Hi All, I am wanting to buy a secondhand OPPO BDP, I have so far found a OPPO 83 (needs some work/service), a OPPO 83SE, a OPPO 93AU and a OPPO 103, how I intend to use it is thus, obviously for DVD and BLURAY movies, I do have some 3D movies, so I am keen to try those out, I would also like to use it for audio/music playback as well, now, do they all play back Blu Ray Audio disc's ? HDCD playback is important as well, as is having a dedicated stereo analogue out, hello valve amp ! I understand that some of these models do not have a dedicated stereo out, but rather, it is in conjunction with the other analogue outputs for surround sound, is there a difference with two channel only with using either one ? how does the analogue connections compare to using the HDMI, Co-Axial and the Optical connections ? I currently have a 30 year old Sony STR 1070X, running with a pair of even older pair of Hitachi HS 323 stereo speakers from the early seventies, so, I have no surround setup at the moment but that will change, as I also wish to experience surround sound with music as well as with movies, so, since I have no real experience with any OPPO BDP, which one will suit with what I wish to achieve ? Thanks.

Hi Glen you can rule out the 83 and 83se as they dont handle commercial 3d frame packed [only side by side home cooked 3d]. 

On the other hand for 2ch purposes its the opposite ; the 83 se has the isolated 2ch outputs you want [ the 93 and 103 only use the 7.1 multichannel outs in a dual purpose role as you said] . It also has the superior sabre ess dacs and analogue stages rather than the ubiquitous cirrus logic dacs the others have .. and an uprated power supply. 

If you intend to keep your 2ch analogue isolated with that valve amp thats where the 83se comes in . If you want to upgrade your sony with a better pre pro/avr ; hdmi from an 103 will be fine-there are some nice newer dacs in the latest pre pro and avrs [and you will be able to playback audio files like flac unlike the older models ..

So its a matter of priorities ; if you can live with the multi dac the circuitry has improved over time - from oppofaq's 

The DAC is the same as the BDP-93, the Cirrus Logic CS4382A (8-ch, 24-bit, 192khz).

OPPO says:

There have however been some incremental improvements in circuit design that should improve on the audio some: a novel configuration of the DAC chip and a new analog buffer and filter stage following the DAC output.

• Like 1

How would you describe the differences in audio, two channel mode, between the analogue two channel with the 83se as opposed to the 93au's analogue two channel connection ? I mean, is there a difference, or is the dedicated two channel analogue section on the 83se a moot point in comparison ?

While I cant say for certain as that is subjective ; anecdotally the ones oppo went to work on have always been preferred for those with separate 2ch . Hence they released the 95 after the 93 ;the 105 after the 103 

New and exclusive to the BDP-83SE is an upgraded power-supply board and voltage regulation. It also features improved digital-to-analog conversion. While the original BDP-83 used a Cirrus Logic solution with a single DAC per channel, the BDP-83SE uses an eight-channel, 32-bit ESS Technology solution for the 7.1-channel analog outputs that it claims is superior. And it goes further still. It also uses a dedicated eight-channel ESS Technology DAC for the left- and right-channel analog outputs, which stacks four DACs on each channel. While this kind of configuration could theoretically support a full dual-differential output, the Oppo’s output is single-ended. Oppo claims an S/N increase of 7 decibels with the BDP-83SE—that’s 117 dB compared with the BDP-83’s 110 dB. This is where your $400 goes. To be crystal clear, aside from the improved power supply, the BDP-83SE’s aural improvements apply strictly to its analog outputs, and its two-channel analog outputs especially. 

Oppo BDP-83SE Special Edition Blu-ray Player Page 2 | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)

• 1 month later...

You can rip SACDs with an Oppo 103 or 105....... but not with any other model. Probably not an issue for you but just my 2 cent's worth!

• 2 weeks later...

No intentions for ripping any sacd’s, I do have the opportunity to buy a Oppo 83se and a Oppo 93au, I am still stuck on the difference, if any, between a dedicated two channel analogue board (83se) or using the stereo analogue that is part of the multi channel analogue board (93au)

As someone said, neither will do 3D.

Just letting my 2 cents worth,  optical disc players that are over a certain age will become money pits and parts will be harder to access especially the optical transport...   The best optical transports believe it or not current cheap Sony BLuray players...    Regardless of which model OPPO you go with, ensure you take some disc that are well scratched and see if they can read them that will passed on your current player.  This is more important than the sound difference inherited in each model.   If I were you I’d do what a lot of us have done here, rip all CD to a HDD and go computer audio.   I have the 105 and HDD hooked up.  You don’t need to play it via the analog of the 105, it had digital out so it’s downstream to an external dac. 

On 08/01/2021 at 1:10 PM, Digital Man said:

HDCD playback is important as well, as is having a dedicated stereo analogue out, hello valve amp !.

A lot of the oppo's can decode HDCD to lpcm but aside from this; if you can source a dac to use with the digital sp/dif outs you wont have to worry about older oppo's that are worn out as said :)  in this case get the 103 as this has the most codecs covered for play from a hdd or network B)

This digital route will also enable you to upgrade your old sony avr which needless to say will help with any multichannel tracks as I mentioned . When your dealing with analogue or a digital bitstream I like to leave the signal as digital for as long as possible - this avoids things like adc > dac conversions for bass management ; room eq and the like . Which is why most avrs dont have adcs on their analogue inputs ; signal manipulation requires the format to be in lpcm -nothing else 😉

This is one reason why ce's like Lyngdorf have very exxy complete digital systems for their top of the line - no conversions..  

I already rip my cd’s, but only some, as I only rip the ones that I play the most, compared to others, I don’t rip movies or tv shows though, I still like playing disc’s, especially for movies and tv shows, hence my need for a disc spinner.

And to add, I would like to buy a new Sony bdp, but with no analogue outputs, I just can’t do it, that is my main reason for looking at older machines, OPPO or Sony, I am not biased one way or the other, although the OPPO’s do and offer more than the Sony’s.

Hang on, I think that I have just had a realisation, does it mean that, any Blu Ray player that has hdmi only, has no Dac on board at all ? And if so, is it also true if the Blu Ray player also has digital outs ?

3 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hang on, I think that I have just had a realisation, does it mean that, any Blu Ray player that has hdmi only, has no Dac on board at all ? And if so, is it also true if the Blu Ray player also has digital outs ?

NO analog outs............NO DAC

4 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Which brings us to the oppo transport which being modular just has simple dacs for 2ch before modification so strictly has non transport capabilities  B)  very rare ..

Oppo BDT 101CI - new player from the Blu-ray experts (audiophile.no)

Edited by cwt

This changes everything, I had no idea that this was the case, okay, I have a Aries Mini, obviously I can use that in between a non analogue Blu Ray player and a two channel valve amp !

Before I do go ahead and buy a Sony bdp, can I actually use the Aries Mini as a Dac with the Sony bdp ? And, how will I be able to have/play SACD and DVD-A ? Also, I have no interest in 4K  and can the upscaling for movies be turned off ? 

You wont be able to play SACD from the Sony to the Aries Mini. There's only two ways to play SACD: HDMI out (Aries doesnt have HDMI in), or analogue out (which you say that ony doesnt have). (Its universal, a copyright protection measure.)

And if you want surround sound, the Aries only puts out two channels via its single pair of analog outputs.

For what its worth, surround sound can sure be fun with movies, but I find when listening to music in my home theatre setup I always prefer stereo, and turn off the surround channels.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Digital Man said:

Before I do go ahead and buy a Sony bdp, can I actually use the Aries Mini as a Dac with the Sony bdp ? And, how will I be able to have/play SACD and DVD-A ?

Aries Mini has the following inputs: Ethernet, Wifi and USB2 for external USB drive. It does not have a coax input so cannot cannot take  Sony BDP-S6700 (as an example) coax digital output. 

Only the higher models Sony e.g. BDP-S6700, UBP X700, can play SACDs.  output via HDMI only.  If using other digital outputs, can only output PCM. The same rules apply to Oppo players.

In other words, your proposed setup will not work for many reasons.

30 minutes ago, Mickstuh said:

For what its worth, surround sound can sure be fun with movies, but I find when listening to music in my home theatre setup I always prefer stereo, and turn off the surround channels.

While I prefer stereo music, I do listen to multi channel music.  It is different and can be very good with the right materials.  However, you need to be open minded in accepting music coming from the rear channels, as opposed to ambience (lots of classical fall into this category.

• Like 1

Yes the Aries is only a network streamer ; if you want to include it with a bd player there is one player I can think of offhand thats compatible  and thats the oppo bdp105 or d[darbee] model . Its got a sp dif rca input for the aries :) I would assume though it can only handle 2ch files from the aries via this not any multichannel flac unfortunately...

Just convert these and plug a hdd into the oppo 😉 You havent heard anything until you listen to Elvis belting out a multichannel 24/96 dvd-a of suspicious minds :$

Yes unlike many other brands the oppo's all have source direct so you play exactly whats on the disc . Oppo universals play most codecs  ;sony do not like dvd-a - its a competing format or at least was..

Some Sony Blu Ray players do play DVD-A, having said all of that, I don’t actually have any SACD or DVD-A disc’s, but I wouldn’t mind trying some, either multi channel or in stereo, so, if I have a SACD for example, either in stereo or multichannel, how do you achieve full resolution when playing from say, a Sony Blu Ray player into a seperate dac, which in turn will then be plugged into a stereo valve amp ?

34 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Some Sony Blu Ray players do play DVD-A, having said all of that, I don’t actually have any SACD or DVD-A disc’s, but I wouldn’t mind trying some, either multi channel or in stereo, so, if I have a SACD for example, either in stereo or multichannel, how do you achieve full resolution when playing from say, a Sony Blu Ray player into a seperate dac, which in turn will then be plugged into a stereo valve amp ?

If your feeding the dac digitally after you convert the dsd to lpcm in the player ;it depends on the player . Oppos when decoding put out 24/88.2 pcm [ they did tests and preferred this] but sonys [or some of them ]upsample dsd to 24/176 B|

If your sacd is multichannel and you dont want to downmix it to 2ch you need a sacd decoder like in an avr [ a dac that accepts straight dsd or accepts and then converts it to lpcm ]  ;otherwise the dac is 2ch only ..

Heres an example of the latest AKM dac that can accept a straight dsd feed ; multiple 2ch dacs can handle multichannel signals needless to say ..

AK4495SEQ | Audio D/A Converters | PRODUCTS | Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM)

Yes, hence my initial desire to purchase a secondhand OPPO, does anyone know what was Sony’s last Blu Ray player that had SACD playback with 3D playback , optical, coaxial, multi channel and separate two analogue connections ?

Hi Glen I have a oppo 93 nuforce ed. I  have tried it against my 95 both analog out ,there was hardly any difference between the 2 .

The 93 and 105 are for sale the 93 has extremely  low hours 200 hrs. I was going to use in second room but never happened.

I used usb hdd while my 105 was at oppo  being repaired about 3 weeks.

Peter

2 hours ago, Digital Man said:

does anyone know what was Sony’s last Blu Ray player that had SACD playback with 3D playback , optical, coaxial, multi channel and separate two analogue connections ?

Sony dont do universals with multi analogue rcas ; brands that have good experience with universals include pioneer ; brands that modify oppos like nuforce with uprated psu;s ; cambridge audio - but dont ever touch a lexicon :)

On 08/01/2021 at 1:10 PM, Digital Man said:

Hi All, I am wanting to buy a secondhand OPPO BDP, I have so far found a OPPO 83 (needs some work/service), a OPPO 83SE, a OPPO 93AU and a OPPO 103, how I intend to use it is thus, obviously for DVD and BLURAY movies, I do have some 3D movies, so I am keen to try those out, I would also like to use it for audio/music playback as well, now, do they all play back Blu Ray Audio disc's ? HDCD playback is important as well, as is having a dedicated stereo analogue out, hello valve amp ! I understand that some of these models do not have a dedicated stereo out, but rather, it is in conjunction with the other analogue outputs for surround sound, is there a difference with two channel only with using either one ? how does the analogue connections compare to using the HDMI, Co-Axial and the Optical connections ? I currently have a 30 year old Sony STR 1070X, running with a pair of even older pair of Hitachi HS 323 stereo speakers from the early seventies, so, I have no surround setup at the moment but that will change, as I also wish to experience surround sound with music as well as with movies, so, since I have no real experience with any OPPO BDP, which one will suit with what I wish to achieve ? Thanks.

Also have a look at the Cambridge Audio Universal BluRay Players.  They share some pedigree with the Oppos.

I've been really happy with my 751BD that does everything you list above and it does have a dedicated 2-channel analogue output.

• Like 1

I have a 205 and a 103.

I think of the ones you are looking at the 103 may be the only one with HDMI inputs which can be very useful. 

I don't use the analogue stereo output on either, despite reviews on the 205, one of Clay's DACs smash the Oppos which still get good reviews. 

I have a Konverter off the 205 and a Klein III off the 103. 

I only use the analogue out for other channels and gave up using HT bypass on the Konverter with the Oppo analogue front. Far superior in movies to take the down mixed digital stereo out of the Oppo and then the analogue Oppo out to the other channels. 

I don't bother with an AV prepro etc. The Oppos do all I need for now. 

The 205 drives the Konverter to Electrocompaniet AW180 monoblocks then Lenehan ML2 + Rs. Surround goes to an integrated amp to Lenehan ML1+Rs. 

The 103 goes to Klein, an integrated Redgum rgi60enr then Lenehan ML1 Reference. The Redgum is by far the weakest link. 

I don't know of any other device that has the versatility to take HDMI and downmix to 2.0 digital. Then you add in that it still does a good job in outputting analogue to other channels at the same time with trim and delay options.

The 205, among other things, also takes coax and optical multichannel, USB inputs (Eg like a USB DAC) and both the 103 and 205 play music off HD etc or network locations. And yeah, they also play discs. 

Oppos aren't really a Bluray player, this is just a bolt on extra. 

Edited by DrSK

One thing that no one seems to want to answer is, sound wise, what is the difference between a OPPO ( or any Blu Ray player that has the same) that has a dedicated two channel analogue section as opposed to using the stereo left and right part of the 5.1/7.1 analogue section ? I would really love to know the difference, if any.

10 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

One thing that no one seems to want to answer is, sound wise, what is the difference between a OPPO ( or any Blu Ray player that has the same) that has a dedicated two channel analogue section as opposed to using the stereo left and right part of the 5.1/7.1 analogue section ? I would really love to know the difference, if any.

It depends on the model. I have not tried it myself, but the reviews say, for example that the 105 and 205 sound better than the 103 and 203. 

There are several reasons for that including that the ..5 models have a separate better dac for the dedicated 2 channel

(The real question/answer IMO is whether one/you will be able to hear the difference in your specific system?)

Edited by Jventer
18 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Marginal from memory, but enough that you'd want to use the dedicated stereo output. 

Based on all the mods available and talking to DAC designers, in each instance there are other factors at play such as the analogue output stage of each which limits the dedicated chip performance.

For me, the best use was to use the 205 and 103's onboard processing and run an external DAC for stereo and the Oppos analogue for other channels, noting I don't need a centre speaker. 

Edited by DrSK

I am just asking as a general inquiry, is it better to have and use, the dedicated 2 channel stereo analogue section for such, or is the use of the stereo left and right analogue part of the 7.1/5.1 analogue section just as equal in sound quality, if the difference is minimal at best, then I can also consider other OPPO models, not referencing outboard Dacs, just a general inquiry/comparison to what is already provided on said OPPO units.

7 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

I am just asking as a general inquiry, is it better to have and use, the dedicated 2 channel stereo analogue section for such, or is the use of the stereo left and right analogue part of the 7.1/5.1 analogue section just as equal in sound quality, if the difference is minimal at best, then I can also consider other OPPO models, not referencing outboard Dacs, just a general inquiry/comparison to what is already provided on said OPPO units.

Just make a few points here ; the multichannel outs have the bass management circuitry to add noise where the dedicated 2ch are more isolated . And as an example the 105 say has identical sabre ess 8ch dacs on the multi outs and also the 2ch outs . This will probably advantage the 2ch outs similarly to the 95 having ganged ess on its 2ch outs for better signal/noise ratio :)

The 95 has similar traits using identical dacs ; quad differential cuts down common mode noise if you can utilise the balanced xlr's ..

The ES9018 Sabre(32) Reference DAC retains the flexibility of its predecessor in that it can be configured for either Quad Differential Stereo or 7.1 channel modes. OPPO uses both modes in the BDP-95 with one each of the two DACs programmed for stereo and multi-channel.

Note too the 105 had its ess dacs not double ganged from its predecessor due to other needs like the headphone amp .. people did not like that at the time though double blind tests werent carried out afaik..

1 hour ago, Digital Man said:

1 hour ago, Jventer said:

It depends on the model. I have not tried it myself, but the reviews say, for example that the 105 and 205 sound better than the 103 and 203. 

There are several reasons for that including that the ..5 models have a separate better dac for the dedicated 2 channel

(The real question/answer IMO is whether one/you will be able to hear the difference in your specific system?)

As I have said, it is better to have and use the separate better dac 

• Like 1