Would better amplification solve congestion ?

45 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

Hi Andy ,I used a mini-dsp hd  on my subs and found learning to use REW well was difficult for me. 

Yes, you need a tutor!  :)  I've been using it on and off since Paul Spencer set up my subs 4+ years ago ... and I still learn things from others, all the time.  :o

Andy

3 hours ago, andyr said:

As Con replied ... that's a very limiting budget for 2 items.

Given you said this:

I would suggest you keep using the Magni and spend your money on just a phono stage.  $500 should just about get you quite a good one - such as the Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 (which seems to have adjustable cap loading for your MM cart).  And later on ... you can improve its SQ with a linear PS.  :)

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Yes I think I'll do that. Reviews indicate that the Rega Fono Mini A2D is quite good.

Would you recommend the ProJect Tube Box S2 over their Phono Box MM ?

Dennis

2 minutes ago, Berkel said:

Thanks Andy,

Yes I think I'll do that. Reviews indicate that the Rega Fono Mini A2D is quite good.

Yes it's cheap, Dennis - and very suitable if you are embarking on digitising your vinyl collection!  :)  But nowhere near as good facilities & sound as the ProJect Tube Box S2, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Berkel said:

Would you recommend the ProJect Tube Box S2 over their Phono Box MM ?

Yes I would ... but again - it costs more!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I'll keep a lookout for the Project Tube Box S2. There's also a Proton 1100 pre amp for sale on the bay for $210.

Looks like it has many features, but I'm unaware of its' quality. I had the feeling that Proton products were pretty ordinary .... but I could be wrong of course.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hi Andy,

I've returned to the Rotel pre amp and it IS better than the Schiit Magni, so I'll stick with it for the moment.

Both you and Ozcall feel that the class D power amp is holding back the music. What's your opinion of the old Hafler DH 200, or the ME 200 ? Both are for sale on Gumtree.

Thanks,

Dennis

14 minutes ago, Berkel said:

Hi Andy,

I've returned to the Rotel pre amp and it IS better than the Schiit Magni, so I'll stick with it for the moment.

But Dennis ... a few posts ago, you said that changing from the Rotel to the Magni "removed your congestion "!  So how come you have now moved back to your Rotel?

Both you and Ozcall feel that the class D power amp is holding back the music.

My view on your class D power amp is simply that, last year, when we substituted my Class AB AKSA 'Soraya' monoblocs (which have some pretty special power supplies) for the Class D ... we both heard an improvement.  So yes, it would appear that the Class D power amp is one of your bottlenecks.

@Ozcallhas some other suggestions, too.

What's your opinion of the old Hafler DH 200, or the ME 200 ? Both are for sale on Gumtree.

Sorry, have never heard either of them.  But ME amps have a reputation of being able to 'do' current well (ie. they cope well with low spkr impedances ... which is probably what your B&Ws have).

Andy

Edited by andyr

To refresh my " aural " memory. I also felt that the Magni was sounding a bit hard in the treble.

The Rotel has a so called Contour selector which can alter bass & treble, so is more versatile.

When set on -2 bass is increased which reduces treble hardness and boosts mid - lower bass, which is a big improvement for organ music.

Dennis

Both the  Hafler and the Adcom gfa555 , were good old reliable midrange power amps however both are very long in the tooth and would probably require a recap , rebias and general service to perfrom well and be reliable. Both amps have fairly decent power supplies in terms of current delivery , the Adcom more so. Both amps would be described as  lacking in smoothness or a bit edgy sounding. My recommendation would still be for a Rotel RB1080 as these are real power houses with a resonably balanced tonailty that will drive either the B&W's or some of the speakers we have discussed  easily. Some years back my system was an RC1070 , RB 1080 and Tannoy Saturn 8'S ,  This produced a big room filling sound with excellent tight  and power ful bass.

On 18/01/2021 at 3:42 PM, Berkel said:

There's also a Proton 1100 pre amp for sale on the bay for $210.

That Proton looks like an older NAD product, I think they are cousins that were made in the same factories sharing designs to some degree.

696427770_PROTONPre-Amp110001.thumb.JPG.dff848858bac8c7b9a05410cd24821dd.JPG

There appears to have been a complex relationship between the two brand names during this time.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian,

Yes, I'd heard there was some kind of relationship between these two firms.

I've returned to using the Rotel pre amp. The little Magni  was pretty good, but a bit clinical.

Rotel has more realism when it comes to the complexities and nuances of classical music.

Still trying to figure out whether to change speakers or amps. For the last hour or so, I've been listening to music in my study, which is at the other end of my unit to the hi fi. Sounds better than listening in the same room.

Cheers,

Dennis

See if you can get another member in Melbourne that owns a stereo coffee to call around for a mini GTG, and bring their SC so you can hear if one would be to your liking in ya' system.

13 minutes ago, Berkel said:

What's a " stereo coffee " ? 2 cups of coffee ..... ?

It's a LDR (Light Dependent Resistors) passive pre that uses Optocouplers instead of physical resistivity attenuation.

Comments on these things subjectively are very good, with increased transparency, a full sound and good dynamics.

Edited by muon*

3 hours ago, muon* said:

That Proton looks like an older NAD product, I think they are cousins that were made in the same factories sharing designs to some degree.

696427770_PROTONPre-Amp110001.thumb.JPG.dff848858bac8c7b9a05410cd24821dd.JPG

There appears to have been a complex relationship between the two brand names during this time.

Proton was a spin-off company with employees originally from NAD who got into a dispute with the running(?) direction(?) of the company and made their own. I owned some Proton gear in the 80s; very good value back then. Not sure how they'd stand up today.

On 22/01/2021 at 10:01 PM, Berkel said:

What's your opinion of the old Hafler DH 200,

I got my son the matching Hafler Pre power and a pair of Yamaha NS1000M's about 20 years ago and it was a fine combination.

• Volunteer
14 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Why not? A good preamp is very very important in a Hifi system.

Of course a good preamp is important. But as I read the OPs description of the problem it sounds to me that changing preamps (as important as they are), won’t fix the issue.  

My guess is that the solution will come from amplification or different speakers. 

@Berkel depending on where you are in Melbourne, I could bring a magtech amp over for you to listen to. I know it’s way out of your price range but it will tell you pretty quickly if you need a better amp. 

4 hours ago, Berkel said:

Thanks Ian,

Yes, I'd heard there was some kind of relationship between these two firms.

I've returned to using the Rotel pre amp. The little Magni  was pretty good, but a bit clinical.

Rotel has more realism when it comes to the complexities and nuances of classical music.

Still trying to figure out whether to change speakers or amps. For the last hour or so, I've been listening to music in my study, which is at the other end of my unit to the hi fi. Sounds better than listening in the same room.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hate to say this Dennis but you really need to change both the power amp and the speakers

I’ve got the CM5S1 too but they are on rear HT duties.  I’ve got a cheap option for you to try.  With the rear port have you tried putting the foam plugs in.  This should change it to a sealed box and the tuning frequency up to 76Hz.  Sort of a mechanical crossover and this will let the sub take most of the low duties.