1980's price list for Harbeth speakers

It's a strange request but I'm trying to find out what the retail prices were for Harbeth speakers in the 1980's, in particular the HL5's. Has anyone got a list, an old hifi magazine or just a good memory?

Cheers Mark

I've got HiFi News & Record Review going back to 84, apart from the smallest models Harbeth speakers, they were rarely reviewed by magazines, that's still pretty much the case today.

Reason given by Harbeth is that they would rather supply a customer with a pair of speakers than a reviewer.

I just did a quick Google search and found that the predecessor to the HL5, the HL4 MK4 cost £475 back in 1987, the HL5 cost £825 when released in 1989.

http://www.hifi-review.com/153621-harbeth-hl5.html

I'm guessing the price rise was due to no longer having the UK Gov't subsidy for research on the TPX cone material, which continues to this day .

Actually, if you ever have to replace one of these drivers [something I had to do on my SHL5's] Harbeth will ask you to quote the numbers on the driver, and if they don't have any in stock, they will make a batch to that spec, then supply you with one that matches.

Edited by Tweaky
On 09/01/2021 at 1:43 PM, Tweaky said:

I've got HiFi News & Record Review going back to 84, apart from the smallest models Harbeth speakers, they were rarely reviewed by magazines, that's still pretty much the case today.

Reason given by Harbeth is that they would rather supply a customer with a pair of speakers than a reviewer.

I just did a quick Google search and found that the predecessor to the HL5, the HL4 MK4 cost £475 back in 1987, the HL5 cost £825 when released in 1989.

http://www.hifi-review.com/153621-harbeth-hl5.html

I'm guessing the price rise was due to no longer having the UK Gov't subsidy for research on the TPX cone material, which continues to this day .

Actually, if you ever have to replace one of these drivers [something I had to do on my SHL5's] Harbeth will ask you to quote the numbers on the driver, and if they don't have any in stock, they will make a batch to that spec, then supply you with one that matches.

Thanks so much for that,  i did know about the drivers being tested, matched and recorded, that adds to the appeal (and cost). That was a big price rise between models!

Cheers Mark