SOLD: EOI: Gieseler Konverter DAC - Original Tube Version (DAC only, one-off)

Item Condition: very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Hurlstone Park
State: NSW
Payment Method: Paypal (+3.5%), Paypal friend, cash on pick-up
Reason for selling: Not sure ... hence EOI

I bought this from Clay about 2.5 years ago.

It was originally built in mid-2014 and then with Clay until I bought it in mid-2018. The Konverter has been part of my system ever since while a number of other DACs came and went.

Amazing Gieseler quality one of a kind DAC with some added tube goodness. Exceptional build quality and very high spec components – this was originally going to retail for around the $6,000 mark. Almost perfect combination of detail retrieval, musicality and tube-flavour of choice, which is why I kept coming back to this over and over again.

EOI at this stage, as this is one of the very few items I believe I might regret selling. House renos are imminent and I need to simplify system and get rid of some gear.

Link to Clay’s original for sale add with a lot more detail and some additional photos:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/249039-sold-gieseler-konverter-dac-original-tube-version/?tab=comments#comment-3927621

Quote from a PM that Clay sent to when giving the Konverter a final test-run before sending it:

“I compared it to a Gross DAC & was quite surprised with the result. I was expecting more detail from the Gross but it was the other way round. Bottom end was similar on both DAC’s - maybe a fraction tighter on the Gross but not much in it.”

I had one issue with the Konverter a couple of months after buying it. The LDR/optical volume system was drifting out of balance favouring the left channel. Initially adjusted back with the balance trimmer on the PCB inside the Konverter with Clay’s remote support, but kept drifting out of balance. New Optos were ordered from the US, matched and installed by Terry Demole (zenelectro here on SNA) in Sydney with some remote assistance provided by Clay. Problem resolved and no issues in the 2 years since.

The DAC comes with several tubes that I used over the years, so you have a good range of different “flavours” to experiment with:

1.      Genalex Gold Lion E88CC (this was the original tube it came with)

2.      Philips NOS PCC88 (provided by Clay as an option)

3.      Amperex 6922 US Pinched Waist D Getter PQ 1959 (my favourite)

4.      Siemens E88CC grey shield 1966

5.      Telefunken E88CC 1968

Any questions, please ping me a PM or ask here.

I am very reluctant to post this – not due to weight but rather due to potential damage in transit, so pick-up only at the moment. I can deliver within Greater Sydney if required and pre-arranged. No in-home auditions at this stage – sorry.

Cheers,

Ralf

P1110803.jpg

P1110804.jpg

P1110805.jpg

P1110806.jpg

P1110807.jpg

P1110808.jpg

P1110809.jpg

P1110832.jpg

P1111827.jpg

P1111829.jpg

P1111830.jpg

Edited by sunbird
spelling
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Tasty selection of valves in a unique DAC. Long live Amperex!

GLWTS

Yep - more than half the asking price is in the 5 tubes themselves. Just clarifying the Amperex 6922 PW D getter tube was made in December 1958 in the Hicksville plant Long Island, New York. I wouldn't be selling that particular 9-pin mini as it's probably worth a lot. 😁

GLWTS.

I have one of these and also the same Amperex PW. Sounds amazing and you'd have to spend 3-4x to get the same SQ so the original $6K RRP is justified. The only issue with this DAC is nobody knows how good they are.

Very nice, should sound very good indeed...GLWTS 🎼🎼🎼🎼👍

Edited by Mendes

Configure one of these babies as NOS and you’ll be blown away!!! GLWS

• Moderators

Why isn’t this in Melbourne?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tassie Devil
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Dilston State: TAS Payment Method: Bank Transfer Reason for selling: Surplus to requirements Further information: 
      I have two of these but am parting with one.  This is the best DAC I’ve owned and transforms good CDs to sound as good as SACDs and other hi-rez.  I’m often surprised at the AQ being heard and find it is merely CD quality, not Hi-Rez.  One acid test of a DAC;s ability to translate digital to pristine analog is a harpsichord recording.  Most DACs turn this into a jangled mess but the LKS transforms all the complex harmonics into beautifully sounding music.
      This LKS was modded by Rick Schultz and was imported from the USA so comes with a quality step down transformer which effectively isolates the DAC from power line nasties.
      I’ll copy and paste below more info on this DAC gleaned from Rick Schultz net posts and please contact me for any more information.

As far as I know this is the first and only DAC in the world with two ESS9038 DAC chips running in dual mono. But it has so much more: discrete shunt regulators for the output stage, completely discrete output stages (no op amps), serious rectifier diodes, two 40 watt transformers, I2S input, digital volume control, DSD512 capable, Furutech AC inlet, 7 digital filter choices, Cardas output jacks, serious parts, etc. Even the remote is a hunk of aluminum. This thing is huge.....and it sounds amazing....even stock. The simple mods I do tfor a few hundred dollasrs ake it to another level. If you are using anything besides usb it sounds best with the usb board removed. I personally think that usb should always be done externally with a modded Singxer running I2S into the DAC.

A single ESS 9038 DAC is essentially 4 ESS9028 DACs in parallel. So running two of them in mono mode means you essentially have 32 9028 channels in parallel. The more DACs in parallel the better the resolution....this is a know fact.

Taken awhile but finally did some more terrific mods to the LKS and it is now clearly the best DAC I have heard.   Amazing what changing and modding a few parts can do.  Simply stunning!
      I have a friend in Pocoima who has one of these and we have been tweaking them at the same time.  He has a great expensive turntable system  and he says that playing 16/44 from his Beatis server through coax and then through modified IFI spdif Ipurifier and then through modded LKS is at least as good as his turntable system!!  No upsampling....nada....just great sound.
      The Basic mod I have worked out makes a serious improvement in involvement, reality, dynamics, low level detail, imaging, depth, air, lower distortion......well, basically everything.  I do mods to the AC power, the DC power, output stage filtering, all output stages, the spdif type inputs, etc.:
      1.     Remove fuse distortions.
      2.  Remove all steel from around the transformers and remount transformers on pieces of wood.
      3. Twist secondary AC wires.
      4. Apply Graphene contact enhancer on AC connectors on board.
      5. Damp all rectifier diodes with constrained layer damping material
      6. Damp all heatsinks with constrained layer damping material.
      7. Remove all coupling caps on the spdif inputs and replace with custom pure copper wire in cotton (listened to for directionality).
      8. Shorten the signal path on the unbalanced outputs and use our custom wire here.
      9. Change filter caps in output stage to better ones
      10. Change all compensation caps in all output stages to better ones.
      11. Damp certain power supply caps
      12. Remove steel leads from film caps on 3.3V power supply to DAC and orient caps in proper direction (outside foil to ground).
      13. Properly orient poly caps on output of regulators for output stage.
      14. Change IV resistors to high quality ones.
      15. Remount output transistors in IV stages and bend them forward so they are no longer close to the power supply caps and wrap those power supply caps with gold reflective tape to further reduce their temperature.  The transistors in the stock LKS are too close to the caps and can cause them to burn up within a year if left on all the time.  The very latest LKS DACs have the transistors mounted underneath the chassis to eliminate this problem.  My solution works as well.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By BugPowderDust
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Macedon Ranges or Melbourne CBD State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, PAYID, Cash Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Lumin T2 Network Streaming DAC
      I've recently upgraded from the Lumin T2 to a MSB Premier DAC so this is now superfluous to needs.  
      [No the Fender Stratocaster in the background doesn't come with it]

This is a top tier streaming DAC capable of supporting playback of PCM up to 384 kHz and DSD512 with optional internal upsampling to DSD128 and PCM 384 kHz. The Lumin app is great, with support for Spotify, MQA, Tidal, Qobuz, tuneIn and Airplay.  The T2 will also happily function as a Roon endpoint where it did most of its heavy lifting for me.

I have upgraded this unit to the latest and greatest firmware and it has not missed a beat in its time with me. It is in excellent condition, not a scratch on it. It comes in the original double box with all accessories and the receipt from purchase in 2019.  The Lumin T2 has a 2 year global warranty so there is still time to run on this.  If you're looking for something to take your streaming digital playback to the next level, this is the device for you.

Manufacturer Website: https://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-t2.html 
      SNA Review: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/lumin-t2-network-player-review

LUMIN T2 heralds the first redesign of the classic A1/T1 main boards and chassis. This new approach combines solid cnc panel construction with X1 technology to hit the performance sweet spot.
      All-new chassis construction featuring thick cnc panels and an internal power supply  New generation processor provides DSD512 and 384kHz playback Dual ES9028PRO SABRE DACS USB digital audio output Precision 32-bit internal digital volume Discreet clock system for precision timing Low-noise switching power supply with dual stage regulator Resampling to every supported format up to DSD128 and PCM384kHz MQA full decoding Roon Ready, Spotify Connect, MQA, TIDAL, Qobuz, TuneIn and AirPlay-compatible From MQA to DSD, FLAC to WAV, LUMIN can play all the high-resolution formats you could ever want Native support for TIDAL, Qobuz, Spotify and AirPlay-compatible, giving you access to tens of millions of songs New CNC panelled construction offers upgraded structural rigidity and sheilding compared to the T1 The newly-designed thick cnc panels provide the high-end LUMIN family aesthetic  
      Photos:

• By crimsondelagator
      Item Condition: Excellent - fewer than 5 months old. Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Lennox Head State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal, bank transfer, Cash on pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:

The housing is scratch/chip free. Aesthetically & Functionally perfect. Will provide purchase receipt from Minidisc (Dec 2020)

Bought to listen to while nursing our newborn son at night. Turns out it's harder than I thought to relax and kick back to the Grateful Dead when there is a screaming baby beside you. I used it for less then 5 hours. Noob parent realisations... 😐

It sounds great with IEM's and  lower impedance Headphones. Awesome for tidal MQA streaming on the go.

I will also sell the Apple lightening USB Camera adapter (rrp. $65.00 ) to Iphone users ... Note: this accessory is essential if you wish to use with an iphone. If you buy both we will negotiate a discounted price on it. Preference to pm's that want this included - as I now have no use for it.

I'm also selling Campfire Polaris IEM's. The Dragonfly and them make a killer combo. See Darko's thoughts on the paring below.

https://darko.audio/2019/07/10-more-thoughts-on-the-audioquest-dragonfly-cobalt/

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By Pioneer Lux Man
      Item Condition: Excellent for Age Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Tennyson State: QLD Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLA Further information:

Amp is in virtually pristine condition with beautiful, polished walnut timber ends. Comes with both English & Japanese user manuals.  Recently checked & serviced by technician prior to sale. Has a clean bill of original health to offer new owner. No issues whatsoever. Dual Bias was checked & measured with voltage of 247v. Output WRMS per channel measured at 130w @ 8ohm. Extremely well appointed integrated amplifier with mm/mc phono that offers sublime variable auto RIAA equalisation correction. Boasting a host of features, including multiple inputs/outputs & onboard DAC. Variable input voltage. (100-240v 50/60Hz.) High quality speaker wire connections & so on. (See Specs below.)
      Amp is in unmodified, original condition.
      New owner will receive a high end flagship amplifier of outstanding performance & condition. Amp can be auditioned in Tennyson (Brisbane) and packaging/shipping/insurance can be arranged for interstate buyers at cost.

Specification:
      Form
      Digital multi-interface loading Integrated Amplifier
      <Power amplifier part (Line terminal -> SP terminal)>
      Output power (20Hz - 20kHz)
      130W+130W (6ohms)
      110W+110W (8ohms)
      Input sensitivity/impedance
      CD input: 150mV/30kohm
      THD
      0.004% (20Hz - 20kHz, 55W, 8ohm)
      Dynamic power
      350W (2ohms)
      275W (4ohms)
      170W (8ohms)
      TIM distortion
      Below measurement full limits
      Output bandwidth
      5Hz - 100kHz (Output 55W, 0.5%, 8ohms)
      Line-in frequency response
      4Hz - 150kHz, and +0 -3 dB (outputs 1W and 8ohm)
      Output load impedance
      0.1ohm or less
      Output terminal
      Speaker: AorB:6-16ohm, A+B:12-16ohm
      Headset-jack maximum except take-off: 430mW (8ohms), 8-400-ohm conformity
      <A digital interface / the DAC section>
      A digital-input/output level / impedance
      0.5 Vp-p/75ohm same axle
      Standard light input: Two lines
      Frequency response (0dB)
      5Hz-20kHz±0.3dB
      Signal to noise ratio (dB for zero, 1kHz)
      105dB
      Dynamic range (1kHz)
      100dB
      THD (0dB, 1kHz)
      0.0025%
      <Preamplifier part>
      Input sensitivity/impedance
      Phono MM: 2.5mV/47kohm
      Phono MC: 0.2mV/100 ohms
      CD, AUX, Tuner, Tape1, 2PB:150mV/30kohm
      The maximum except take-off/Output power
      8V/150mV
      THD
      0.002% (MM, 1kHz, 8V)
      Equalizer (RIAA) deflection
      20Hz-50kHz±0.3dB (MC IN)
      <Synthesis>
      Signal to noise ratio
      (an input short circuit, the auditory sensation weighting A)
      Phono MM:82dB
      Phono MC: 62dB (at the time of a 0.25mV input)
      Line:108dB
      Tone control characteristic
      Bass: ±8dB (100Hz)
      Treble: ±8dB (10kHz)
      Subsonic Filter
      16Hz, -12 dB/oct
      Loudness control characteristic
      100Hz:+6dB
      10kHz:+6dB
      Muting switch
      -20dB
      Power consumption
      (Electrical Appliance and Material Control Law)
      216W
      Power source
      AC100V – 240v, 50Hz/60Hz
      Dimensions
      (Includes, such as a foot, a knob, and a terminal)
      Width 470x height 181x depth of 420mm

Weight
      19.4kg

‘Translated’ Japanese info Below:

The PMA-890DG Integrated Amplifier features 20bit S.L.C and an optical Class A circuit. The real 20-bit super linear converter of right-and-left channel independence is carried in the D/A converter. Outstanding D/A conversion is performed in response to the 20-bit 8 time oversampling signal made from a digital filter. Moreover, the difference among sampling frequencies, such as CD, DAT, and satellite broadcasting, is identified automatically in a digital multi-interface circuit. Furthermore, the internal clock required for a recovery was made 2powerful PLL composition, and the influence of Gitta (time fluctuation of a digital signal) is lost.

The P.B.S (Penta Block Separated) chassis structure where the inside of amplifier was divided into 5 blocks for every basic circuit is adopted. The magnetic flux of a power-source block and the digital noise of a digital block and a display block have prevented jumping in to other circuits. Furthermore, interference with a very small signal part and the Taishin number part is solved, and an unnecessary fine vibration is simultaneously suppressed by the large improvement in chassis rigidity.

The optical Class A circuit is newly carried in the power amplifier part. This circuit is a Class-A circuit which uses an optical element for transmission of the control signal sent to a bias circuit from a bias control circuit, and has eliminated the mutual intervention between the main signal system and a bias controlling circuit. Moreover, a voltage magnification stage important for the drive of an electric power magnification stage adopts three steps of differential amplification, the first rank adopts ultra-low-noise FET, low-noise-izing and direct-current amplifier-ization are attained, and the final stage of power amplifier is using the high speed and the mass transistor of Pc80W by the parallel push pull.

The power-source part is what heightened instant response capability. A 6.3kg heavy weight class large-sized shield power transformer is adopted as a power transformer, and the pure dynamic circuit of adoption of high-class and large-sized a commutator and an electrolytic condenser and 2-2 system which intercepts a power-source noise is carried.

The wide-range MC/MM equalizer amplifier which adopted direct-current servo system is carried.

The Source-Direct switch which can link all the input sauce with power amplifier directly, broadband real-time tone control and the speaker terminal change of a protection relay system, and the reset type high-speed protection circuit are carried.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By syd
      Item Condition: Used. Excellent, As New Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Moving on. Not using any more Further information:
      Bought this from a fellow SNA member for use during lockdown in Melbourne last year. 
      Sadly don't have time to listen to it much anymore. I know I'm going to regret the sale later on...

Photos: