an enthusiast. I was considering buying the Garrard/SME for myself as a project, but I have another hobby that eats up my time and money!

Garrard 401 Turntable, with SME 3009 Series 2 tonearm and Shure M95ED cartridge

• Condition as per photos. Some marks to the plinth (made in the UK apparently)
  • Video shows playing at 33rpm
  • Mat now broken, as it was brittle and snapped when I removed it
  • Tonearm comes with original manuals, template manual and warranty card (serial number 62527)
  • Shure cartridge fitted (no idea on condition, but have requested photos from my father-in law. Will update)
  • MAY have extra headshells (again, am waiting on reply from father-in-law. Will update).
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jhfAc5wyx0iUfI-R3VbbI5ThFwyYxwUC?usp=sharing

Nakamichi 821 Discrete Head Cassette Deck

• Serial number (A302)07090
  • Condition as per photos
  • Videos show playing and fast forward. Rewinds fine too. Counter resets to 000
  • All lights up as it should
  • Eject button doesn't work
  • Original sales receipt from 22/8/1987
  • Full service receipt and paperwork from Nakamichi Australia from 18/1/1994
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OQyx86iqM9qyO0iqAOc9dNVfU22mCOQH?usp=sharing

TEAC A-3300SX Reel To Reel Tape Deck

• Condition as per photos. Woodwork could use a little love
  • Comes with 10" Scotch spool, 3 Scotch tapes (10"), 7" spool and 8 Scotch tapes (7")
  • Serial number 237440
  • Purchased 3/1/1979 from a store in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong (which is still there!)
  • Original stamped warranty card, owners manual and schematics booklet
  • Not tested, as can't find the power cord (can get an adaptor from Jayco if potential buyers want a video of it working - if not, what'd be the $ difference between buying untested versus tested?)
  • LINK TO GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NNs7oQFn3UiEzOxUDMayqRer4C6Cc-1B?usp=sharing

Items are based in Sydney (pick-up from Northern Beaches)

I'm willing to ship within NSW or interstate, but would appreciate some advice as to how to pack and send delicate components like this, and what to charge.

Thanks in advance guys!!

That's beautiful gear, I'd keep it all :)

I friend who knows Garrards has valued it at $2500. There's a start. R2r's are coming back in vogue for some reason. The Naka $500-800?. Someone will chip in with a better valuation i'm sure. but there's a start.

• Thanks 1

I've just updated the listing, after having located (and added photos to the Google Drive folders) the following:

1. Original Garrard 401 instruction manual
  2. Additional SME headshell fitted with Shure M95ED cartridge
  3. MA2002-e cartridge (no stylus) fitted to lightweight headshell (with original Micro-Acoustics brochure/manual)
  4. Shure M91ED cartridge
  5. Shure M75E Type 2 cartridge

On 11/01/2021 at 4:19 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

Yep.... I've heard that before.

(I often dream of being bold enough to respond with: 'Oh thank God, can you come over quickly so I can get to my Meth dealer before he runs out of product?')

Hi Rps01 - this approach may help you:

For each item XXXX    type into Google search    FS stereonet XXXX            Eg:     FS stereonet Garrard 401 Turntable

You may be surprised just how many hits this turns up....  and its all info relevant to prices in Australia, and Stereonet buyers!!    Those old listings may also contain info on condition, pics, etc.

Good luck