My Bose Av18 media centre head unit is starting to die on me, but the speakers and subwoofer are still going strong. Are there any other bose or other company head units I can use to replace this with? 

Ideally I would like a receiver with hdmi and usb inputs for newer TV's and Bluetooth support would also be nice. 

The existing head unit outputs rca to the sub which then passes on the signal to 5 surround speakers. If I were to use another receiver with Rca outputs, would I lose surround sound to the rest of the speakers? Can I control bass volume with another receiver? 

This is the problem with proprietary systems like Bose ; they are designed to work together ; hence the sub does the bass management not the avr in all the models Ive ever seen .. 

You would be much better served with a standard avr with many more input switches and proper auto eq [ Bose doesnt even have that :$ ] I could list reasons why proper purpose designed for hifi speakers are better than "lifestyle" speakers but theres a lot 😏 

Have a look in the forum ads if you dont want new at the moment ..

• Like 1

If you are not ready to move away from Bose, you can buy a used AV18 unit. 

But if you want a better sounding option,  you need to replace everything.  Yes, it will be a more expensive exercise, but you can start intially with 2.1 setup and add more speakers later.  If you do not need the latest and greatest formats, you can pick up a bargain AVR in the Classifieds.  Similarly, you can get better sounding speakers in the Classifieds.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I would be leaning towards getting a new set up as the sound quality is only OK but my house already has the speakers mounted and the wires run behind the walls which makes it a pain to remove. 

Can I replace the head unit with a new bose unit? The av18 is pretty old

44 minutes ago, Flying_rhino said:

Best if you ask Bose that question. 

I also note you have posted on the Bose forum. The members there are more likely to know than people here...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Flying_rhino said:

Thanks for the replies. I would be leaning towards getting a new set up as the sound quality is only OK but my house already has the speakers mounted and the wires run behind the walls which makes it a pain to remove. 

Apart from the problem of your 18 not having hdmi which is necessary for the new lossless codecs [and everything being compatible - bose marketing at work ] ; Bose want to sell you a complete system like a lifestyle 600 . The alternative is equally exxy ; get a soundbar ;link it to a new sub bass module with all its avr bass management and ditch your old speakers for wireless new ones 

Bose Bass Module 700 | Bose

Ide consider  strongly other brands that also do wireless surrounds [ and remember Bose does not do dolby atmos or dts-x if you want to try uhd bluray or streaming in the future :) You wont get E-ARC or hdmi 2.1 features with Bose either -if your a gamer say or a network video streamer ..

• Like 2