Earl Weston Class A Valve Amplifier

Item Condition: Excellent with $400 tube upgrade
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Melbourne
State: VIC
Payment Method: Eft or Cash
Reason for selling: Consolidating

Further information:

On offer today is an amp from the artist Earl Weston from Weston Acoustics. His artisanal amplifiers need no introduction, however if one needs to dive in deeper there are many rave reviews at ones finger tips.  

The Topaz is a true ultralinear  class A amplifier.

It has a sweet musical sound which can be enjoyed for hours with no listerner fatigue at all.

This Topaz now runs KT 77 tubes  which cost north of 300.00 dollars, the rectifier tube was also upgraded. The tubes have ample life and have been used sparingly in a second system. The KT 77 made a huge improvement on the original 6CA7. 

It's said that with valve  amplifiers the transformers hold the magic. The transformers here are painstakingly hand wound by Earl himself. One can hear this as the mids are liqiud smooth, the bass tight, and highs clear. I guess the results speak for themselves. 

I've found this amp to hold its own against some of my other more expensive amps.

A great introduction to the magical world of hand crafted artisanal hifi.

There is a small mark on the rear. 

Please have a look at the photos. 

If any further information is required please send me a message.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
  • You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

20210108_165633.jpg

20210108_165706.jpg

20210108_165957.jpg

20210108_170025.jpg

20210108_170048.jpg

20210108_170101.jpg

Edited by Sonorlink
tube detail
  • Like 10

56 minutes ago, kefacurus said:

Hello,

what is the wattage of the amp and what will it drive?

There are many speakers it will drive. It might be more useful to say what you would like it to drive them people might offer useful advice. 

57 minutes ago, kefacurus said:

Hello,

Why not have a look at the manufacturers website here>>> Weston Acoustics

You'll see this is a Topaz 6CA7.

The Topaz 6CA7 is a stereo (two-channel) amplifier rated at over 30 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

What will it drive?  That's up to you the potential buyer to work out not the seller. Totally depends what speakers you want to use it with.

If your not sure what this tube amp can drive then send a PM to the OP and pick his brains or ask in a separate thread.

If this amp is possibly for you then work out what your speakers rating is, if your not sure then I reckon the OP and plenty here can help you but not in the actual FS thread.  

It's well priced as you'll see if you go to the above link.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, kefacurus said:

Hello,

As has been mentioned, this amp is around 30wpc (33 on the paperwork for mine, I think).

It's a bit deceptive as to what it will drive, but the gist is that if your speaker's impedance curve keeps between 6 and 10 ohms it will work just fine so long as your preferred listening levels/speaker sensitivity/room size are within what is mathematically possible with 33w.

I've been powering Dynaudio Special 40s in a medium small room with no issues, but you maaay want something more efficient if you like your music very, very loud.

Edited by twofires

• 2 weeks later...